Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jun 10, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #631 of 2,717
I bought 5670 to 6922 tube from Taobao and use GE5670. Very cheap, only $4 each.

Cheap is great if you also get great sound. You won't know what great is until you try some of the better 5670 tubes....

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #639 of 2,717
Recently bought a Valhalla and I'm looking for a warmer setup for the HD700 and potentially the HD800. Can anyone make a suggestion of what to use and where to get them?

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #640 of 2,717
Recently bought a Valhalla and I'm looking for a warmer setup for the HD700 and potentially the HD800. Can anyone make a suggestion of what to use and where to get them?
I've been listening to my Valhalla 2 amp/Bifrost Multibit DAC/Wyrd USB Decrapifier setup with my Senn HD700 since I bought new in June of 2016. I spent the first 2 months with the stock 6N1P tubes that came with the Valhalla 2 and thought the HD700 married quite well with the tube headphone amp. That amazing imaging has spoiled me! I then got the itch to tube roll, so I picked up a pair of JJ ECC88's online from the Tube Store and was very happy with the improvement in sound, especially the mids and bottom end. Those were super-affordable and a good upgrade. I just recently bought some matched NOS (1959) MELZ vintage Russian Military 6N1P tubes from a guy in Bulgaria on Etsy ($30 plus shipping) and, although it is early, I am loving the subtle improvement in imaging, mids and bottom end through both my desktop AudioEngine A2+ speakers and my Sennheiser HD700. So, based on my system over the past 12 months, the JJ ECC88 tubes and the MELZ 6N1P tubes were both definite improvements for not a lot of money. That said, in my system, what made the biggest improvement was when, a month in, I added the $99 Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier. That had more of a positive impact than the tube rolling and I highly recommend one.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #641 of 2,717
I've been listening to my Valhalla 2 amp/Bifrost Multibit DAC/Wyrd USB Decrapifier setup with my Senn HD700 since I bought new in June of 2016. I spent the first 2 months with the stock 6N1P tubes that came with the Valhalla 2 and thought the HD700 married quite well with the tube headphone amp. That amazing imaging has spoiled me! I then got the itch to tube roll, so I picked up a pair of JJ ECC88's online from the Tube Store and was very happy with the improvement in sound, especially the mids and bottom end. Those were super-affordable and a good upgrade. I just recently bought some matched NOS (1959) MELZ vintage Russian Military 6N1P tubes from a guy in Bulgaria on Etsy ($30 plus shipping) and, although it is early, I am loving the subtle improvement in imaging, mids and bottom end through both my desktop AudioEngine A2+ speakers and my Sennheiser HD700. So, based on my system over the past 12 months, the JJ ECC88 tubes and the MELZ 6N1P tubes were both definite improvements for not a lot of money. That said, in my system, what made the biggest improvement was when, a month in, I added the $99 Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier. That had more of a positive impact than the tube rolling and I highly recommend one.

The JJ standard and Gold pins sound very different. I would give the Gold pins a try if you have not aleady done so.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #642 of 2,717
The 6n5p draws 2.4 amps and the 6n6p draws 0.75. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Anyone knows May I use an adapter to use 6n5p for the 6n6p tubes? Thanks

6N5P has heater current of 600mA, same as 6N1P. I would not use it as an output tube, it has half the output power of the 6N6P, 2.2W vs 4.8W, but as an input tube, replacement for 6N1P, yes, it's fine. No adapter required. I've used it in the Valhalla2 numerous times. Good tube, not great tube, depends what you're comparing it to.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #643 of 2,717
The JJ standard and Gold pins sound very different. I would give the Gold pins a try if you have not aleady done so.
Sorry I wasn't more accurate. Indeed, the JJ Gold pins are what I was using before swapping them out for the NOS Russian MELZ 6N1P tubes.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #644 of 2,717
6N5P has heater current of 600mA, same as 6N1P. I would not use it as an output tube, it has half the output power of the 6N6P, 2.2W vs 4.8W, but as an input tube, replacement for 6N1P, yes, it's fine. No adapter required. I've used it in the Valhalla2 numerous times. Good tube, not great tube, depends what you're comparing it to.

It would require an adapter.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6n5p~2.html

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #645 of 2,717

Ha, there you go. Sorry, had no idea the question was referring to a coke-bottle octal. Since question was about the Valhalla 2, just assumed the Russian noval that some of us have used.
Thanks for clarification. Yes, on the heater, 2.4 A for this octal.
If any do come across the Russian noval of the sixties, it is compatible with the VALH2.

Here's a datasheet: http://russiantubes.com/prop.php?t=12&p=202

Users who are viewing this thread

Back