☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour
Apr 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #331 of 423
Question to LAu outputs.
Description on the Cavalli web: two single-ended 1/4 "TRS balanced one 4-pin XLR, balanced two 3-pin XLR.
The photo show only one balanced XLR 4-pin and two balanced 3-pin XLR.
Is it only illustrative photo?

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #332 of 423

Heheh. Peridot why are you trying to be a wit, you're a gem!    g,d,r....

Thanks all. I decided to go with the LAu. Order placed.The wait will be excruciating, good thing the Carbon will tide me over. I'm listening to Coachella live streams right now thru the Carbon. It's amazing the quality of audio that can be achieved streaming live concert events these days. As a recent grandpa I can only imagine the audio delights when he becomes
old enough to appreciate good live music. Probably virtual concert space experiences! 

You mean green and a little bit precious .. yep, that's about right 
redface.gif

smile.gif

Certainly green with envy at your LAu, try to enjoy the anticipation.

I never realised Coachella was streamed ... off to watch some of that now, thanks.

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #333 of 423
  Question to LAu outputs.
Description on the Cavalli web: two single-ended 1/4 "TRS balanced one 4-pin XLR, balanced two 3-pin XLR.
The photo show only one balanced XLR 4-pin and two balanced 3-pin XLR.
Is it only illustrative photo?

I think the 3-pin XLRs have a combined 1/4" jack in the centre, so can be used for either connector type.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #335 of 423
1 Day and 3 hours left!

Is anyone still on the fence?  Any questions the tour members can answer?  

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #336 of 423
  1 Day and 3 hours left!

Is anyone still on the fence?  Any questions the tour members can answer?  

I'm ready to pull the trigger but even after reading many positive comments regarding the pairing with the HD800, I'm still a little worried over how well the Gold will handle the sometimes problematic highs of the HD800.  It's too bad that I'm unable to listen to the pairing first to allay those fears.  Regardless, most likely I'll be clicking the "buy" button on the Cavalli website tomorrow.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #337 of 423

I'm ready to pull the trigger but even after reading many positive comments regarding the pairing with the HD800, I'm still a little worried over how well the Gold will handle the sometimes problematic highs of the HD800.  It's too bad that I'm unable to listen to the pairing first to allay those fears.  Regardless, most likely I'll be clicking the "buy" button on the Cavalli website tomorrow.

Do you find the highs on the HD800 to be an issue with the Carbon or Crimson?

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #341 of 423
Thanks for the reassurances!

FWIW, I agree with Stillhart. I actually think the LAu has the smoothest treble with the HD800 of any of the amps in the Cavalli lineup. It's my favorite with them, personally.

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #342 of 423
In light of the information provided by those on the tour, I have requested an upgrade from the Crimson to the Gold.  Thanks for those efforts.  The HE-6 and both versions of the HD 800 will be the top cans be paired with the new amp, along with balanced SACD capable decks and a good turntable & cartridge.  Although it will cause a bigger bite from my wallet, I was moved by the even higher quality sound, three inputs and balanced configuration.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #344 of 423
  You're in agreement that the LAu is the best choice for HD800.
Is it such a consensus for Audeze LCD 2 / X or Ether?

I heard the Gold with the Ether and I thought it was the best I'd heard them.  As used to the HD800 as I am, I find the Ether to be a little too laid back in the highs.  I think the Gold opened up the highs a bit, giving the headphones more air without making them harsh or sibilant.  They kept that laid back feel, they just didn't sound as "congested" (for lack of a better word).  Yes, I realize this is almost the opposite effect as the HD800 and I can't explain it but it's pretty cool.  

And of course all that power does wonders for that planar bass.  I haven't heard it with the Audeze yet, but I suspect they'd experience similar benefits?

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #345 of 423
I heard the Gold with the Ether and I thought it was the best I'd heard them.  As used to the HD800 as I am, I find the Ether to be a little too laid back in the highs.  I think the Gold opened up the highs a bit, giving the headphones more air without making them harsh or sibilant.  They kept that laid back feel, they just didn't sound as "congested" (for lack of a better word).  Yes, I realize this is almost the opposite effect as the HD800 and I can't explain it but it's pretty cool.  

And of course all that power does wonders for that planar bass.  I haven't heard it with the Audeze yet, but I suspect they'd experience similar benefits?

Tightens up the bass? More amplitude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back