☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour
Apr 29, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #391 of 423
  Still on the fence.

Is this still a good value with $200 higher price compared to first batch, only 1 year warranty and no discount code for the big amps

At $800, what other amps can be considered?  I read about Mjolnir2, but that cannot be the only alternate.

I'm preparing myself to place the order for a $1200 DAC to go with my first run Liquid Carbon.  Most people around head-fi would most likely tell me I'm silly for spending so much more, basically double, for a complimentary piece.

But I bet if I polled the other first run owners, the most popular response would be along the lines of,  "Oh yeah, totally good idea..."  Why is that?  Because the Liquid Carbon is worth it.  When you hear it, I think you'll totally understand.  At least I hope you will.

There are a couple people here pairing the LC with the $3000 HE1000, $2000 Hugos, $2000 LCD-3s, someone else with a $2400 Yiggy.  And on and on and on....

Yes, its worth it...

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #392 of 423
  Still on the fence.

Is this still a good value with $200 higher price compared to first batch, only 1 year warranty and no discount code for the big amps

At $800, what other amps can be considered?  I read about Mjolnir2, but that cannot be the only alternate.

Value is a difficult concept with any audio equipment given how good even basic kit is these days.

I would say that your concerns over warranty and discount codes are largely irrelevant. The longer warranty on batch 1 just ensures that the brand is not damaged by the potential defects resulting from the poor sub-contracted manufacturing, the second batch will be fine. The discount code was a short term thing and I suspect you're not be going to make a quick decision on upgrading to a ~$3000 alternative to the batch 2 LC.

At $600 I'd say the LC was good value (taking account of the additional cost of balanced cables to exploit its potential). At $800 I probably would consider other options.

A lot depends on whether you want a compact transportable amp, if so I'm not sure there's much to challenge the LC.

But if size and form factor is not a consideration, and you'd be prepared to buy second-hand, then $800 could present a world of options.

I suspect I haven't helped at all 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #393 of 423
Then there is the Spark. I can't wait for it. Some say it is better I say it is different but just as good. It will not be balanced so not as much juice as the Carbon. It is a great little amp. I wish I could afford the Gold or Glass but it is not to be. I still would buy the new Carbon in a heartbeat at the price glad I got mine when I did.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #394 of 423

Value is a difficult concept with any audio equipment given how good even basic kit is these days.

I would say that your concerns over warranty and discount codes are largely irrelevant. The longer warranty on batch 1 just ensures that the brand is not damaged by the potential defects resulting from the poor sub-contracted manufacturing, the second batch will be fine. The discount code was a short term thing and I suspect you're not be going to make a quick decision on upgrading to a ~$3000 alternative to the batch 2 LC.

At $600 I'd say the LC was good value (taking account of the additional cost of balanced cables to exploit its potential). At $800 I probably would consider other options.

A lot depends on whether you want a compact transportable amp, if so I'm not sure there's much to challenge the LC.

But if size and form factor is not a consideration, and you'd be prepared to buy second-hand, then $800 could present a world of options.

I suspect I haven't helped at all 
biggrin.gif

The reason people were so excited for the LC in the first place is because you get the Cavalli house sound in an affordable package.

Even if you believe it's not the crazy value of the $600 price, you're ignoring the fact that it's giving you something that can't be quantified on paper.  Sure there are other amps that are as technically good for the price of $800.  But none of them will give you the Cavalli "magic" that so many people love.  It's a flavor thing, but flavor is important.  If I'm the only person selling chocolate and chocolate is your favorite flavor, you're going to value my ice cream a lot more than any others at the same price.

To be sure, the sound isn't everyone's cup of tea.  But for those who do enjoy the sound, it's an absolutely great deal for the price.  I happen to be one of them and I'd wager to say that anyone who still owns a first-fun Carbon at this point is as well.

May 3, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #395 of 423
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I hope i will be able to pull the trigger..Just two days left.

On a side note, i also hope that there wont be a Carbon 2 around the corner. I understand that's how the business model works, but its not pleasant knowing i spend mega bucks on an amp and a better version gets released in a year or two.

Happened with my Schiit stack, except i didn't spend 'mega bucks' 
rolleyes.gif

May 10, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #397 of 423
Due to some delays in the schedule of the tour "bus", the LAu got to Philly a little later than planned, but am now listening to it with some borrowed Ether-C's (thanks Andrew) and oh, my effin' lord is the Liquid Gold a sweet amp! Much more playing to be done, but the detail, the bass, the black background - it's all truly world-class and effortless. Now to fight the battle of sleep versus listening more and more - I don't see sleep winning anytime soon. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers 

May 11, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #398 of 423
Due to some delays in the schedule of the tour "bus", the LAu got to Philly a little later than planned, but am now listening to it with some borrowed Ether-C's (thanks Andrew) and oh, my effin' lord is the Liquid Gold a sweet amp! Much more playing to be done, but the detail, the bass, the black background - it's all truly world-class and effortless. Now to fight the battle of sleep versus listening more and more - I don't see sleep winning anytime soon. :wink_face:  

Cheers 

I found myself pretty sleep deprived as well when I had the LAu in house.

May 11, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #399 of 423
So the tour is still on? I thought it was too late to order these, and this was the last production run. Hmmm, am really curious about the Gold, but I'm sure I'm better off not auditioning it...:xf_eek:

May 11, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #400 of 423
So the tour is still on? I thought it was too late to order these, and this was the last production run. Hmmm, am really curious about the Gold, but I'm sure I'm better off not auditioning it...:xf_eek:

The official tour is over, this last stop is more of an encore after the main show. Due to some logistical issues during the main part of the tour my stop had to be extended until after the order period was over.

Still the LAu is an very impressive beast!!!

May 11, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #401 of 423
The official tour is over, this last stop is more of an encore after the main show. Due to some logistical issues during the main part of the tour my stop had to be extended until after the order period was over.

More please.... I just like reading impressions of the LAu. :)

May 11, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #402 of 423
Due to some delays in the schedule of the tour "bus", the LAu got to Philly a little later than planned, but am now listening to it with some borrowed Ether-C's (thanks Andrew) and oh, my effin' lord is the Liquid Gold a sweet amp! Much more playing to be done, but the detail, the bass, the black background - it's all truly world-class and effortless. Now to fight the battle of sleep versus listening more and more - I don't see sleep winning anytime soon. :wink_face:  

Cheers 

I found myself pretty sleep deprived as well when I had the LAu in house.

More please.... I just like reading impressions of the LAu. :)

Yes the Liquid Lau is just an amazing amp. I lost many hours of sleep, listening to the magical LAU. Looking forward to reading Mscott58's impressions on the magical Liquid Lau.

May 13, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #404 of 423
So have done a little A/B'ing with the LC and the LAu (not incredibly easy given I have to unplug/plug the DAC each time) and have a few high level thoughts:
  1. The house sound of Cavalli is definitely consistent across the LC and LAu. If you like one, you'll like the other. 
  2. The LAu sound is just so clear and impactful. The background is black and the entirety of the audio spectrum is very well defined. It's like when you think you're seeing fine, then you put on a pair of prescription glasses and everything just pops into focus. The LC isn't out of focus really, it's just that the LAu is so perfectly focused that it knocks your socks off. 
  3. The LAu, she's a hot little beast - literally. That much power comes with a little warmth, but nothing bad.
  4. I really like the "turn-on" safety mechanism of the LAu - kind of makes the amp a bit more idiot proof. However, I have to admit that when I first plugged it in I thought it was broken! Then after the few minutes of warm-up/safety-check all was good.
  5. The LAu rocks both my reference LCD-3F's and the Ether-C's that Andrew has loaned me for the test. However, I've been mainly using the Ether-C's as it allows me to listen more easily when others are around (such as my wife sleeping, which I should be doing!).
  6. Everything about the LAu exudes quality, from the case, to the finish, to the packaging, to the volume pot - it's all high-class (and better be for the price!). Well done Alex.
  7. The LAu is truly a reference amp, and allows you to pick apart differences in other gear quite easily. It's effortless, and shows those who are not. 
  8. Great, great stuff! Top of the line is redefined for me now that I've had time to spend up-close-and-personal with this masterpiece. It also makes me wonder about the LW and what else Dr. Cavalli has up his sleeves...
    wink_face.gif

Cheers all

May 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #405 of 423

I'm preparing myself to place the order for a $1200 DAC to go with my first run Liquid Carbon.  Most people around head-fi would most likely tell me I'm silly for spending so much more, basically double, for a complimentary piece.

But I bet if I polled the other first run owners, the most popular response would be along the lines of,  "Oh yeah, totally good idea..."  Why is that?  Because the Liquid Carbon is worth it.  When you hear it, I think you'll totally understand.  At least I hope you will.

There are a couple people here pairing the LC with the $3000 HE1000, $2000 Hugos, $2000 LCD-3s, someone else with a $2400 Yiggy.  And on and on and on....

Yes, its worth it...

Very curious what you are considering as I am thinking of what my next purchase will be, @Xmas time, and would love to step up my DAC after I get my LC and give it a month or two with the nano iDSD as the DAC. Been considering Audio-GD 19, PS Audio Nuwave  or Hegel HD12 as I want balanced connections going forward. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back