£100 earphones for electronic music on the go?
Oct 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jafingi

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so take good care of me 
etysmile.gif

I'm looking for some new earphones that I can use on the go. Right now I have some HDJ-2000, but I would really like having some in-ear.

The device I'm listening from is my iPhone 4, and no amp, so they should be able to be used with my iPhone. At home i have a TC. Konnekt 6 firewire interface, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I mainly listen to electronic music, not the bass-pumping house, but more electronica and ambient, where there's a great focus on details and soundspace, and a good (but also deep) bass.

Also, I like trance music a lot, so I'm looking for some earphones that goes well with electronic music, have a great treble and mid, but also a precise bass that doesn't disturb too much. Most of the music I buy is lossless, and if that's not available, I'm going for at least 320kbps MP3.

Here's some examples of what I like to listen to:
  1. Derek Howell - Riding In Taxis (Kobana & Yane3dots Remix) - Youtube link
  2. D-Mad - She Gave Me Happyness (Arty Remix) - Youtube link
  3. Trentemøller - Evil Dub - Youtube link
  4. Above & Beyond - You Got To Go - Youtube link
  5. Carbon Based Lifeforms - Endosphore - Youtube link

Hope that clears everything up! Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward for some suggestions.

Edit: Is it possible to get some where I can replace the earplugs? I.e. if I in the future find some better/get custom molded earplugs?

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 13
The Panasonic HJE900, Sennheiser IE7, Turbine, Sony EX600, EX510 are highely recommended.

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not really into over-the-ear kind of earphones, so I would prefer something else than the EX600's.

What about UE Triple Fi 10? Or any other suggestions?

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 13
the TF10 also goes over ear,

look at the Hippo VB, Monster Turbine , Panasonic HJE900, and a lot more.

we've got a good list in the Basshead Club thread, go there. the link is in my signature. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 13
HJE900 overall is really really great for the play.com price. But the bass is slightly muddied and has less texture compared to SE215. If you want thumping deep bass, the Panasonic is better, though.

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Not to threadjack or anything but I'm in the exact situation as the OP. I bought the ex600 last week and they just are bassy enough for my tastes, however they are really comfortable and good for other genres. I also have the SP51s but they just dont have the subbass that I heard from a pair of MTPC I use to own. With that said, I've been looking for something with good subbass, and the mids not being too recessed, kinda like the DT990 (sorry haven't heard enough IEMs to compare) So I've been eyeballing a couple of IEMs that might fit the bill:

Sennheiser IE7 ~$100 (refurb)
Futuresonics Atrio MG7 ~$170
Radius DDM ~$150
MTPG/MTPC/MD? ~$200-$250

Isolation really isnt a big deal to me, I use them primarily at work, however comfort is a must. I also prefer to wear my earphones straight-down, the memory wire on the sonys bug me. So for 200 bucks and less what would be a suitable suggestion.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 13
So should I choose Sennheiser IE7 or Phonak PFE 012? :)

Don't want them to be TOO bassy. But I want the bass to be clean, filthy and fast, while preserving good treble and mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back