flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,763 of 39,414
@subguy812 Looking forward to your impression/review :) I think some people are having a hard time believing the Maestro is included in top five. For once, something from China can get some appreciation. Especially in this TOTL category.

Dita Dream now that I look at it, looks kinda like an earbud with a nozzle and silicone tips. Amusing. I'm not high or anything, just saying..

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,764 of 39,414
You have worked well my children. You are almost ready to master....the schwartz

I see your schwartz is as big as mine!
jGpr5wa.gif

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #2,766 of 39,414
@subguy812 Looking forward to your impression/review :) I think some people are having a hard time believing the Maestro is included in top five. For once, something from China can get some appreciation. Especially in this TOTL category.

Dita Dream now that I look at it, looks kinda like an earbud with a nozzle and silicone tips. Amusing. I'm not high or anything, just saying..

Yeah, Unique Melody and QDC have been unpopular here in Indonesia, even to those who enjoy the sound of their demo units, simply because they're "made in China." This is despite the fact that UM's build is generally excellent, and QDC have the tidiest internal components I've ever seen in a CIEM.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2,767 of 39,414
Yeah, Unique Melody and QDC have been unpopular here in Indonesia, even to those who enjoy the sound of their demo units, simply because they're "made in China." This is despite the fact that UM's build is generally excellent, and QDC have the tidiest internal components I've ever seen in a CIEM.
UM's build is pretty good, but not Fitear or Vision Ears level. Better than JH though. From my experience of course.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,769 of 39,414
So, #5 will probably be revealed next friday?
JSw99S.gif

Or did I somehow misunderstood (I'm usually pretty good at that)?

Not that I'm getting bored over here or anything like that...it's quite spectacular to watch how fast the grass grows these days, must be because of all the recent rainfall :grin:

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,770 of 39,414
So, #5 will probably be revealed next friday?
JSw99S.gif

Or did I somehow misunderstood (I'm usually pretty good at that)?

Not that I'm getting bored over here or anything like that...it's quite spectacular to watch how fast the grass grows these days, must be because of all the recent rainfall :grin:
That's how I understand it. Such a shame that Nic's real life life is getting in the way of our procrastination (yes, I should be working right now).
tenor.gif

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,771 of 39,414

The Dream kinda is a Titanium earbud with a nozzle and tip. Very lightweight and comfortable.

My initial impression of the Maestro is very good. I find myself saying that a lot recently, but I have been fortunate to have or borrow some seriously TOTL IEM's recently. The Maestro is one of those IEM's that doesn't really require much brain burn-in, IMO. It is warm, with a natural tone, easy to listen to. I enjoyed it for an hour long dog walk this morning and the sound was superb. The stage is not real wide but there is depth. It layers exceptionally well. Needs a bit of nudging of power to wake it up.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,772 of 39,414
My initial impression of the Maestro is very good. I find myself saying that a lot recently, but I have been fortunate to have or borrow some seriously TOTL IEM's recently. The Maestro is one of those IEM's that doesn't really require much brain burn-in, IMO. It is warm, with a natural tone, easy to listen to. I enjoyed it for an hour long dog walk this morning and the sound was superb. The stage is not real wide but there is depth. It layers exceptionally well. Needs a bit of nudging of power to wake it up.
Have you also heard the UE18+ Pro? I wonder how the Maestro compares in terms of its timber and whether or not is has a similarly realistic sound.

I should probably hope not because that would make the Maestro my new "most interesting" TOTL option and I keep having to adjust my budget. I think it is getting to around ten times what I had envisioned when I set out to buy "some better IEMs" a year ago... :ksc75smile:

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2,773 of 39,414
Oh yes. Been there. When I started out, I progressed from a $100 IEM to a $1000 IEM in less than a year.

:dizzy_face:

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,774 of 39,414
Have you also heard the UE18+ Pro? I wonder how the Maestro compares in terms of its timber and whether or not is has a similarly realistic sound.

I should probably hope not because that would make the Maestro my new "most interesting" TOTL option and I keep having to adjust my budget. I think it is getting to around ten times what I had envisioned when I set out to buy "some better IEMs" a year ago... :ksc75smile:
i have heard ue18+ universal, no sparkle what so ever, not my cup of tea, i mean everything is there, but feels like its making the sounds hold its breath a bit if it makes sense
but i centainly understand how this can attribute to naturalness to band music that flinkenick was talking about

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,775 of 39,414
Oh yes. Been there. When I started out, I progressed from a $100 IEM to a $1000 IEM in less than a year.

:dizzy_face:
The worst thing is that music genuinely helps me manage my ADHD without medication, which is horrible stuff, so it is also a health benefit. That gives me extra incentive to try out higher end gear because the better the quality and the more the signature fits my preferences, the more effective it is. And I have medically diagnosed poor impulse control! If my wife wasn't the sensible type I bet I would have been rocking an AK380Cu with half of Nic's shootout by now.

Hmmm... Nic, have you ever been tested for ADHD? :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back