beyerdynamic Tesla T1

Average User Rating:
4.57143/5,
  1. zellous
    "The best sound quality I've ever heard from headphones, world class with high resolution audio and Blu-ray"
    Pros - Treble, mid-range, bass, sub bass, sound stage, separation, comfort, lightweight, resolution, clarity, detail, good quality cable, replaceable earpads
    Cons - Non-replaceable fixed cable (addressed on 2nd Gen), some plastic used on the construction instead of aluminium (probably being picky)
    My audio set up & connective trail:
    16 & 24-Bit WAV lossless files,
    Foobar2000 with WASAPI event output,
    Oyaide d+ class S USB Type B cable,
    iFi micro iUSB purifier,
    Furutech Formula 2 USB mini cable,
    Meridian Explorer 2 DAC,
    Pure silver litz 3.5mm to RCA cable,
    Teac A-H01 amplifier,
    Modded Beyerdynamic T1 headphones with internal damping.

My amplifier is connected to a custom Nordost Heimdall 2 power cable with a IEGO pure silver IEC & a Furutech rhodium FI-UK plug with a AMR gold plated fuse inside.

What more can I say about these brilliant headphones?
    They are engaging, versatile, transparent, musical, fun, involving, encompassing and a great all-rounder.
    Just try and listen to them if you have the chance, sumptuous sound and very lightweight and comfortable. It is not clamping on my head nor do the great velour ear pads make my ears and head hot and sweaty. Which is rather forgotten about amongst fellow audiophiles... It doesn't matter how good a headphone is, if they're not comfortable then forget about them.
    I don't just listen to them for music but for watching movies on Blu-ray and gaming.

I modded my T1 with the spare foam discs that came with the Beyerdynamic EDT 770V ear pads (tried those grey ear pads but preferred the sound of the original EDT T1V black ones) because there was a bit too much sibilance and bass distortion when playing at load volume, that got rid of that and made them slightly more warmer and the bass more smoother.

Just to be clear, these are not portable headphones (impedance 600 Ohm, semi-open design, fixed 6.3mm connecter). Nor are they closed-back headphones, they leak a lot of sound and are intended for private listening with a fairly powerful amplifier.

Listen to them if you can, I hope you enjoy them as much as me : )

My headphones:
    Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open-back,
    Bang and Olufsen H3 in-ear,
    Grado GS1000,
    Denon AH-MM400.

Update 1: I just wanted to add that there is more depth and a bigger sound stage without the mod, a bit more clarity and detail but the mod does add a bit more warmth and a more encompassing bass...
    I have reverted back to stock because I hope to do a fair comparison with my Grado GS1000 soon.
    I recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro but I think I'm only going to keep open/semi-open back headphones, sound is a living thing.
    It needs air to live ; )
  2. Peter Hyatt
    "The Mercedes Benz of Headphones"
    Pros - Soundstage Fidelity, Depth, Highs, Lows and everything in between
    Cons - none since detachable cable now added...
    The most perfect, all-round headphone!  The Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd gen) repaired the only 'negative' I could find in the first gen:  I wanted the detachable cable and the 2nd generation has done it.

These have the most perfect, natural sound I have ever heard.  The soundstage is remarkable, the highs are rich without being shrill, and the bass is beautiful, natural and without any 'coloring' for those who listen to heavy bass music.

The T1 is marvelous for anything; classical, folk, rock, blues, and so on.  It handles deep driving bass, just as well as it handles high vocals.  It is the most 'all round' useful headphone that is comfortable for hours and allows for clarity that is how it was intended to be heard.

The T1 when used with Chord Mojo presents stunning clarity and music the way it was meant to be experienced.  These are perfect life long headphones!
    Light - Man likes this.
  3. Synthax
    "Balanced and smooth (as possible as dynamic driver can be). Great finish and comfort for long listening"
    Pros - Good frequency response, separation,rhythm and drive, details, layering. Coherence in presentation. Perfect for all string instruments sounds.
    Cons - Unforgiving for harsh sonic material, bad recorded music or weak gear.
    I like T1 V2 for overall competence in sound presentation. Solid build and comfort. There are better headphones in particular areas but these others are not that good all-rounders as T1 are.

I do listem many genres of music (I love movie scores, acoustic music, hard rock) but symfonic music is where T1 shines. The dynamics and layering is just great. You will never be bored with classical music on T1. The details, linearity, clear view for the sound is just amazing. I was looking for such a headphones for 2 years, hearing many others. And only few I was considering seriously were HE6, but I did choose solid german tradition in this matter. Beyerdynamic does not produce perfect headphones, but the headphones with less possible faults possible, while many other headphones did have lot of faults... In sonic reproduction and also in build. So the decision was basing on sound, and overall quality approach and durability of product ( I don't know why in US there is a lot of driver mismatches and so problems with Beyedynamic headphones...)

There is opinion that T1 V1 sound good with OTL amps. IT could be. But I did not find the OTL sound pleasing to me (in my particular experience) and the Solid State in my case was much better sounding. But what I want to say is: don't be afraid to check T1 V2 with SS amps. You may be surprised.

Are the T1 V2 bright as many people say about T1 line? Well, I'd say these are 'well lightened' in sound. The smoothness of heights and mids does not make them harsh, or strident (like for example TH900/600 are to me) V2 is a bit different from V1. How much? It is hard to describe. But I know people, like me, who didn't like V1 that much to buy it while V2 are in my possesion.

These are absolutelty worth to audition in our flooded heapphones market. These grow up with time in your audio chain, but are not for everyone. These are not great for example for modern pop and music like Justin Bieber or 'digital trash' rock. As such music is far away from good dynamics and nuances and 3-dimensonality (while in contradictory Daft Pank sounds perfect with them). Clou: the better the music the better the sound with T1.

Here's the list of headphones I was considering as final group during the research (audiotioned)
    First position is best liked and the last less liked (my totally subjective likings):

T1 V2

HD600
    ...
    dede4metal likes this.
  4. KopaZ
    "Beyerdynamic T1, very stronk (+comparisons)"
    Pros - the mids, the soundstage, the imaging/detail.
    Cons - cable is bulky, treble harshness for some people

Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (Gen 1) review

*May include some crappy comical memes*

1729057.jpg

After owning so much dynamic headphones, I stumbled upon the T1.

I loved it; except I *accidentally* made hole in the diaphragm while I was trying to reconnect that less-than-hair-thick-cable that I popped out from driver to circuit.

I still had some headphones that I had before buying the T1; Sennheiser HD598,650,700 and AKG K712 (and M70x, but m70x is closed back).

the closest headphones that produced "right" sound signature to me, was HD700, except it was slightly bright, with tight bass. I decided I'd just use this HD700 till end of my life.

Except we all know, when we realize something else does better job for you, you're not going to buy something worse than one you had/listened to it.

This was exactly what happened to my life. Make holes on bank account out of some $1400 military paycheck that I'd been screwing around, while I was on training (and couldn't pass the training because of damn push-ups).

I've decided to sell all my headphones, except for one closed-back and one open-back.

the Ah-d5000 (I solved the bass issue by EQing it), and the HD700.

Except I also sold the HD700 because I wanted the T1 sound back.

bye bye, Sennheiser.

TL;DR: being an audiophile does break your bank account.

60499904.jpg

[​IMG]

Welcome to Head-fi. Now, hand over your bank account so we can slaughter your piggy bank.

First Impression

The musicality.

smooth bass, mids, mids mids. the soundstage. very impressive, many wows.

the detail. I have yet to find any of my headphones having T1-like detail (except for AKGs, but my K712 was too bassy for me; didn't go really well with classicals either)

(more or less)

In-depth review

unboxing/packaging

Luckily, the last owner of this T1 had everything with the original packaging (thanks punit.)

It comes on a box, like all other headphones.

Except there's another aluminum box that looks like a tank armour (maybe I can shoot a crossbow bolt onto it, except the box looks really expensive to build).

Stronk Beyerdynamic case.

yep, obviously put something expensive on expensive-looking box so people can steal it!

Comfort/build

extremely comfortable. Only thing that can match T1 comfort that I had on my inventory was HD700.

HD700 pads are softer however; the headphones itself, is lighter than T1 (because most of the parts are made out of plastic *COUGH COUGH*)

The build?

1729057.jpg

No, seriously.

Most parts are made out of steel.

There's steel frame inside the headband (which is leather), the cup is steel.

the only part that is not steel, is frame inside the headphones (but It wouldn't matter because they are covered by steel), and the plastic that covers ends of leather headband.

very, very strong steel headphones.

(jet fuel can't melt steel beams)

Some thoughts about design..

The Gen 1 T1 (yes, beyerdynamic released the Gen 2 T1 if you were wondering) does not have detachable cable, while my T1 from punit had the 4 pin mini xlr detachable cable mod (aka audzeze style), done by BTG audio. the stock cable, is bulky, heavy, and long (10 ft)

Im using 5N PCOCC silver-plated cable (4ft) for this review.

Source: MSI GT72 (here comes the *overpriced* gaming laptop)

USB connections to FiiO E18 > Audioquest Evergreen cable > Schiit (pronounced shih-tah) > 6.5mm gold plated jack > 3.5mm gold plated jack+5N PCOCC silver plated 4ft cable > T1

Summary: Insanely immersive, huge soundstage (only HD800 can beat the size of soundstage IMO, maybe AKG)

detail: you probably aren't going to scoop out of everything that you can find, but I was able to hear some breathing of vocalists and instrument players. HD800 is the way for scooping out the details. Overall sound signature is very natural, compared to the HD800, while HD800 mainly focuses of being neutral/reference class.

And dare I say that T1 gives sense of realism.

Bass:

you do get the sense of feeling that bass is there. T1 is not bass heavy IMO, but it certainly does have some impact.

Sub-bass reproduction, is very transparent

excellent if you don't want to have bass impact over other frequencies (unlike the bassheavy ah-d5000, which I had to EQ the bassrange by 3dbl)

from my memory, HD700 has more bass impact than the T1.

track used for bass testing: FTL: Faster Than light (Original SoTundtrack), Space Cruise (title track)/Last Stand

(256kbps AAC. damn you iTunes, where is my lossless download option)

Mids:

Best part of the T1, IMO.

maybe the part that makes T1 shining because of it's musicality over HD800. (But T1 certainly is not neutral compared to HD800)

Liquid and Fun; at least for me. One more credit to the T1 for the musicality that it provides to my ear.

Clarinets from the Brahms sound just so fun, with the spacious/soundstage that T1 has.

(When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Stax-009...)

Tracks used: Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op 115: Adagio (Johannes Brahms), by BBC Music. (16bit 1411kbps PCM)

Treble:

HERE COMES THE LISTENING FATIGUE!!!

(not really)

Treble on T1 isn't that reavling compared to my 10-minutes session of HD800 and months of listening on HD700.

Musicality over detail, Im presuming. Again, you can see it's there, and for me, the treble on T1 isn't bothering me at all (im using magni 2 as amp with E18 as dac.)

Pokemon Omega Ruby&Alpha Sapphire soundtrack: Ever Grande City, 256kbps AAC (damn you iTunes again)

Klavierkonzert Nr. 17 KV 453-I, Allegro, 16bit 1411kbps PCM.

Not really revaling/netural as HD800, but it's not making me deaf or make my ear ring; so that's good.

you probably won't need them tubes to tame 8Khz bothersome treble on T1.

You certainly will (and probably put hot sauce over HD800) need a tube to calm the treble down on HD800.

that's me after demo of HD800 in stereo exchange, manhattan NY.
    (except I didn't had earbleed, but my ear was pretty darn hurt. thanks, sennheiser)

Soundstage/Detail/Imaging
    T1 a King derp of Dynamic headphones along with HD800, well.
    Insanely large soundstage, precise and more like layered feelings of imaging.
    I wouldn't tell someone that T1 is revealing, however. HD800 is way to go, IMO.
    But, soundstage of T1 with imaging/airyness/detail sure does give sense that T1 is very fun headphones to listen with.

Overall:
    Yeah, it's expensive. again, welcome to head-fi.
    but for price range of  going around $600, while HD800 is at $900ish? your opinion, I guess.
    Pros: pretty much everything to me, really, plus the fun sound.
    Cons: (for people who don't have T1 with detachable cable mod) cable is heavy and bulky.
    Yeah, I know high-ends were meant to use it at home, but my E12 drives T1 really well (40% volume knob at 0 gain).
    The design: Typical beyerdynamic design, but it sure does look $waggy enough to wear it on your neck.
    It might be more durable/look cooler if beyer used aluminum part for the plastic area that covers ends of headphones (aka where it shows S/N).
    Very comfortable. often times, it just disappears from my head aswell.

stars1.jpg
    I tip my fedora to you sir, Beyerdynamic.
    My next headphones? Stax, I bet. someone should recommend me some fun sounding headphones that surpasses T1 imaging/detail/mids/staging.

Update 1:
    I just got my asgard (not the asgard 2) amp.
    T1 gets gets more of smoother, realistic sounding bass, while it gets slightly darker, it still retains it's tonal balance (i'd say the amp makes T1 more natural rather than netural).

Swolenasty likes this.
  5. goldgears55
    "Superb sound quality all rounder."
    Pros - Great detail, transparent, image, tonal balance, Musical, sound stage.
    Cons - need good amp to match drive its fully performance.
    Very fun headphone I have heard with the good matching amp to drive its real performance. I've quite happy with my HIFI-M8 and iphone 4 with the headphone. The sound quality is top north for all rounder.Everything is just right.!!
  6. JacquesYeoh
    "1 word, Mercedes Benz."
    Pros - Amazing soundstage, Crystal clarity, punchy bass, build quality
    Cons - Comforts (7/10)
    Pre-notes:

First of all, this is my first review. If i said anything wrong, please be gentle on me
    The headphones i owned before purchasing T1 are Shure SE215 and Audio Technika M50 Limited editions
    Considering the price gaps, it is a pretty huge jump from these two products to Beyer T1
    I have never expect myself to be that crazy, to purchase a 1.4k USD headphone
    But after an audition with T1, I immediately changed my mind.

I am by no means a professional audiophile. Im just a humble 22 years old fresh graduate with passions in music
    All the comments given below are from a perspective of guitarist, home studio recording, classical music lovers and pop music lovers.

Unboxing
    The unboxing experience of T1 is amazing. It comes with a huge aluminium casing (not portable), and the headphone is nicely sitting inside with protective foams
    Thats it. The unboxing is pretty straight forward with only some documentations and no accessories are included
    Really appreciate if Beyerdynamic offer a portable solid carrying case rather than an aluminium box. Most of us wont store our T1 into that box anyway

Build Quality
    As the title says, Mercedes Benz. It is elegant, solid, classic and performance.
    It doesn't have the fancy design like HD800 or Final Audio Pandora. Like every other beyer headphones, this beast is built to last for decades
    When I first touched it, it felt Yin and Yang. The material of the headband is Yin, it is so soft and smooth that i wish I shaved my hair just to feel the smoothness
    The materials of the rest of the headband are Yang. It is build with strong alloy materials with limited-to-none presence of plastic.
    For the cables, The quality of the cable is amazing. It is a Neutrik cable. Although it is not the best, but it does performs very very well with T1
     Also, for me it is definitely a good thing that they soldered the cable into the headphones. It will save my wallet from bleeding heavily in the future :)

Comforts
    Comfort issues is always my issue, because the size of my head is VERY big. You cannot imagine how big it is.
    Although my head is huge, I am able to fit T1 comfortably on my head. The headband material is so smooth that makes me wants to shave my hair now
    The only problem with comforts is that when I am wearing it, my ear has contact with the driver's layer
    Yes. My head is big, my ear is big too. When playing certain punchy songs, my outer layer of my right ear can feel the trembles of the headphone. It makes me very uncomfortable sometimes
    Well, after all I might be the only one who is facing this issue. The only way to solve this is to find the keep adjusting the headphone positon, find my sweet spot and stay still.

Combination with AMP/DAC
    The AMP/DAC i used in this review is the latest Sony UDA-1 Desktop AMP/DAC and portable GoVibe Magnum. Both amplifier are rated to drive up to 300 ohms
    T1 Tesla technology might be the reason that it became AMP/DAC friendly.
    Although T1 is rated as 600 ohms, my current setups is able to achieve optimal listening volume with only 60-70% of the maximum volume

Surprisingly, Sony UDA-1 and Beyerdynamic T1 is like a match of heaven.
    Sony UDA-1 has introduced a new level of clarity and incredible vocals together with Beyerdynamic T1
    In the point of view of studio recording, I am a guitarist and i make home recordings every weekends
    While playing back my recordings, i can precisely listen to details such as my strumming pattern (Up or down) and the sound of my finger scratched the fretboard
    Also, when i'm performing several other guitar techniques, hammer on/pull off/ plucking/ sliding etc, I can precisely point out all the mistakes i make during the recording and refine it again and again.

From the point of view of music appreciation, I believe everyone knows T1 has a beautiful soundstage, king of the mid, high treble and punchy bass.
    With the help of Sony UDA-1 and its DSEE engine, it adds in some sense of emotion when I'm listening to sad songs from Adele. It makes me want to cry

Suspicious Issues
    The first unit I received has a very strange blasting/hissing sound when playing certain songs such as Magic, Coldplay and Lights, Ellie Goulding.
    I am sure that this has nothing to do with the song quality or DAC. The format is lossless and the audition unit at the headphone store doesn't have this issue
    Perhaps this has nothing to do with the build quality, or perhaps this is due to the headphone is not fully burned it yet, or perhaps it is a defect
    I went back to the store and I tested 3 new units of T1 (Including mine). Out of 3 units, 2 units has this problem

7. smitty1110
    "T1, a very competative TOTL offering"
    Pros - Detail, imaging, tonal balance, intimate feel to music, solid build quality
    Cons - The cable is underwhelming, some strange soundstage stuff in unique cases
    Boilerplate stuff

Audio setup -
        FLAC files in Media Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAS -> Project Ember with 80's Amprex 7062 tube

Music -
        Nabucco, Vienna Philharmonic and Vienna State Opera Chorus conducted by Lamberto Gardelli, 1965
        Why So Serious, Hans Zimmer, the Dark Knight OST

I'm the first own for these cans (which is unusual for me, but I did get they way under MSRP), and didn't really pay attention to them through the break in period of about 100 hours, but that's not a huge deal. MY last pair of Beyers was some heavily-used DT-990 600 ohms, so I started listening to these cans with some preconceived notions of the sound I would get out of these (read - DROP DA BASS, WUBWUBWUB). I can gladly say I was wrong, these headphones actually had less bass than both my TH 900s and my GS1000s, but it was actually good that way. The frequency response on these can is neutral, no irritating highs, no skull-shaking bass, and no overwhelming mids, and I actually took some time earlier today to test this out by messing around with synths in Propellerhead Reason to really cehck for irritating frequencies. I didn't manage to find any, which was quite amazing. The other amazing thing for me is that things sounds natural. When listening to Nabucco, it's like I'm sitting right next to or behind Laberto Gardelli, with the whole orchestra arrayed around me. This creates a very intimate presentation of the music, which was very pleasant for the most part. The imaging and detail retrieval are also fantastic, giving me the ability to pinpoint individual instruments in the orchestra, particularly from the brass section. Also, the sound stage is very wide, but not huge, which really helps with the intimate presentation of the music. The only real flaw is that when you listen to the funeral march from the opera, the procession starts to the right and slightly behind, seems to wrap it's way around your head like the Night Bus from Harry Potter #3 (a cymbal crash during that is actually fairly alarming, coming out of nowhere and seemingly happening right next to your right ear. Actually made me jump when I heard it), before exiting the soundstage to your left and behind you a bit. A bit surreal to hear, but that's the only real flaw that I ran across. Finally, the depth of the soundstage is fiarly substantial, but it again feels intimate and close, the instruments in the back are still very clear and close. All in all a very pleasant experience.

Fit and finish on these is generally very nice. The headband is very soft and comfortable, and the inner structure is metal, which is always a bonus. The metal also feels substantial, which means that I have high hopes for its longevity. The cups are well constructed of good quality hard plastic, and the metal mesh backs are well constructed and seem sturdy. The earpads are lovely, easily fitting around my ears while providing a sufficient seal, all without clamping too tightly. A really nice feature is how the drivers are physically mounted at an angle inside the cups, which probably contributes to the great soundstage. The only complaint is the cable. 4 conductor cable, 1/4" jack? Really? They went though the effort of separating the two channels completely, and you make it single-ended? And then, there's nothing wrapping around the two cables for the entire length, the only thing holding them together is a thin bit of connective rubber and a small band where the cables split. That's just sad, give the cable some love. I'm making plans to get it replaced, it's really ruining the aesthetic. Still, that's ultimately a small complaint, not taking much out of the rating because of that.

The final word on these is that they are great, especially if you get them at $1k or lower. At that price they're a steal, and even at their full MSRP they're really worth the money. I mean, they don;t need a special cable or serious tube rolling to find a good match. I tested a fair selection of my tubes, and this combination just so happens to be, literally, one of the most neutral, which synergized well with the cans. The fact of the mater is these are really the best "plug-n-play" cans I have at this level, and that really something special.

9.5/10
    MrTechAgent likes this.
  8. Kiats
    "Liquid Mids of the T1"
    Pros - Soundstage, balanced, detailed, liquid mids
    Cons - Headband is a little flimsy
    The Beyer T1 will always hold a special place for me. This is because this was my first flagship headphone. I had thought long and hard over choosing the HD 800, LCD 2/3 and the T1. Many thanks to Wilson and Claire for their ceaseless patience and unstinting hospitality as I went back and forth between the various candidates over a month or two.

I finally settled for the T1 as my first pair for two simple reasons: the liquid mids and the fact that Jaben in Singapore had "balanced-ready" T1s whereby the T1s came modded with mini XLR connectors. Which was wonderful so that I could use them single ended or in due course balanced.

How time has flown and I now have a little collection of very nice headphones: AKG K702& K812, LCD 2 & 3, HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Hifiman HE-6, HE-5LE, HE-500, Fostex TH900, plus all the higher end Grados (save for the PS1000) and the Abyss.

Build Quality

The build quality of the T1 is pretty good. However, the adjustment mechanism of the headband does seem a little imprecise, while seeming to be a bit loose in most pairs I tried. This of course is of some concern since each end of the headband had a cut out of "T1" which surely is a stress point for the metal and will surely lead to metal fatigue and it giving way.

The stock cable which came with the T1 is probably the best stock cable I have seen on a TOTL can. Is anyone from Audeze, Sennheiser and AKG reading this? I recall that unlike the normal cable which Beyer tends to do in-house, for the T1, they sourced the cable from an external cable specialist. And it tells! I will frankly admit that my removable cables - SE or balanced are actually made from stock T1 cable and even though now I have really exotic cables in my modest cable library, I think that that the T1 still probably has best synergy with the stock cable. And that tells you something about the quality!

Comfort and Isolation

The T1 is actually quite comfortable. Very, in fact. While it doesn't fit me to a T as the AKG K812 does, it certainly feels more secure than the HD 800. The ear pads are a light touch - nice and cushy without being too soft.

Isolation is actually not bad in the bigger scheme of things. But of course because its an open can, isolation is not why you choose this can.

Music Genres

I have a pretty comprehensive music collection: the fact that it's stored in a 4 by 4TB NAS (and its almost reached capacity) speaks for its repertoire. Early church music, through the classic jazz era to today's jazz, rock, pop, acoustic vocals and even some trance (thanks to my good friends, Terence and Shawn, who are desperately trying to educate me).

What I discovered early on, especially once I had worked out that the T1 craves driving power, is the T1 is pretty much comfortable with most genres. Once I had ensured sufficient driving power for the T1 and ran it balanced, there was really no turning back. I think it struck me one day that I was literally rocking to Depeche Mode 101 and Keane's greatest hits. On the venerable T1!

Of course, there is a special category which I love the T1 for: vocals. I remember reading somewhere, after I had purchased the T1, that it had liquid mids. That hit the nail on the head - the T1 has such lush and easy flowing mids. Wonderful for vocals.

Sound Quality

In my view, the T1 is fairly well balanced: the trebles are extended, the mids are bordering on lush. The bass, while it is quality bass, it is not quite in the same class as the AKG K812. I would say that the T1 also attracted me because I liked its soundstage - it was not too wide, but had some depth to it as well. And there were details galore.

I constantly read reviews complaining about the T1 sound and how its trebles are too much or that it compares poorly to the ethereal soundstage of the HD800. Well, all I will say is that I never quite understood the fuss over the trebles because I have always felt that the T1 had excellent controlled treble extension. As for the soundstage, the HD800 has a soundstage which is not suited for all genres - eg. with rock, the soundstage is spread out so far that there is a total lack of energy. On the other hand, the T1 is more versatile and is competent to very good with most genres.

Pairing

I currently run my T1 off a a desktop rig of modded Mac Mini (with external linear PSU) via USB to a Bricasti M1 DAC, with balanced out to the Bryston BHA-1 and RCA to a Woo Audio WA2. My favourite all round set up is to run the T1 on dual 3 pin XLR on the Bryston - the T1 really opens up: the tonal richness of the T1 run this way is really something to behold. Of course, when I want to listen to slightly more acoustic vocals or I want a more organic tone, I listen to the T1 via the WA2.

Conclusion

I am grateful that Wilson and Claire were kind to me when I was first looking for a flagship can. And that I did choose the T1 with my ears. It still gives me immense pleasure. There is nothing more anyone could ask for.
    Brooko, So Far and Katji like this.
  9. Sorrodje
    "T1 impressions (HD800 comparison inside)"
    Pros - Soundstage, accuracy , tonal balance, slight fun factor, build quality
    Cons - bothersome treble for 8khz sensitive people, slightly too "common" compared to the best headphones
    Please forgive my english. It's not my native language and the text below is translated frome the french Original feedback here

T1_0.jpg

Introduction

It's really hard to give up his own tastes in any objective consideration when headphones are tested. Much of the feedback made by enthusiasts on the web related implys that the author likes enough the headphone to take the time to put his impressions on paper. However, it is uncommon to see written feedbacks dedicated to a headphone that the author does not like. But it is the case for me: I do not like the Beyerdynamic T1. If I had tried it in a store, I would have probably & definitely put it down  a few minutes later without ever touch it. It seems I'm very sensitive to the sharp 8 khz Beyer treble peak.

However, I made ​​the choice to keep the T1 and force me to listen to it for a few weeks because I really wanted to compare the Beyerdynamic flagship to my current sedentary headphones, the HD800. And patience have taught me a lot about my own assessment on headphones ... But also on the T1 and HD800 itselves. The T1 definitely deserves better than a flawed listening and expeditious statements, necessarily unfair, that would have resulted.

During the weeks of testing this Beyerdynamic T1, I gave him about twenty hours of listening and I used only my current headphone Rig : Metrum Octave DAC + DNA Sonett 2 Amp. I have often read that the T1 was not as finicky as my HD800 and the DNA Sonett 2 is technically adapteed to both HD800 & T1.

Now you know the context of the impressions that you'll find below.

Discovery / packaging / comfort

The headphone is delivered in a beautiful metal box. It looks great and the box is filled with with dense foam. The T1 is properly positioned there: In two words: A serious and useful storage. The HD800 comes in a cardboard box with a more luxurious fabric "velvet" appearance, but ultimately lower quality.

The headphone itself looks solidly built - we feel Beyerdynamic's experience of professional headphones - and seems to "weigh" in hand. The 350 grams of T1 are there, and you do not feel like buying a toy. Metallic cups like leather of the headband are well crafted and exude quality. Nothing flashy here: T1 has a simple appearance. Special mention to the thick, non-detachable cable that also exudes German quality. Some see non-detachable cabele as a disadvantage. Personally, it mostly means that the cable is directly soldered to the drivers, thus limiting the number of solder points between the Jack and the drivers.

The Beyerdynamic T1 fits very naturally on the head (mine anyway) and I forget it quickly. If the headphone "weighs" in hands, it's not the case on the head. Comfort is excellent, I have not felt any painful pressure points over time. The overall balance of the T1 is good. Moreover, the cups are wide and deep. The velours ear pads have the perfect consistency (neither too stiff nor too soft). Of course, the T1 does not  feel light and airy like the HD800 but it, unlike the Senn, doesn't infringe on my jaws. The HD800 still remains more comfortable over time. The insulation provided by the headphones is close to none. Don't expect much more insulation from the T1 against the HD800.

Overall impressions

Remember my introduction... The first impression that strucked me listening to the T1 for the first time was the assault of the treble. When I discovered the HD800, I immediately noticed the treble too, but I never had this immediate urge to remove the headphone from my head. If you are, like me, sensitive to potential peaks at 8 kHz, flee the T1 like the plague: Your ears will bleed very quickly. Many owners of T1, however, have no problem with this peak. I've personally loaned the T1 to a friend who did not feel any discomfort. Conversely, many enthusiasts who have tried this or other Beyer headphones are like me: allergic to this Treble. So this is IMO primarily a matter of personal sensitivity.

After several hours / days / weeks, my brain has done its job of self-equalization and peak treble became much more bearable, even for an allergic like me. I then enjoyed as it should be the other characteristics of the T1.

The fact is that the T1 will grow on you. It offers by no means a 'wow' effect on first listen. It is in all aspects a significant improvement over the DT880 but not really impresses during first listens. The great qualities of T1 reveal themselves gradually, hence the importance of the long term test of a headphone that could quite easily be underestimated.

The absolute highlight of T1, is IMO the soundstage. This was the case on the DT880, but the T1 - and the T90 for that matter - offers uncommon precision and layering. The foreground seems close and forward - much more than HD800 - and the soundstage background is distant. All that sits between the two is perfectly layered and easlily audible. The most pleasant point IMO is yet to come. The T1 has a very specific way to make audible the left and right extremities of the soundstage. In fact, T1 seems to bend the soundstage stage and bring the left and right closer to the ears, creating a very precise "bubble" in which we can locate details with much ease. This is a very cool effect. Compared to the HD800, the T1 offers a more compact and less diffuse soundstage. It feels more consistent, but weeks of listening let me feel that this consistency is a bit artificial and tends to "beautify" the crappy mixes, while not doing justice to the better recordings whose ultimate goal is to reproduce accurately acoustic resonnance, the feeling of the room , the concert hall or the studio. In this matter, in my opinion, the HD800 is the King.

So, The second statement I really would like to share is I felt that the T1 instills a little extra energy in the music. It's a slight effect and not at all outrageous or too unnatural. I could feel sound movements from back to front. Very 3D effect. It's really fun to listen and I feel of kind of groove/swing added to the music. The presentation offered by the HD800 is more "rigid" : it seems that The Senn places the music in air as if it was paintings and let us comtemplate the sound. Both presentation are very enjoyable in my opinion.

Overally and before going into the details of the various ranges, we can estimate that T1 is neutral with a feeling of extra bass and treble. We are not yet in the U-shaped or V-shaped signatures with recesseds mids, but in the slightly saline. In general, HD800 and T1 signatures are close and I do not really think that one of the two is more neutral than the other, contrary to what I read here and there.
    I used the T1 to listen to all genres I usually listen to with the HD800. I was quite surprised to find it extremely good for classical. I had assumed that the HD800 would be much better in this area but it's not so true. The Beyerdynamic is truly compelling for classical, although I always tend to complain about the same flaw, namely a slight metallic treble that can affect the perfect reproduction of acoustic instruments tone. I didn't notice any music where the T1 seemed downright uncomfortable, even if it does not seem much more forgiving than the HD800 with the quality of the recordings. I finally listened to some tracks whose style is better accorded with the T1: I am thinking of "Animal As Leaders" (progressive metal) that sounds good with the HD800, but frankly better - more impacting more cohesive and just as fast - with the T1.

Both headphones will shine on different music and differently designed recordings. The HD800 will be more oriented to the reproduction of music as a whole including its sound environment and atmosphere. The T1 will provide a more lively and sraightforward experience with a very high level of separation of the different components of music.

In detail ( vs HD800):

- Bass: The DT880 already dealt superbly this register but the T1 does better. Excellent extension and no lack of sub-bass be felt in demanding music in this area. bass are tight and fast and does not overflow on the mids at all. they are tight without being dry. Because of the presentation that offers the T1, Bass has this elasticity and dynamic projected character that does not offer the HD800. I think the impression of "more bass" from the T1 comes from that. The drawback is that bass are slightly more "one note" than HD800. Different components are less audible less detailed, less textured than those proposed by the HD800. According to different muusic or your tastes, you can prefer one or the other. For example, I found that the electric bass (Animal As Leaders) sounded better with the T1 although the different bass layers in my favorite EDM (Shingo Nakamura, BT or Burial for example) or Doublebass (Renaud Garcia Fons) are better with the HD800.

- Mids:  A few month ago,I would have said that the HD800 is the king of the medium. That's not true. The medium of the HD800 lacks a slight bit of meat and body. The real King is the Stax SR009 and it needs a lot of work on the upstream HD800 rig to obtain a meatier mid with the Senn. T1 seems to be in the same boat: the midrange sounds very good, very clean. Neither hollow or pervasive. It has not, however, the slightly euphonic and refined charm of The King Stax. Overally, the T1 is not more euphonic than the HD800. The medium of the latter remains more detailed, richer, more textured, more appealing. The medium of T1 is very slightly "off" in my opinon. I listened and listened to a lot of voices (Norah Jones, Newton Faulkner, Andreas Scholl) and it seems to me that the HD800 offers a more refined level of restitution in the matter. But it does nothing to actually penalize the T1, since the HD800 is still a tough competitor.

- Treble: now we are going to reach points that annoy and divide. The high range of the HD800 as that of T1 can be problematic and show an excess compared to the strict neutrality. So we have two headphones who undoubtly tend to be slightly bright. I say slight, but a lover of darker headphones would certainly find that both T1 and HD800 have too much treble. Someone who loves brighter/lighter signatures (myself for example) will however appreciates the detail, the sparkle and the bite air brought by those slightly boosted treble. HD800 as T1 are moreover, one like the other, not short on details. I would say at first glance that the T1 is perhaps the best for foreground details location - see paragraph above - and the HD800 for the best reproduction of low-level detail - reverberation, resonance and acoustics of the place of recording - giving my opinion a greater sense of realism to the sound material ... When this material is present in the recording. As we say the measures (see measurements of two headphones on the web) the HD800 provides ongoing treble boost from 4 kHz to 8 kHz, with a max at 6 kHz. The T1 offers him a sudden peak at 8khz and keeps elevated treble in higher frequencies. Choose your poison depending on your sensitivity and your preferences. What's funny is that during A/B comparison between one and the other, I could hear very well the difference, and according to different tracks one or the other sounded brighter. The one and the other may show sibilances and both seem not so much forgiving for poor recordings. Personally, and my opinion has not changed in three months of T1 owning, I appreciate the HD800 treble, while T1's one is almost unbearable.

- Soundstage: Two beautiful soundstages, but - as I have already said - very different and thus the personal preferencs will encourage us toward the Sennheiser or the Beyerdynamic. Compactness, density, precision and sense of movement with the T1. Cloud of music with a strong sense of the different sound patches and a great feeling of the reality of the music in its environment with the HD800. The HD800 "deploys" the music. I have often thought in this roundup that eventually the T1 had the best soundstage. It's almost true. Almost, because from my point of view, although T1's soundstage is fantastic, but "headphone-like". The HD800 looses some of that accuracy to go to a more extraordinary way to reproduce the music. HD800 doesn't either offer this "Music in Motion" feeling offered by T1. The diffuse presentation of the HD800 can bother too. I also said that the T1 was ultimately more analytical than the HD800. This is not entirely true either, but the idea is there: the precision of T1 impresses.

Conclusion

I still do not like the T1, and I really had to force myself to keep on the ears since I have. However, I think I managed to be patient and try to be fair. this headphone deserved it. I have to say again that the T1 in reveals its strengths after many careflu and attentive listening. Certainly a very good headphone, so of course we are not allergic to Beyerdynamic like me.
    The T1 offers its share of "fun", but can still not be considered deliberately calibrated for that. It shows very little color or added euphony and stays accurate. In Beyerdynamic family, for whis is seeking more fun and less accuracy, I sincerely think the T90 worthes a serious try.

Finally, T1 vs HD800 ... HD800 headphones keeps in my opinion its superiorité for a few specific reasons: Better mids, an overally more refined sound - with a blacker "background" - a hgher level of detail and resolution over the entire spectrum and especially a more "extraordinary" persentation, where T1 is still a great headphone, but only a great headphone. That said, I do think that the HD800 can demonstrate these qualities only with recordings who can highlight them and, so, although higher in absolute terms, it will not be always more enjoyable. In any case, I don't allow myself to state that HD800 will always be greater than T1 for YOUR listenings.

For my part, I'm ending this review while listening to Ane Brun and The headphone I've forgotten on my head is the HD800. I'll be a bit sad to see the T1 leaving the house though.
    moriez, Brooko, santacruise and 9 others like this.
  10. PTom
    "So Close to Perfection!"
    Pros - Bass extension, mids, soundstage, separation, comfort
    Cons - Treble!
    These come so close to being my ideal headphones. These headphones have nearly everything I want, good controlled bass that extends well to very low frequencies. The bass is also present but does not dominate. Nice mids that are not recessed, a great wide soundstage and fantastic separation. The comfort is supreme, the earpads surround the ears well and the T1 is also lightweight. However, where it fails IMO is in the treble. Without applying EQ it's just too bright for my tastes.

I listen to music using lossless files and watch movies/TV shows using Bluray so the quality of the files used is excellent. People might say that my DAC/amp combo is not up to scratch, that might be so. I'm using the O2/ODAC combo which is supposed to be very transparent and uncoloured and I have read it should allow you to hear the true sound of the headphones. If this is true, the uncoloured sound of the T1 is too bright. The only flaw IMO but a major one for me since I am quite sensitive to the treble.

In terms of power, discussions in the sound science forums indicates that technically there doesn't seem to be much indication that the O2 amp cannot supply sufficient power to the T1 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/707169/can-the-o2-amp-fully-drive-the-beyerdynamic-t1). I'm sure that colouring the sound using a tube amp would be able to tame the highs and make these headphones truly fantastic but IMO the natural sound of these cans has some serious flaws in the treble. This seems to also be attested by the frequency response curves I've seen for these headphones and also numerous comments I've read stating the same point.

This being said, I really do like these headphones and aggressive use of EQ can tame the treble enough to make it enjoyable for watching movies and listening to music. Without applying any EQ it sounds truly superb for Classical and Jazz music (as long as there is minimal singing IMO). However on the whole, I will probably sell these and settle for something more bass/mid centric such as the HD 600/650 which are widely praised in combination with my current DAC/amp.