☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour
Apr 18, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #361 of 423
I realize my above impressions sounds rather rosy but if I don't like something I usually limit my comments on it. The way I test gear is to first see 'what' my emotional connection is, how do I react to the sound. From there I break down the reasons 'why', which takes much longer to do. I wish I had more time to break down the 'why' but given the ticking clock I figured I'd better report on the 'what' as soon as I could. I'm running through more tracks and hopefully what I've listed above as one of the examples I've heard so far continues to be the case.

Know this... In a very short time I was able to tell the difference. That's a good thing. :wink_face:

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #362 of 423
Nice impressions! Has Cavalli confirmed a place in London yet? I still want to hear these beasties. Come to papa!

Thanks!

I'm not sure what the Cavalli presence is in London. :)

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #363 of 423
I realize my above impressions sounds rather rosy but if I don't like something I usually limit my comments on it. The way I test gear is to first see 'what' my emotional connection is, how do I react to the sound. From there I break down the reasons 'why', which takes much longer to do. I wish I had more time to break down the 'why' but given the ticking clock I figured I'd better report on the 'what' as soon as I could. I'm running through more tracks and hopefully what I've listed above as one of the examples I've heard so far continues to be the case.

Know this... In a very short time I was able to tell the difference. That's a good thing.
wink_face.gif

Awesome, thanks for getting your impressions in under the wire!  My first impressions of the Carbon vs Crimson were very similar.  The Carbon is excellent, but the Crimson is just... more of everything that is good about the Carbon.  Similar to your metaphor of dipping a toe vs jumping in with both feet.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #364 of 423
Agreed, you hear the improvement immediately with the Crimson, don't have to listen intensely (though describing them does take much more listening).

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #366 of 423
Put some Psychill music (is that the genre name?) that I've recently become of aware of and the Crimson plays LOW down. I mean subwoofer low on the ETHER C. Anyone who says the ETHER C doesn't have bass needs to play the right song on the right amp.

Love it!!

https://ultimae.bandcamp.com/album/season-5-24bits

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #367 of 423
OK, some non-iPhone 5S beauty shots! :D

Beautiful amp, beautiful sound.

Shot with the Canon 7D with 15-85mm kit lens - aperature 5.6, shutter 1.3sec, ISO 250.

:beerchug:

Edit: Another bass happy track:

https://ultimae.bandcamp.com/track/golgotha-24bits

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #368 of 423
Sorry for the multiple posts guys, I'm scattered between clients, listening and trying to get my impressions out. I'll touch on the build quality of the Liquid Crimson now. Unlike the Liquid Carbon, the Liquid Crimson is hefty and SOLID. The front plate and back plates are thick and rigid while the side heat fins add a touch of cool to the amp (ironic as they get quite warm). There is no play in the chassis and you know it's not going to slide around on your desk. The matte black texture on the top of the unit makes the crimson coloured Cavalli logo really pop and seeing the warm glow of the tube through the vent on top is a nice touch. There is zero play with any of the jacks and the connectors all are very solid, front and back. This is a piece that will last! It's almost a metaphor for the sound differences between the Liquid Carbon and the Liquid Crimson. Not quite though as the Liquid Carbon definitely hits above its weight, but, yeah... There's definitely a physical sense of quality that matches with the sound from the Crimson.

Edit: Oh! You guys with the Crimson need to check out the new Amber Rubarth binaural+ track 'Grass Top'. Utterly amazing.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #369 of 423
Hey Relic, make sure you're using the "H" jack.  That's the "main" jack.  The other one has some resistors to quiet the volume but they also raise the output impedance.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #370 of 423
Hey Relic, make sure you're using the "H" jack.  That's the "main" jack.  The other one has some resistors to quiet the volume but they also raise the output impedance.

Yup, thanks. I figured it out already. Just had it plugged in to L jack briefly for the 'photo shoot' before I listened to it. :wink_face:

Does the LAu have a similar setup?

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #371 of 423
Yup, thanks. I figured it out already. Just had it plugged in to L jack briefly for the 'photo shoot' before I listened to it.
wink_face.gif

Does the LAu have a similar setup?

IIRC, both SE ports are the same on the LAu as it's a true balanced amp and each uses two amp modules.  You'll have to depend on the gain switch...

EDIT - 3.5 hours to go...!

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #372 of 423
The looming Cavalli clock says 20 minutes until the end, at least on my browser it does.

Some more track notes:

Eric Clapton - Unplugged - Tears in Heaven - Every detail is well fleshed out with a supporting weight to it. Guitar plucks and reverberation is top notch. Eric's voice is smooth and the background singers well delineated.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours - Gold Dust Woman - A very enjoyable listen with much of the same as above. Instruments are defined well and their realism is up a level. Separation is a winner. Imaging is a winner. Detail retrieval is a winner.

Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem - The space in the track is vast! The decay on the vocals decays beautifully. The bass feels real. The piano has great timbre.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #373 of 423
Stillhart, apparently the Liquid Gold also has the gain reduction resistors in TRS jack 1 for more sensitive headphones. Interesting if this is still the case.

The Absolute Sound notes it here, third paragraph from the top (however, this is the old design with the five jacks):

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/cavalli-audio-liquid-gold-headphone-amplifier/

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #374 of 423
@Stillhart, apparently the Liquid Gold also has the gain reduction resistors in TRS jack 1 for more sensitive headphones. Interesting if this is still the case.

The Absolute Sound notes it here, third paragraph from the top (however, this is the old design with the five jacks):

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/cavalli-audio-liquid-gold-headphone-amplifier/

Yes it is, I confirmed with Alex.  Nice catch!

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #375 of 423
Thanks for the confirmation from Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back