The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Jan 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #196 of 219
Hi All

The little clips on the backs of my KSC75s are beginning to break away and the foam pads are beginning to lose their shape. (they are about 8 years old after all :p) So I figured perhaps it might be better to rehouse the drivers.

So I came across this mod and I was wondering where I can find cups?

I am in Perth, Australia and my google fu indicates there aren't many places that sell replacement cups. I thought i might have found an online 3d printing supply (via this forum somewhere) but it didn't seem to be accepting orders.

I have a pair of Alessandro MS1s. It did occur to me that I could 'woody' them and then use the plastic cups for the ksc75. But I'd rather leave them as they are for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #197 of 219
Hi All

The little clips on the backs of my KSC75s are beginning to break away and the foam pads are beginning to lose their shape. (they are about 8 years old after all :p) So I figured perhaps it might be better to rehouse the drivers.

So I came across this mod and I was wondering where I can find cups?

I am in Perth, Australia and my google fu indicates there aren't many places that sell replacement cups. I thought i might have found an online 3d printing supply (via this forum somewhere) but it didn't seem to be accepting orders.

I have a pair of Alessandro MS1s. It did occur to me that I could 'woody' them and then use the plastic cups for the ksc75. But I'd rather leave them as they are for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think it's gonna have to be a custom job. I'm planning on making some too! :)

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #198 of 219
@axtran how were you planning to do it? maybe we can do it in parallel?

What have you replaced the ksc75s with in the mean time?

I am thinking I might have 3 options to replace the ksc75s:
  • Buy the parts express headphone and another ksc75 and mod it that way. But the little spines holding the pads will eventually break again
    1. Are there any pads that fit directly over the ksc75s and don't need the spines to stay on?
  • Buy a Portapro.
  • Buy another brand of headphone. I have an MS1 but its a bit delicate for travel. I'll have to reglue right driver cup again.
    1. Any suggestions on another set of cans?

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #199 of 219
  @axtran how were you planning to do it? maybe we can do it in parallel?

What have you replaced the ksc75s with in the mean time?

I am thinking I might have 3 options to replace the ksc75s:
  • Buy the parts express headphone and another ksc75 and mod it that way. But the little spines holding the pads will eventually break again
    1. Are there any pads that fit directly over the ksc75s and don't need the spines to stay on?
  • Buy a Portapro.
  • Buy another brand of headphone. I have an MS1 but its a bit delicate for travel. I'll have to reglue right driver cup again.
    1. Any suggestions on another set of cans?

After reading through this post, I am going to go with KSC-75's. I've selected the Vivitar DJ Mixers for a headband donor, EarZonk Pleather Pads, and I'm having convex-style closed cups made for me by fleasbaby whenever I get my wood situation sorted out. The only thing still up in the air are my cables--I think I'm going to go with permanently fixed cables, perhaps silver plated, thinner wire? Copper might also be a good look.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #200 of 219
You need real or fake leather pads for the stratoKOSSter to sound great, otherwise the bass is thin.
Ask fleasbaby to make the cups to fit the Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpad or other earpad that isn't made from airy foam.

Sorry....the earzonk pleather pads should be good.

I really shouldn't just skim the post.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #201 of 219
You need real or fake leather pads for the stratoKOSSter to sound great, otherwise the bass is thin.
Ask fleasbaby to make the cups to fit the Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpad or other earpad that isn't made from airy foam.

Sorry....the earzonk pleather pads should be good.

I really shouldn't just skim the post.

fleasbaby guided me to the EarZonks! :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #202 of 219
Finished!

http://imgur.com/JeNrFvk

Need some help getting either more clamp force using the current Vivitar DJ Mixer headband, or a better seal on the back of the EarZonk pads... or are there some other leather Grado-style pad out there?

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #204 of 219
I had to make my own leather pads as other pads I used didn't sound right. I wrapped some L-cush in kid leather. Bought a used leathercoat in a second hand store.

Did you have to use any special needle and thread? I have a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads that I could disassemble for its leather.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #205 of 219
  Did you have to use any special needle and thread? I have a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads that I could disassemble for its leather.

If you are going to work with leather you might want to look into an awl and waxed thread. Start with new leather and avoid the mess you will wind up with attempting to reconfigure the Alphas.

There are some good leatherworking forums on line which can point you to some very good resources. Google is your friend there.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #206 of 219
I had to make my own leather pads as other pads I used didn't sound right. I wrapped some L-cush in kid leather. Bought a used leathercoat in a second hand store.

I found it next to impossible to sew it so I used glue.

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #207 of 219
Update: I swapped out the KSC75 drivers for Sportapro drivers, which have a different housing and are less on the treble. It is now perfect to my tastes! I'm planning on repurposing the KSC75's on a new KOSS closed cup woodie design...

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #208 of 219
My project in the works, posted some info here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/page-536#post-13777610

IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0742.JPG

Will keep you all updated :)

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #210 of 219
Very nice for your first build. I like the way you made your lip for the pads. I never tried that but did think about it.

It works well to be honest, very secure fit if you stretch the pads over it with force.

I needed to really simplify my project as I didn't have many tools to make complex shapes. The "disk" is one piece, it holds the driver and acts as a lip for the pads as you say, the cylinder cup is a basic cylinder screwed to the disk plate, I will make an end piece to hold the mesh and to close off the sound ever so slightly as it seemed to help when i put my hands 1/3 over the end of the cup by bring out the low mids and tightening the sound slightly. It will look somewhat like a grado end piece from the RS series.

Drivers, wood (sappele), PU leather for headband, velour pads(not the expensive ones lol), some dye and lacquer/varnish... oh and buy a €5 cheap pc headset for the headband and wire cup holders. That's basically my parts list

I'm happy with how it's turning out so far, but as with all first builds, it takes much longer as you work out every little nuance. I'm enjoying the experience though and I'd love to improve on it with some future builds with better drivers and higher quality parts etc.

I don't think I've ever been so enthusiastic about a DIY project before as I have with this one lol... I'm not even a headphone (earbuds!) user normally this will be my only working headphones LMAO. I have some sennheiser HD485 drivers from a disassembled headphone I bought for like €15 so I may make a second one soon xD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back