☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 14, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #362 of 5,932

Perhaps its because of the coming soon Liquid Silicon (to be renamed).

It will have a battery and is much smaller than the Carbon. Probably a lower price too but its still in development and we may not see it til late in the year.

Given the choice, I'd go for the smaller, battery powered model but couldn't resist the price of the Carbon.

Also, as Dr. Cavalli stated, if they don't make anymore than 500, imagine what value/worth the Carbon will become.

EDIT: Carbon still avail. Unlikely another production run will be needed if taking this long to sell out the 1st 500.

Well to be fair $599 is not really chump change anyways.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #364 of 5,932
Earlier there was a discussion about how the Carbon switches from class from A to class B fairly early. Does that mean the amp will actually be in class B or is it really A/B? If it's class B, may I ask how crossover distortion was minimized? The amp seems to measure very well, and by all accounts sounds amazing. I'm very much looking forward to receiving mine :)

P.S. I have a minimal understanding of electronics, so please forgive me if my questions and/or statements are dumb :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #365 of 5,932

I can afford such luxury because I have no life or wife. And if I do find a girlfriend, my audio spending would be greatly reduced lol.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #366 of 5,932
I can afford such luxury because I have no life or wife. And if I do find a girlfriend, my audio spending would be greatly reduced lol.

Let your partner know you have an addiction early on and things should be fine. My wife doesn't object to my many hobbies even if she doesn't understand or care about most of them.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #367 of 5,932
Earlier there was a discussion about how the Carbon switches from class from A to class B fairly early. Does that mean the amp will actually be in class B or is it really A/B? If it's class B, may I ask how crossover distortion was minimized? The amp seems to measure very well, and by all accounts sounds amazing. I'm very much looking forward to receiving mine
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I have a minimal understanding of electronics, so please forgive me if my questions and/or statements are dumb
smily_headphones1.gif

It goes smoothly from A to AB. If I said B earlier it was just a mistake.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #368 of 5,932
That's great news Dr. Cavalli, thank you for the clarification!

By the way, here is the post I was talking about, in case you would like to edit it. The bit about going from A to B is in the last paragraph:

Class A or not Class A is not an absolutely fixed thing. It depends on the topology of the output stages and how they are biased.

Most amps are designed to run Class A for up to a give amount of power and then transition smoothly into Class AB. Exactly at what power output this happens is usually directly related the current bias of the O/P stage.

For example, an amp might be designed to run Class A up to 1W into 50R and then transition to Class AB. Some amps are designed to stay in Class A operation to their full power output.

However, there is a serious tradeoff. The longer you want an amp to stay in Class A (that is the higher power you want in Class A) the higher the bias currents and the higher the power you have to dissipate at idle when the amp is just sitting there doing nothing.

The Liquid Gold, for example, stays Class A to about 2.5W into 50R. But, at idle each output device is cooking at about 4.5-5W and their are 8 output devices in the (balanced) amp.

Since the Carbon is very small and does not have a huge amount of power dissipation capacity, it cannot have high bias currents in the output devices. Thus, it won't run very long in Class A before going into Class B. I don't believe you will notice this transition.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #370 of 5,932

Let your partner know you have an addiction early on and things should be fine. My wife doesn't object to my many hobbies even if she doesn't understand or care about most of them.

The Carbon is chump change compared to the Hugo or Liquid Gold.

Almost none of the good/great stuff in higher-end audio is cheap (and I can barely afford the cheap stuff). But I grew tired of re-buying less capable Fiio amps and limiting myself to headphones under $100.  When I realized I could buy much better components for the combined costs of equipment I will no longer use, something like the Carbon is a no brainer.

After 2014 being the worst year ever for me, enjoying music like never before courtesy of the iBasso R10 and Sony Z7 and iFi iDSD Micro and Oppo PM-3 is priceless. Hopefully, the Carbon will add to that enjoyment. Believe it or not, I got all that equipment over the course of a year (including the Carbon now too) for a combined total less than the cost of a Hugo.

Expensive? Yes. Do I need this stuff to live and breathe? No. But I'm thankful this hobby is keeping my mind occupied and making my music sound like never before. Not to mention each piece can be considered an investment. I take extremely good care of them and could easily resell (I may have to eventually) most with minimal loss.

To each his/her own, but I could be doing a lot worse than having a head-fi "addiction."

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #371 of 5,932
I just placed my order - #100000547. I guess the order number is just that, an identification number for the order and the last three numbers mean nothing? 

Barring a notification that I missed the boat, I guess this will round off my amps with its solid-state / balanced connections...

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #372 of 5,932
The Carbon is chump change compared to the Hugo or Liquid Gold.

Almost none of the good/great stuff in higher-end audio is cheap (and I can barely afford the cheap stuff). But I grew tired of re-buying less capable Fiio amps and limiting myself to headphones under $100.  When I realized I could buy much better components for the combined costs of equipment I will no longer use, something like the Carbon is a no brainer.

After 2014 being the worst year ever for me, enjoying music like never before courtesy of the iBasso R10 and Sony Z7 and iFi iDSD Micro and Oppo PM-3 is priceless. Hopefully, the Carbon will add to that enjoyment. Believe it or not, I got all that equipment over the course of a year (including the Carbon now too) for a combined total less than the cost of a Hugo.

Expensive? Yes. Do I need this stuff to live and breathe? No. But I'm thankful this hobby is keeping my mind occupied and making my music sound like never before. Not to mention each piece can be considered an investment. I take extremely good care of them and could easily resell (I may have to eventually) most with minimal loss.

To each his/her own, but I could be doing a lot worse than having a head-fi "addiction."
I say carbon plus the micro may end up being insanely good for the money.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #373 of 5,932
  I just placed my order - #100000547. I guess the order number is just that, an identification number for the order and the last three numbers mean nothing? 

Barring a notification that I missed the boat, I guess this will round off my amps with its solid-state / balanced connections...

Looks like the earliest order number is #400, so it looks like it's just an overall tracking system Cavalli has in place for orders. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #374 of 5,932

So, assuming all of today's orders are for Liquid Carbons and 10% of buyers purchased two amps (scientific wild-assed guess), close to 170 amps were sold so far. That number will easily be over 200 by morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back