Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Apr 7, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #616 of 2,717

So...these were the matched tubes that came with my new Valhalla 2 that I picked up on 4.1.2017 at Schitt's new retail store.  I emailed them about it when I got home and they said that all tubes ares electronically matched from large NOS inventories.

Am I crazy thinking that matched tubes should also have identical makes, models, as well as physical builds?  Even if the tubes meter identically, won't they still have different sound signatures being different makes at least?  The pre tubes are even built differently inside from one another.

Schiit has delivered me great service and products since the first time I ever reached out to them and I am ultimately happy with them.  These tubes don't even really matter to me since I had a matched pair of Novosibirsk 6N6P-IR waiting for the amp to arrive and three different sets of upgraded tubes for my Lyr 2 and another new pair of upgraded tubes for the Valhalla 2 on the way from Russia.

I'm still a little bothered by fact that the pre tubes they sent me weren't even matching brands 
confused.gif
 At least the power tubes were the same brand.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #617 of 2,717
Can the taller 6n6p tubes be changed for something else or is there no replacement for them?

I know the shorter 6n1p tubes are the main ones for rolling. Would a 6922 make much difference in sound??

Can I for example just get 4 of the same tubes like 4 6922?

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #618 of 2,717
The 6N6P's are the output tubes (the taller ones).  They can not be changed. The 6N1P's are the input tubes and they can be swapped for 6922's and others.  And yes there can be a definite difference in sound, but it's not night and day in my experience. The Schiit website gives you the different tube types that work for the inputs.  I've had excellent luck with Amperex tubes, a definite improvement over the stock tubes. Check out the Valhalla Tube Rolling thread on this site.

May 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #619 of 2,717
I have an OG Valhalla, been in happy and reasonably heavy use for the last 3 years or so (average use of 1-2 hours/day over that span; turned off when not in use, some 12 hour binges some weeks where I could barely find time to use).

Currently; when I turn the amp on disconnected from everything but power and headphones; volume all the way down - i get a fuzzy modulating fuzzy/static noise, more in the right earpiece than the left. It's been intermittently doing it for awhile; but music/games/etc drowned it out (or it was intermittent). Today it hit my tolerance. After 3 years of fairly hard use (power flapping ff if not pure volume of hours...), are my Tubes finally toast or is this an issue with the amp itself?

I moved the amp to the other side of the house; as far away from electronics/wifi/etc as I could get, and same behavior from my HD650s and my DT770s. Volume of the amp doesn't seem to effect the static at all.

May 8, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #620 of 2,717
Probably the tubes. Try swapping the left two tubes with the right two (ie back left with back right and front left with front right). If the noise moves to the other channel then it's definitely the tubes. Just reseating the tubes like this might already fix it. If not, try taking them out and cleaning the pins by pushing them into a magic eraser sponge a few times. If this doesn't work, get a new set.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #621 of 2,717
I have an OG Valhalla, been in happy and reasonably heavy use for the last 3 years or so (average use of 1-2 hours/day over that span; turned off when not in use, some 12 hour binges some weeks where I could barely find time to use).

Currently; when I turn the amp on disconnected from everything but power and headphones; volume all the way down - i get a fuzzy modulating fuzzy/static noise, more in the right earpiece than the left. It's been intermittently doing it for awhile; but music/games/etc drowned it out (or it was intermittent). Today it hit my tolerance. After 3 years of fairly hard use (power flapping ff if not pure volume of hours...), are my Tubes finally toast or is this an issue with the amp itself?

I moved the amp to the other side of the house; as far away from electronics/wifi/etc as I could get, and same behavior from my HD650s and my DT770s. Volume of the amp doesn't seem to effect the static at all.

Try taking out the front tubes, cleaning the pins and reseat them. See if that makes a difference

PS Yay, I can finally post from my phone!

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #622 of 2,717
Try taking out the front tubes, cleaning the pins and reseat them. See if that makes a difference

PS Yay, I can finally post from my phone!

Good idea; hadn't considered.

Swapping the tubes left/right; still seems to keep right channel with the noise unfortunately...

May 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #624 of 2,717
Try the rear ones

Swapping the front and back(left rear with right rear, left front with right front); noise stays (primarily) on the right. Swapping just the back again; noise stays on the right channel. I'm not sure how it funnels through..

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #625 of 2,717
My experience with tube rolling in the Valhalla 2 has been that changing the tubes has had the same effect as in the Vali 2. Pretty much similar results with the same tubes.

May 28, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #626 of 2,717
I'm considering buying a Valhalla 2 to use primarily with my Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohms. Has anyone had any experience with these cans or perhaps know of a tube combo that could help color in their recessed mids?

May 29, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #627 of 2,717
Just picked up a used Valhalla 2 for use with a ZMF Atticus and have been looking into some tube rolling as the two products have a nice synergy. It is lacking some of the slam I hear from my iFi solid state amp though. Has anyone tried using the iFi Audio NOS 6922 linked below?

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-nos-6922-2/

It's a GE5670 with adapter for 6922 sockets. I assume this works in the Val2? I also have the iCAN Pro amp so if I didn't like it in the Val2 could have them as backups for its stock tubes.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #628 of 2,717
Just picked up a used Valhalla 2 for use with a ZMF Atticus and have been looking into some tube rolling as the two products have a nice synergy. It is lacking some of the slam I hear from my iFi solid state amp though. Has anyone tried using the iFi Audio NOS 6922 linked below?

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-nos-6922-2/

It's a GE5670 with adapter for 6922 sockets. I assume this works in the Val2? I also have the iCAN Pro amp so if I didn't like it in the Val2 could have them as backups for its stock tubes.

Yes, I'm using this. Much better than the stock 6n1p tubes.

Jun 10, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #629 of 2,717
Why not buy the 5670 to 6922 adapter and try some nice 5670 tubes instead of that, at best, mediocre GE5670 tube? For the same money, you could buy a nice pair of Western Electric 396A tubes that sound a whole lot better! Heck, for $30 from Brent Jesse, you buy some GE 5670WA 5-Star triple mica tubes that sound a lot better!

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #630 of 2,717
Why not buy the 5670 to 6922 adapter and try some nice 5670 tubes instead of that, at best, mediocre GE5670 tube? For the same money, you could buy a nice pair of Western Electric 396A tubes that sound a whole lot better! Heck, for $30 from Brent Jesse, you buy some GE 5670WA 5-Star triple mica tubes that sound a lot better!

I bought 5670 to 6922 tube from Taobao and use GE5670. Very cheap, only $4 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back