Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 20, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #601 of 2,717
I tried the 6FQ7 pair I have and they work fine. I just put in 2C51s with adaptors (6N3 to ECC88) and the slight flatness to the Valhalla's sound (noticeable in comparisons) is no longer there. This is the tube Mike had pictured in his Vali 2.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #602 of 2,717

I picked up a pair of GE 6CG7s and have been listening to them in my Valhalla 2. I am very pleased with the sound which is pretty neutral but full and clean.  The Amperex 6DJ8s I normally listen to are definitely warmer but these are just as good.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #603 of 2,717
Hi, Does anyone know if there are differences in tube compability between Vahalla 1 (rollable ver) and 2? Thanks . Currently want to upgrade the stock tubes on my Valhalla 1 which has been confirmed for tube rolling. Any recommendation?

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #606 of 2,717
  Guys one of the power tubes in valhalla 2 is gone, anyone recommend replacements?

I just received a pair of these for backup, 1977, tested no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N6P-6-6-MATCHED-PAIR-70s-NOVOSIBIRSK-GOLD-GRID-TUBES-ECC99-E182CC-/252747344485?hash=item3ad8ea6a65

Running a different pair of them, 1978, for a while and have been very pleased.

JMTC,
r2

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #608 of 2,717
I'm new to tubes, can anyone recommend a pair of tubes that pairs well with HD800 or Elear? I'm using a valhalla 1.2. Also beside swapping the pre-amp tubes, I'm not sure if this model allows to swap out also those  6N6P  on the back. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #610 of 2,717
Just a quick one. I'm getting my Valhalla 2 soon and wondered how tube rolling works in case i do not like the stock tubes with my hd700.

Do i swap always a pair (front only, back only), can i swap one in the front one in the back or generally as i see fit?

Also what is it with input, output tubes?
I take it the larger ones are different to the smaller at the front?

Sorry for the noob question as I'm sure i will be happy with the stock ones :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #611 of 2,717
Just a quick one. I'm getting my Valhalla 2 soon and wondered how tube rolling works in case i do not like the stock tubes with my hd700.

Do i swap always a pair (front only, back only), can i swap one in the front one in the back or generally as i see fit?

Also what is it with input, output tubes?
I take it the larger ones are different to the smaller at the front?

Sorry for the noob question as I'm sure i will be happy with the stock ones :)

Swap in pairs....front or back...swap 2 fronts or 2 backs in pairs.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #613 of 2,717
  Hi all,

Just a heads up. I spoke to Nick at Schiit about possibilities for swapping the output tubes (6N6P) in the Valhalla 2. He said to be careful not to use tubes which exceed the heater current of the stock tubes (750mA).

In particular, this means you should NOT use 6N6P-I or 6N6P-IR (900mA), nor 6N30P or 6N30P-DR (850mA) - despite what the manual may say.

I have a Little Dot MK III with a bunch of NOS matched 6N6P, 6N6P-I, and 6N6P-IR sets.  I was planning on selling it with the 30+ tubes that I've collected over the last year to buy a Valhalla 2, but I wanted to make sure that I had all the correct information first.

Here is the conversation that I just had with Nick T. from Schiit technical support:

Me:

I currently have a Little Dot MK III and have a supply of 6N6P tubes.  I am going to purchase a Valhalla 2 in the next week or so and was wondering which tubes I have will work with your amp.  I currently have 6N6P, 6N6P-I, and 6N6P-IR in matched sets all manufactured by Novosibirsk.  Can you tell me which ones will work in the Valhalla 2 and why if any won't work?

Nick:

The 6N6Ps will all work fine in Valhalla.

Me:

I've read people saying that you can't use 6N6P-I or 6N6P-IR variants in the Valhalla 2 for power tubes on Head-Fi.  Is this true?  I'm not going to sell all of my variants if they will all work fine.

Nick:

They’re smoking something funny. All 6N6Ps are the same.  
Me:

So this is not correct?

Just want to make sure.

Nick:

That is incorrect. We have measured the heater current on all variants, and it is the same, within production variance.

Me:

Awesome!  I didn't want to sell all my tubes that I've collected for the last year.  Thanks for the quick replies today and great service.

Those variants also won't void the 5 year warranty either, right?

Nick:

Nope, it won’t void the warranty. It’s not like we have tube detection capability built-in to the onboard surveillance software*, in any case.   *Kidding, of course. There is no conspiracy. Also, there’s not a heck of a lot in Valhalla 2 except the tubes and a bunch of power supply stuff.

I just thought you guys should know what I was told.  I now plan on keeping all the 6N6P variants except one pair when I sell the Little Dot MK III.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #614 of 2,717

Users who are viewing this thread

Back