flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #2,821 of 39,414
Nope. She is a scientist who spends 80 hours a week trying to find new treatments against cancer.
Cool mine aswwll but she loves back packs and shes ok with my choices.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #2,823 of 39,414
Yeah, it's all good and I can bribe her with a puppy once we get out of London and settle down a bit. :yum:
You get her a puppy you be the only one that has the time to care for it.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #2,824 of 39,414
You get her a puppy you be the only one that has the time to care for it.
Our plan is to settle down a bit once we get the postdoctoral years out of the way and I can do my research from home, so that is quite easy too. And if my wife sets up her own lab it will have a "doggy daycare" so she can sneak out for a quick cuddle. :grin:

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #2,825 of 39,414
I put my w900 on ebay too. It's not my taste. I'm too sesitive with treble. I couldn't listen to it more than an hour. I almost bought a A18 but after have a conversation with a lady from 64audio, i knew that it's not me. I decided purchased a A12, my first ciem. I'm in love with the sound signature of U12 which i can listen to it for hours.
I wonder that any TOTL iem in here have the smooth sound like U12 ?

Wow, that's extreme, man, and I thought I was too sensitive to treble :wink: Based on your requirements, I think you should look into something like W80.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #2,826 of 39,414
Wow, that's extreme, man, and I thought I was too sensitive to treble :wink: Based on your requirements, I think you should look into something like W80.
Yeah i know. I don't know if i change to cooper cable, it's will be better or not. I don't have any copper one. I used w900 with stock, ea thor silver ii and plussound gold plated hybird.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2,827 of 39,414
Yeah i know. I don't know if i change to cooper cable, it's will be better or not. I don't have any copper one. I used w900 with stock, ea thor silver ii and plussound gold plated hybird.

Due to your sensitivity to treble, probably a good idea to focus on IEM sound sig first and use cables as a final step just to fine-tune/refine the sound. Just my opinion, but I think in your case eartips will make a bigger difference than cables. Foamies usually help to tame down upper frequencies, but they also can muddy the low end. Definitely, consider W80, plus it comes stock with Ref8 cable and a ton of custom silicone and foam eartips.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,828 of 39,414
Due to your sensitivity to treble, probably a good idea to focus on IEM sound sig first and use cables as a final step just to fine-tune/refine the sound. Just my opinion, but I think in your case eartips will make a bigger difference than cables. Foamies usually help to tame down upper frequencies, but they also can muddy the low end. Definitely, consider W80, plus it comes stock with Ref8 cable and a ton of custom silicone and foam eartips.
Yup the foam tips help a bit. But it hurts my ears because nozzles're too big for my ears. I will take a look at w80 later. :)

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,829 of 39,414
Bought myself Aether and SE5ult , ended my game. Still curious to see how SE5 will be ranked. Asking myself "Does it even matter lol" because Aether has already beaten handful iems near the top ranks (imo)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2,831 of 39,414
I put my w900 on ebay too. It's not my taste. I'm too sesitive with treble. I couldn't listen to it more than an hour. I almost bought a A18 but after have a conversation with a lady from 64audio, i knew that it's not me. I decided purchased a A12, my first ciem. I'm in love with the sound signature of U12 which i can listen to it for hours.
I wonder that any TOTL iem in here have the smooth sound like U12 ?

I have both A12 and SE5U. The SE5U, while having better extension and greater treble presence, is also smoother than the A12. I also find it better than the A12 in virtually every aspect, so it might be something worth considering.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,832 of 39,414
that is nice, how do you like the se5ult? does it have different signature from the aether?
I'm waiting for it tbh. I have gathered some info and got to know that its the opposite, it can make Aether bright sounding. Not a signature for everyone. It lacks clarity and sparkle, can be too dark.

It's also not for everyone's ears, you will need to verify with your earmold to determine if it can be made...otherwise..you can't have it, kinda sucks

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,833 of 39,414
I'm waiting for it tbh. I have gathered some info and got to know that its the opposite, it can make Aether bright sounding. Not a signature for everyone. It lacks clarity and sparkle, can be too dark.

It's also not for everyone's ears, you will need to verify with your earmold to determine if it can be made...otherwise..you can't have it, kinda sucks

Its not bright, no. It does lack sparkle but clarity wise i find it on par if not slightly better than my Zeus XIV Adel. So i wouldnt say it is lacking that in any way. Its treble just has a very natural sounding smoothness to it, without being rolled off or lacking in presence.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #2,834 of 39,414
Its not bright, no. It does lack sparkle but clarity wise i find it on par if not slightly better than my Zeus XIV Adel. So i wouldnt say it is lacking that in any way. Its treble just has a very natural sounding smoothness to it, without being rolled off or lacking in presence.
Yeah, I didn't say it is but switching to Aether afterward can make Aether sounds bright. Btw, It's not an easy iem to get in any means, signature wise etc, not mention the unfriendly custom declaration.
I know some people actually like Aether better, matching it with the dap can also be a problem. I heard SE5 is a "Frustrated iem" , to get it sound good is also a problem.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #2,835 of 39,414
Getting an SE5U made is in itself a leap of faith. I've considered it many times, but have always looked for alternatives in the end. The fact that there are virtually no demos, no universal versions, silicon-only (which might affect longevity), and getting impressions done first before emailing back and forth to see if the SE5U can in fact, be made for you, and also the high price of reshelling a used SE5U... it'll remain one of the IEMs I'll never get to hear unless I buy blind.

No disrespect to Spiral Ears, the SE5U is indeed legend-status. I've hopefully heard IEMs from the same tier, so probably what will make me budge is a clear upgrade, or something totally different from the current TOTL IEM mould (multi-BA or hybrid or DD), like the KSE and LCDi4, and both are actually easier to obtain lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back