Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
May 3, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #124 of 1,608
hm...let's see future firmware.... ConnectIT and E1 have today announced price in Singapore will be 629SGD. Seems ok. Loooking forward to try it.
£350 in the uk. No idea how it compares price wise. Mind you no gapless means I'm out anyway!

May 3, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #125 of 1,608
I want this! Seems like a perfect addition to the Mojo. Dual card and Tidal and small size is perfection!

Do be aware that it currently doesn't do two of the three things that you want it to do.....
(there's no ETA for digital output via USB or Tidel streaming support)

May 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #129 of 1,608
Got the brand new DP S1 today...couple of disappointments compared with DP X1: 1), the music library sync take too too too long time; 2) cannot show dual SD cards together which means you can only choose songs from one sd card although two are inserted....sound quality is not as good as dp x1, but it is understandable given the pricing gap..

the device has gapless play enabled actually

May 8, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #130 of 1,608
Just got the Rubato last week and trying it out of the box next to my well cooked (but now seldom used) DP-X1 the quick take is it does almost everything sonically the DP-X1 does minus a tiny bit of cleaniness and a tiny tiny bit of soundstaging (understandable considering the smaller and more packed PCB). What surprises me is it sounds equally dynamic, if not more so, than the X1 (usually the first thing shrunk down designs suffer from is dynamics due to smaller electronic components used). I tend to think the full ESS Sabre implementation of Onkyo/Pioneer is a rather lazy design move, but it ensures the combo is maturely designed and the components are complementing each other, with costs probably lowered that way.

The new UI of Rubato is not perfect, but to me it serves way better as a dedicated music player than the Android based X1 UI. Response speed is ultra fast and library scan is lightning quick.

This may just be THE DAP for people who:
1. wants the best sounding mid-priced DAP (the price even at MSRP is a steal IMO); or
2. like myself, got a more chunky main rig (Sony WM1A for me) but would appreciate a lighter but nothing-to-fault rig for certain situations (the Rubato certainly fits any jacket pocket without pressure, and I just enjoyed my lightly-packed weekend getaway with it)

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #132 of 1,608
No problems on library scan for XDP-30R. All songs from both cards appear in single area on mine.

OK, an update on gapless availability. It seems fine for FLAC but not for DSD files.
That particular DSD file plays gapless fine on my other DAPs so it is definitely not a file problem.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #134 of 1,608
I used my Venturecraft Valoq with upsampling, and the Sony WM1A's DSEE HX engine doing more or less the same thing. This feature always turn a player's performance from good to excellent, or from excellent to simply fantastic (in the case of WM1A)

Now with the Rubato, it offers one of the best upsampling and hi-bit functions around. Quite surprised this feature is not publicized more in the marketing materials (possibly cos it is inbuilt with the ESS system not Onkyo's own creation?) but I found it even outperforming the already excellent Venturecraft (i.e. an implementation of the Asahi Kasei processing chip) upsampling performance.

May 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #135 of 1,608
HELP PLEASE - Apologies for being so dumb.

Coming from the Sony players I'm perplexed about loading music into my newly arrived XDP-30R.
I had loaded music up into a 200GB card and put it in the player, but it is not recognised. So I copied all that laboriously loaded music onto a PC file and formatted the card, re-inserted it into the 30R but it does not recognise it is there and does not show up in Windows Explorer or using the X-DAP link (a program I'm not yet understanding).

When the 30R is started it wants to "Unmount" USB Mass Storage Mode, something which makes no sense to me because I want the 30R communicating with the PC. Unmounting it takes me to a number of screens -> Settings where only "Unmount SD card" makes any reference to cards. However, despite a card being in slot 1, it is greyed out.

I'm obviously missing something fundamental so would appreciate guidance.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back