flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2,162 of 39,414
what's the price of A18 ?

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,164 of 39,414
I was going more on the fact that so many people rated the Katana as no.1, and look where it is. :thinking:
Yeah well, those 'many people' rates don't mean that much to me as long as they haven't heard multiple other totl iems to compare it with.

Even if a lot of reputable reviewers list it as no.1, it doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be deserving of your no.1
I totally agree with you on that, it's a thing called preference (but you know that :wink:)

For the record: the H8.2 ended up last over here, but I still like it a lot for what it does well.
Although I recognized a lot out of Nics review regarding that one, there's also the interesting fact that he writes his reviews with stock cables. That was also a consideration why I put the Dream in my top 5 beforehand, as it comes with a highly regarded 'Van Den Hul' cable.
On my H8.2 I have a YY Pro Tucana cable, which brings out the best out of it (synergy wise) imo. Which doesn't mean that the other contenders over here still could be performing on a higher level overall.
Probably needless to say that I'm a big cable (synergy) believer :grin:

Everyone arguing about this should just agree to disagree and be done with it, but then again its a shootout..
Nothing wrong with arguing imo, as long as it's done in a respectful and mature way.
Cheers! :beers:

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2,167 of 39,414
When I pointed this on the Noble thread about the K10 it was very well received :jecklinsmile:
Ha, I bet you must have received some nice (noble) medal for that afterwards :grin:
giphy.gif

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,168 of 39,414
Jun 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #2,172 of 39,414
Pardon my ignorance, why such animosity against Noble?
In general? Maybe because of their multiple 'our iem is the best, as it is the most rated 5* iem on HF' posts or maybe because they sometimes didn't seem to handle criticism that well in their thread?
For me personal? I've never posted (you could check them all after this one :wink:) a negative thing about Noble iems, simply because I've never heard them. A few times I even posted that I liked a specific Wizard design.
I still think especially their Encore could be a great sounding iem and believe me, I would be extremely happy if I would win that one in their current giveaway contest tomorrow.
But I also still doubt if that one would have made it into the top 5 over here because of the tough competition :thinking:

Hope this answers your question...

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,173 of 39,414
I don't really think it is animosity as such, but rather poking fun at Noble a bit. Perhaps because they seem a little overprotective of their brand at times. Not that Noble's protection of its brand is entirely without reason.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,174 of 39,414
let's leave that Noble can of worms closed , and focus instead on the totl shootout

besides , even if people could share some personal stories , what good would that do ?

@kubig123 you ain't gonna get any answers here so no use in asking or wondering

ok , on with the show and the TOTL shootout

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,175 of 39,414
A lot of people lost their bet in this shootout, putting Katana in their top five prediction (including me, who regretfully put it in the last minute). But it's not animosity, rather a little pissed-feeling.

you have yet to try those empire ears open back prototypes :laughing:
The two prototypes were amazing, I have to admit. Credits to Jack and EE team. :) Can't wait for their launch. I'm guessing on the name 'Poseidon'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back