The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #10,907 of 12,546
Can someone mod my dt880 250 and pUT a mic on it for gaming?

The Antlion ModMic would be your best choice.
https://antlionaudio.com/collections/modmic/products/modmic-5

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #10,908 of 12,546
  On a foolish whim, I picked up a pair of DT880 600 ohm cans - fully aware of the divisive thoughts out there on these things.  I have to say, I'm really enjoying them.  Perversely, more than I thought I would.  I dug out my old Burson HA-160 amp which feels like a nice pairing.  I think if the treble extended any farther, I would want to put my head through a window, but these really ride a nice line. They do remind me of the Sennheiser HD 800s (and kind of my old ATH-W1000s), which I had and sold, mostly because of the treble, and the comfort level.  These do both better, and are nice compliment to my 20 (!) other pairs of cans.

"Divisive thoughts" are misguided propaganda lies !!!!
The "perverse" part I won't say anything.....
blink.gif

Enjoy!
beyersmile.png

PS: You got my attention (respectively) because your a member since 2007 yet only 131 posts. 

May 11, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #10,909 of 12,546
Been reading this thread for some time now.almost decided to get the 600 ohm version. I just want to know if a jds labs o2 will be able to drive the 600ohm version nicely.will be using these around the house only.just wanted something portable so i could listen to jazz music when i'm not on my desk.i'll also be using these with my burson ha160 just in case you're wondering why i'll be getting the 600ohm version.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #10,910 of 12,546
I have owned my DT880 Premium 250 Ohm for probably 6 months now. It has been a while since I posted again about them. I have to say, just as I said months ago, this is a great headphone. I love the balanced and neutral sound signature they offer. I have no idea how many hours I have on them now. It would have to be a few hundred. I will update what I said when I first got them with just a few more statements here. There is one thing that this headphone has accomplished that no other has for 250 bucks. It is the only one so far at this price that I have continued to be completely satisfied with the sound of. To me, this is a damn impressive accomplishment, as I find deal breaking faults in everything I try. The DT770, the K545, the K701, the K545, the HP150, and the K612 Pro all ended up annoying me with their faults. I owned, and sold every single one of them. The DT880 is the only headphone I have found so far at its price level that I continue to forever be in agreement with. The detail, articulation, soundstage, accuracy, non fatiguing midrange, and imaging are second to none at this price point. I have no doubt that my next headphone in a year or two will end up being the DT1990. It looks to be the essential upgrade to the DT880.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #10,913 of 12,546
Got the 880 chrome premium's off ebay. Really liking them so far. Out of all the mid-fi cans like K7XX and HD6XX these are my favourites. Amazing value really for $139. Also prefer the look and feel of these variants.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #10,914 of 12,546
Does anyone out there know how to reterminate the DT880 with an XLR (4 pin) for balanced operation (i.e. which colour wire to which pin)?

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #10,915 of 12,546
Does anyone out there know how to reterminate the DT880 with an XLR (4 pin) for balanced operation (i.e. which colour wire to which pin)?

Thanks.
You would have to use a new headphone cable as well.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #10,916 of 12,546
Thanks.

So it's a three-core cable?

Disappointing...

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #10,917 of 12,546
Just got an 880 premium (250Ohm) and compared it the last couple of days with my AKG K7XX (which I've had for almost 2 months now).
After the first few listens it was hard to pick which I liked more, I liked that the AKG was more full-bodied (in the bass) and a more relaxed/easy listen, but at the same time I liked the brightness of the 880s and that the music sounded just a little more engaging. But now I start to like the 880s more than the K7XX for sure, which has a little too much monotonous sound for my ears (it has a certain sound signature that dominates the sound). With the 880 every song sounds different and probably more like it's recorded and mastered. Most people would probably like the K7XX more because of its more relaxed sound. But the 880 is more exciting for me, also it manages more to bring out of the rhythm and dynamics of the music, which is a strength more Beyers have, my DT250 does that very well too. Another Beyer strength: vocals are always perfectly smooth. AKG does a decent job of that too but for example the HD600 has quite harsh sounding vocals imo.

Btw, I am using this with a somewhat warm sounding dac/amp combo, which I think helps to have a good balanced sound on these. I probably wouldn't wanna use the 880 with a bright sounding amp, it will probably shimmer a bit too much.
I actually had a 880 pro last year for only a few weeks (which has a little different sound due to much more clamp), but I found the treble on that one a little sharp and unnatural. The treble on the premium/edition sounds more smooth and more effortless for me (although ive seen some people write the pro have smoother treble). It could've also been down to the amp I used back then, but I did come across a couple of graphs of the Pro and the 6k peak there seems more prominent than the 10k peak. And I think with the premium with less clamp perhaps the emphasis is a actually more on the 10k peak (which is more preferable)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #10,919 of 12,546
Meanwhile, I tried the K7xx Annie pads on the 880 (they can't stay in place though, you would have to glue them for it), and I was surprised of the difference. Mainly the bass, which went from somewhat thin to full, with still nice punch to it. Soundstage too is more impressive, there's more body to the sound and it sounds a bit speaker-like. Great now for movie watching (or gaming). The flipside is somewhat reduced highs and clarity I guess. Pretty cool though, that the sound can be changed quite so dramatically on these headphones with a pad change.

Which brings me to a question - since I don't wanna glue them, does anyone know any pads that are similar to the Annie pads and will fit over the 880's earcups? (They gotta be similarly big and circular in shape, and have fairly dense velours or memory foam to help the bass (preferably not leather or hybrid, but possible to try out too). And if they have a foam net then it's gotta be preferably a really thin one, like the Annies have.)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10,920 of 12,546
Meanwhile, I tried the K7xx Annie pads on the 880 (they can't stay in place though, you would have to glue them for it), and I was surprised of the difference. Mainly the bass, which went from somewhat thin to full, with still nice punch to it. Soundstage too is more impressive, there's more body to the sound and it sounds a bit speaker-like. Great now for movie watching (or gaming). The flipside is somewhat reduced highs and clarity I guess. Pretty cool though, that the sound can be changed quite so dramatically on these headphones with a pad change.

Which brings me to a question - since I don't wanna glue them, does anyone know any pads that are similar to the Annie pads and will fit over the 880's earcups? (They gotta be similarly big and circular in shape, and have fairly dense velours or memory foam to help the bass (preferably not leather or hybrid, but possible to try out too). And if they have a foam net then it's gotta be preferably a really thin one, like the Annies have.)

German Maestro makes a fully vented Velour pad for the GMP 8.3 series that would fit perfectly on the DT880's. I haven't tried those since they are around the same price as beyer pads.
Link to the GMP Pads.
Link to the Dust Protectors.

I use the HM5 thick memory foam or HM5 velour on my GMP 8.300D's, you don't want those on the DT880's as they are not vented and the bass becomes very boomy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back