Questyle QP1
Jul 27, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #4,156 of 4,272
As so often on Head-Fi, general interest in a product wanes dramatically once the manufacturer launches a successor. Fortunately, that doesn't make the original any less excellent and it's often a great time to snag a bargain. I've been interested in the QP-1R pretty much since it's launch; excited by the sound quality but worried enough by some of the user reports of UI frustrations and battery indication issues etc. not to have taken the plunge. A recent discount offer from a UK store at an amazing price (£550) saw me finally tempted to buy one and I'm glad I did. The good news so far for is that all the reports of its excellent sound quality seem spot on, while the less positive stuff seems less of a problem than I feared.

I reckon its still right up with the best DAPs in terms of sound quality. In terms of UI I feel like I've gone full circle in UI terms and come home - quite literally - having been a fairly early adopter of an iPod around 15 years ago.

Thanks to all who have made this thread so interesting and useful!

I used iPods for a very long time. My iPod Classic 160gb literally sold here on head-fi three days ago.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,157 of 4,272
I am looking for some guidance on burn-in time. I searched the thread and I could not come to any conclusion. As I can see the following discussion in mid 2015 is the most conclusive one where there is no official requirement for burn-in. Is that the case or can someone please comment? If to burn in say 100 hours what is the best method to achieve this fast

"Post #2211 of 4156
Unlike other DAPs on the market, the QP1R has a fully discrete, Pure Class A amplifier built in! Like any high quality amplifier, there is a burn in period. Where the 300 to 400 hours came from, I do not know, however, I will tell you they do take about 100 hours of burn in before really blossoming.

The reason why I said "No" was because there wasn't a definitive post from any Questyle representative regarding burn-in time. I know that you and I discussed the QP1R's burn-in , but I did not want to post what may or may not have been appropriate to divulge publicly."

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #4,158 of 4,272
As so often on Head-Fi, general interest in a product wanes dramatically once the manufacturer launches a successor. Fortunately, that doesn't make the original any less excellent and it's often a great time to snag a bargain. I've been interested in the QP-1R pretty much since it's launch; excited by the sound quality but worried enough by some of the user reports of UI frustrations and battery indication issues etc. not to have taken the plunge. A recent discount offer from a UK store at an amazing price (£550) saw me finally tempted to buy one and I'm glad I did. The good news so far for is that all the reports of its excellent sound quality seem spot on, while the less positive stuff seems less of a problem than I feared.

I reckon its still right up with the best DAPs in terms of sound quality. In terms of UI I feel like I've gone full circle in UI terms and come home - quite literally - having been a fairly early adopter of an iPod around 15 years ago.

Thanks to all who have made this thread so interesting and useful!

Glad you like it. I got mine for US$640 yesterday (new) but not the wheel fixed version and updated to latest firmware which improved the wheel a bit. I got it to pair with Westone W80, Audeze Isine20 and I have been using these with Onkyo DP-X1. I am not yet impressed with QP1R over Onkyo or Mojo. For me Onkyo is is still similar whilst QP1R is bit warmish. I am hoping that more burn in time would do justice. I checked with AKG K812 and that definitely much better with Mojo. I need to check with Shure SE846, Hifiman HE400i too.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4,159 of 4,272
I just received my QP1R and I will say this:
QP1R is a very nice DAP from a build and looks perspective. It is solid and the UI (I have v 1.0.4) is really quite good and responsive. The track wheel is a little stiff, more so due to the fine finish on it. I lick my index finger slightly and get good response. I may put a light dual sided tape on it temporarily until it loosens up a bit, but definitely not a deal breaker. You have 2 custom EQ settings you can set up or just run w/o EQ. I prefer playing with the settings as they do add some nice SQ depending on the track.
As for the main point....SQ. I must say this is one truly nice unit with superb imaging and this is with only about 5 hrs listening on my Fostex TH-xxx and Dharma 1000 headphones (both easy to drive and sound fabulous on this DAP. I can't wait to try my HD800/700/650, AKG K812, Audeze LCD-X/XC and a few others. The sound is so rich that it is really hard to believe you can get SQ and resolution this good from a portable device. It definitely has enough power for headphones up to 300 ohms and be able to drive them beyond what is bearable to the ears in high gain mode. You also have medium and low for low impedance phones and IEMs.

How does it compare to the competition???
Cowon Plenue P1 (I have it). The Cowon was my favorite DAP until I bought the Luxury & Precision L5 pro and now the QP1R.
The Cowon is very nice and has a very nice UI and the sound is truly excellent, especially with Jet Effect 7 (built in with the EQ functionality). Definitely not a DAP to pass by. I have had it for 6 months and I have not had a problem yet and it has quite a bit of power.
Not quite as much as the QP1R or the L&P L5pro much less the Acoustic Research AR-M2 which is a beast when it comes to power and also has terrific sound quality and resolution. It will power anything you throw at it.
Now:
QP1R vs Cowon Plenue P1: Tough choice but since they essentially in the same price range in the US, the QP1R is the better sounding and better looking DAP IMHO. The Cowon UI is a little nicer but it only has 1 SD card slot up to 128gb and 64gb internal which is technically enough. The QP1R just has such a clean and neutral presentation with a better and faster overall sonic attack in the MID and Treble region. The Cowon presents more low end bass, but the QP1R using the EQ gets quite nice without being too bass heavy and "Boomy sounding". I personally look for SQ and resolution along with a nice all around sound stage which it does very nicely, but a lot depends on the headphones as well. So, if I had to choose just one, it would be the QP1R w/o any hesitation.

QP1R vs L&P L5pro: This is a tougher one to choose. Both are really fabulous. Both have exceptioanl SQ and overall resolution and imaging. The L5pro a little more on the warm side but not by much so it is nice to have both units. UI is more developed on the QP1R. L5pro has a few more bugs to iron out and needs an adjustable EQ. Right now it only has preset options (rock, jazz, classical, etc). I use rock as I find it suits a wider array of genre. also a nicely built and solid DAP but it is NOT the QP1R. The Questyle takes this category against all comers in my opinion, even goes straight head to head with the Astel & Kern players. So, in my opinion the winner overall is the QP1R.

QP1R vs AK120II: Well both have great build and looks but in the overall SQ and imaging department, the QP1R is the clear winner at just a little over half the price of the AK. So the only category that the AK wins is having balanced 2.5mm (kind of goofy since all other players use 3.5mm). But apart from that, it really is no competition. Throw in the money factor and value, The QP1R blows it out of the water in my opinion.

QP1R vs AR-M2: another tough one. Here it really depends on what you want to use it for. They both sound really great but overall imaging and clarity goes to the QP1R. If you plan to drive harder to drive full size headphones and primary usage will be full size cans, I would "ever-so-slightly" lean to the AR-M2. The AR-M2 does not have high/low gain settings. It is a power house DAP that sounds great. If you plan to use IEMs primarily, the QP1R is the clear winner here. If you plan to use both full size up to 300 ohms and IEMs, the QP1R is still the SQ and resolution winner IMHO. It is the better sounding unit overall. Both are built like a tank and the fit and finish are truly wonderful on both units. The AR-M2 is larger in all dimensions and "heavier". It is a really serious DAP for full size cans. Again, glad to own both as my preference is full size cans. But as an overall winner, I would slightly lean towards the QP1R again.....not by much but it is a cleaner sounding DAP. The UI on the AR-M2 is Android based (a toned down and simpler Android) but it is quick responding and you can swipe the screen like a typical smart phone for usage. AR-M2 does do better here if that is your thing. To me sonic performance is the main driver by far for any DAP I look at purchasing. So these 2 units are the 2 best overall with the edge going to the QP1R and at $300 USD less than the AR-M2.

More to follow once I get to break in the Questyle and use it with more headphones as well as IEMs. Thanks and all the best!

P.S. You will not go wrong with the QP1R by any means and it is better than the Cowon Plenue P1 to give a final answer to that question!

I WAS getting ready to sell my AKG K812 headphones, but then tried it on my Questyle QP1R. I LOVE THIS COMBINATION! These cans didn't do well on my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana or Sony NW-WM1A.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #4,160 of 4,272
I really like my K872's from the QP1R as well.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,161 of 4,272
They don't like everything but most is just awesome. The 872's can run out of a phone as well but this little buddy is just awesome with any of my cans too.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #4,162 of 4,272
They don't like everything but most is just awesome. The 872's can run out of a phone as well but this little buddy is just awesome with any of my cans too.

I often get in "moods" for certain DAPs. I was listening to Lotoo Paw Gold Diana and Sony NW-WM1A with Audioquest Nighthawk and Shure SRH1540 headphones, in balanced on the Sony. I love all my DAPs, but the Questyle QP1R is the only one for the AKGs.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #4,163 of 4,272
The Lotoo is one I would like to hear. Still debating on going balanced with a QP2R or another as I don't have earphones that are balanced only headphones so I'm not sure I need it . I like sitting out on the back patio and listening but still not sure.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #4,164 of 4,272
The Lotoo is one I would like to hear. Still debating on going balanced with a QP2R or another as I don't have earphones that are balanced only headphones so I'm not sure I need it . I like sitting out on the back patio and listening but still not sure.

The Sony 4.4mm balanced output is great. Stay away from the 2.5mm balanced...they're known to cut out and be temperamental.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #4,165 of 4,272
Well I heard the Z1R's with one of there TOTL daps and was not too impressed it just didn't sound right to me. The treble wasn't nasal but pretty close just not my cup of tea. Sorry just didn't like it. I would like to hear the Z1R's from something other as I think they might be good.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #4,166 of 4,272
Well I heard the Z1R's with one of there TOTL daps and was not too impressed it just didn't sound right to me. The treble wasn't nasal but pretty close just not my cup of tea. Sorry just didn't like it. I would like to hear the Z1R's from something other as I think they might be good.
Sony wm1z is one of the best daps on the market you can buy. It just doesn't have a good synergy with Z1R . You'd better off pairing it with wm1a.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #4,167 of 4,272
I WAS getting ready to sell my AKG K812 headphones, but then tried it on my Questyle QP1R. I LOVE THIS COMBINATION! These cans didn't do well on my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana or Sony NW-WM1A.
Agree. Best that I head of K812 is with QP1R

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4,168 of 4,272
I've bought a (second-hand) QP1R, which should arrive later this week...:) From what I understand the latest firmware is 1.0.8 and the song limit is about 20,000, is that right? I have 2*200 GB micro-SD cards loaded up.

I understand that 'my' unit will have the battery indicator issue, but as long as I regularly charge it, I should be OK?

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #4,169 of 4,272
Can’t remember the song limit as it started out at 4999 and was raised but can’t remember how much that could be right. From what I can tell the battery still lasts around 8 hours but haven’t tested lately but yes charge it and don’t rely on the indicator as mine sometimes shuts off at 30 or 40% and sometimes down to 10 it is a bit screwy sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back