flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,146 of 39,414
True demoed it three times but I fount the Fourte to sound more the way I like the music. I demoed it with the Hugo 2 and with the new AK 1000 dap. Yes stock cable.

Well, of course, I remember you're a basshead :wink: But I have a feeling you tested U18 with M15 module, that one has less bass, making it more neutral. M20 lifts it up, and not just a subtle change. I shared this measurement before, a capture of U18 with M20 vs M15 (also affects the amplitude of treble peaks after 10k). Keep in mind, this is a Veritas coupler capture, similar to other DIY hobby measurements.

u18_m20_m15.png

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,148 of 39,414
Hopefully A18 can have a much better performance than U18. I had a direct comparison between U18 and my Tralucent Plus 5 and U18 sounds closed in. Using the same cable driven by AK380+AMP

This does not seem correct to me. 64Audio IEMs have some of the biggest soundstages around.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,149 of 39,414
This does not seem correct to me. 64Audio IEMs have some of the biggest soundstages around.

You beat me to reply :) Unless that Tralucent is an actual open back IEM (like those Audeze ones), I think bigger soundstage than U18 will be too exaggerated and distracting.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,150 of 39,414
I had the U18 and Tia Forte for a week via the demo tour. Most of the times I was using U18 with m15 APEX modules. And few times with m20 modules. during those few instances, I didn't notice much difference in bass. May be if I had listened m20 equally as I did with m15, it could've been distinguishable or it could be that my ears couldn't notice much difference between the modules.

U18 was very balanced with m15 and was just fun to listen to. Forte (as compared to U18) has more clarity, more resolution, clear vocals, and extends better in the highs and lows and feels effortless. But U18 has more slam than the Forte. both sound equally good an it will boil down to individual sound signature preferences.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,151 of 39,414
Well, of course, I remember you're a basshead :wink: But I have a feeling you tested U18 with M15 module, that one has less bass, making it more neutral. M20 lifts it up, and not just a subtle change. I shared this measurement before, a capture of U18 with M20 vs M15 (also affects the amplitude of treble peaks after 10k). Keep in mind, this is a Veritas coupler capture, similar to other DIY hobby measurements.

Do you have graphs with the different cables :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,152 of 39,414
Hopefully A18 can have a much better performance than U18. I had a direct comparison between U18 and my Tralucent Plus 5 and U18 sounds closed in. Using the same cable driven by AK380+AMP

What tips did you use with the U18? I shared that initial impression when I demoed it with the default Comply foam tips, and it was miles better when I switched to SpinFit tips. I don't know which provides a better representation of the custom A18, but I'm leaning towards the latter based on an A18 I force-fit a few months ago.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #2,153 of 39,414
Ha, its very boring
Boring is the last way I would describe my A18, it is the most emotional CIEM I have ever heard. I am always at awe when I put it into my ear. To my taste, the 18 beat the bass in the Fourte' with more depth, detail, texture, and rumble and that is saying a lot. The Fourte' is more exciting overall than the 18, but is always exciting where the 18 will slow down for a slower song. The 18 and the Fourte' definitely seem to be at a whole other level of performance closer to full sized total exotic headphone performance like the LCD4 and Utopia. Now I need the Fourte' too to complete the pair, but hoping to get it in custom when custom options are finally launched.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,154 of 39,414
Now since the SE5 Ultimate was ranked number one by average Joe and Jelt, and is obviously in the top 8 here, there is more evidence of its quality than just my own confirmation bias, which I can fully admit.

To be fair, that's what happened with the Katana, and look at it now...

Its all to personal to decide based on methods like this.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #2,155 of 39,414

Please help me out: what has happened to the Katana exactly?
Was it also ranked at #1 somewhere by a member that had lots(!) of totl iems to compare it with?
If so, I must have missed that :thinking:

Btw, I would be highly surprised (but hey, who knows) if the SE5 Ult would also end up as #1 over here.
The sq performance of the contenders remaining should be also on an extreme high level...

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #2,156 of 39,414
leonardo di caprio just opened a whole stack of champagne bottles for the comment made by @Overkill Red

:jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #2,157 of 39,414

To be fair, I never saw the Katana at the top of a list. Of course several sites say it is the best things since sliced bread but they do have Noble banners.

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #2,158 of 39,414
Please help me out: what has happened to the Katana exactly?
Was it also ranked at #1 somewhere by a member that had lots(!) of totl iems to compare it with?
If so, I must have missed that :thinking:

Btw, I would be highly surprised (but hey, who knows) if the SE5 Ult would also end up as #1 over here.
The sq performance of the contenders remaining should be also on an extreme high level...

I was going more on the fact that so many people rated the Katana as no.1, and look where it is. :thinking:

Either way, my point still stands. Even if a lot of reputable reviewers list it as no.1, it doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be deserving of your no.1. You may find something terrible due to genres of music used, etc.

Everyone arguing about this should just agree to disagree and be done with it, but then again its a shootout..

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,160 of 39,414
To be fair, I never saw the Katana at the top of a list. Of course several sites say it is the best things since sliced bread but they do have Noble banners.

What an interesting coincidence.. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back