Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 27, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #9,031 of 10,664
Hello fellow headfiers,

Apologies for this, I've been trying to learn from this thread but it's very very long as of now, I read long back on the HDD upgrade mods to Tarkan msata mod and now seems like there are too many variants with the SDXC/flash etc, Should have done long back but due to studies and work I couldn't just do and now Head-fi also changed reading is tougher more plus no more search function. I need help to fix and upgrade my iPod 5.5G 30GB ("Late 2006" White) model - I've already modded it with Rockbox, iPodLinux and Apple OS with triple boot long back, but It's battery is completely dead. The mobo should be working great.

I'm open to all suggestions on resurrecting it. I like the sound of Wolfson DAC (Voodoo modded SGS it just blows everything out of competition). All the new phones don't have good audio and hacks and the recent headphone jack fiasco is unfortunate, I'd choose the high capacity dedicated modded audio gear - iPod. This one has good old memories, It'll be really great If I can get this upgraded in the best way possible.

I know rapidrepair that sells ipod components, How is it ? Please suggest anything that's better to put our trust in the components ordering. I don't have the cable or power adapter either :frowning2: Also first I have to buy a battery, a good one because I have to know what Bootloader version is in it so provide further information that's needed for the possible upgrade choices from the 30GB 1.5" HDD to a new storage & cosmetically perhaps a new metal housing as there's gap in the front glass panel to the metal back, As well along with the clearview front panel. But the functionality is more needed..

Thanks a lot in advance, I'd be grateful for this invaluable help & head start on this project. It'd be the best gift for my coming bday, Fingers crossed..In the meantime I'll try to start reading (too much of backlog, other forums too )

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #9,032 of 10,664
Hi All!
I have come across this thread after I bought and received the msata SSD, this is the one I got:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Gold...32688654768.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.BEtVdC

According to some info readed here, the drive is 3.3v so it shoud work, and it is less than 1amp, so, again it should work, considering that the EVO850 is way higher in amps, unfortunately, I also bought the chinesse green adapter and my iPod is a 6.5g 120GB thin one, any recomendations at this point? has anyone have succeded with a non-crucial nor EVO SSD on a 6.5g iPod?? are there any special tricks I need with this combo (6.5g ipod + Chinesse green adapter), other than a nice msata SSD?? Any specific way to format it to FAT32????

I have read a lot of pages from this thread, but come'on it is 602 long already by the time I finish reading all of it, apple will come out with the iPod retro and they will be back on the shelfs!!! :S

Chinesse adapter doesnt work with 6.5th iPod.... This is your problem..

May 28, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #9,034 of 10,664
Hello fellow headfiers,

The 5.5g is great for modding - I'd get a larger battery like this one - but look for cheaper listings, there are many suppliers of the same battery, and there are "2000 mAh" (not really 2000mAh) and 3000mAh (these ones are actually around 3000mAh) options as well, but fitting them in can be tricky. If 30gb of music isn't doing for you, the cheapest route is to get a ZIF->SD adapter. There are both generic ones on ebay, as well as Tarkan's line of iFlash CF, SD, microSD, and mSATA adapters. Tarkan's adapters are pretty much foolproof, the generic ones have a few quirks.

May 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #9,035 of 10,664
The 5.5g is great for modding - I'd get a larger battery like this one - but look for cheaper listings, there are many suppliers of the same battery, and there are "2000 mAh" (not really 2000mAh) and 3000mAh (these ones are actually around 3000mAh) options as well, but fitting them in can be tricky. If 30gb of music isn't doing for you, the cheapest route is to get a ZIF->SD adapter. There are both generic ones on ebay, as well as Tarkan's line of iFlash CF, SD, microSD, and mSATA adapters. Tarkan's adapters are pretty much foolproof, the generic ones have a few quirks.

Thanks, would be better If I can find one from good seller to serve as a better replacement with the thick 60/80GB metal back (are the headphone jacks and hold switches also different across 30GB to 60/80GB 5.5G iPods ?)

I just ordered a normal battery from the iFixit the 580 one, just test my iPod out, realized later the price I paid was more for it. I got the data cable though and only powers up from wall, The LCD display is not good has dead pixels, and a changed color spot plus the bezel is also not good, there's flex, not perfectly aligned to the metal back plate, we can press on the edges plus even less pressurized touch on the display bezel makes it touch the LCD.

Except the Mobo (32MB not a biggie since I'll use the Rockbox although here's a post that says 32mb limit isn't real) / Metal frame / back panel / jack / clickwheel rest (LCD, Bezel, Battery, iFlash) needs to be replaced Display from iFixit is at $30 + shipping. As for the panel I'm looking at a black front panel from this seller & again a back metal panel for upgraded battery mod or the OEM battery...

Coming to the adapters, after seeing the tests of the solo, dual, quad, mSata. I'm steering towards either the uSD Quad which can give 800gb of max plus lower power consumption at slightly write loss vs mSATA and cheaper. Also the Dual SDXC which does well also with better speeds than uSD or can use uSD for savings & both seem better than CF due to the price/thickness increase with CF.

P.S - There are so many things to order to fix her up, Plus I don't see my IPL triple-boot bootloader screen maybe my friend wiped with iTunes restore.. :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #9,036 of 10,664
Does anyone have any idea why I cannot get my iFlash-Quad to work with my iPod gen 5.5 80gb? I can get the Quad to work with my iPod gen 4 but run into issues when adding over 130 gb of music. My iPod gen 5.5 works using its original 80 gb hard drive but I cannot get it to work with the Quad as it gets stuck in a restore loop (flashing Apple logo) after restoring. I thought it might be a battery issue since everything I've seen online regarding the restore loop issue seems to be battery related, but the battery otherwise works fine (when using the original 80 gb hard drive). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

May 31, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #9,037 of 10,664
Does anyone have any idea why I cannot get my iFlash-Quad to work with my iPod gen 5.5 80gb? I can get the Quad to work with my iPod gen 4 but run into issues when adding over 130 gb of music. My iPod gen 5.5 works using its original 80 gb hard drive but I cannot get it to work with the Quad as it gets stuck in a restore loop (flashing Apple logo) after restoring. I thought it might be a battery issue since everything I've seen online regarding the restore loop issue seems to be battery related, but the battery otherwise works fine (when using the original 80 gb hard drive). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You may need to follow these instructions:
https://www.iflash.xyz/prepare-sdxc-exfat-for-use-with-the-ipod/

May 31, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #9,039 of 10,664
Does anyone have any....

The only "X" or restore loop problems I've had with the few 5.5g that I've upgraded ended up being connectors. One was the ZIF cable, and one was the CF/SD adapter coming loose. Check that the ZIF cable is the right way round and intact. This doesn't sound like that, so I'd try formatting the cards and seeing if that helps.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #9,042 of 10,664
Ordered an iFlash Quad for my 30GB 5.5G, planning to get a SanDisk Ultra 200GB for that. Anyone did the Quad iFlash mod on their 5.5Gs ? I'd like to know the speed, read that there are reports on ipod video that the speeds are so low even at 5-6mbps on Rockbox / Disk mode latter being much slower..Plus uSD being slow as well vs Full size SD cards.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #9,043 of 10,664
Hi Guys,
I'm a new member from the UK, and am about to purchase an iPod Classic to modify.

Planned specs are currently as follows:

• Space Grey; 160GB; 64MB RAM; 7th Generation; iPod Classic
OR
• Black; 80GB; 64MB RAM; 5.5th Generation; iPod Video
• Thin BackPlate
• iFlash Quad Adapter
• 4x 200GB; ScanDisk Ultra; 90mbs; MicroSD Cards; = 800GB Total
• 2000mah Battery

I'm also looking into the possibility of internal Bluetooth.

I'll post pictures and questions once I've found an iPod to convert.

My first questions for everyone here are about the casings. What do people do regarding replacement of the Front-Plate and Back-Plate? Are they purchased from anyone in particular, or are they eBay items?
A lot of the devices I've seen have badly scratched/swirled Back-Plates. I'm concerned that If I bought a replacement, the serial number on the Back-Plate won't match that of the actual device, so I'd prefer to retain the original plate and polish it up. Is this a realistic option with polishing compounds and mops, or will it remove/damage the etching on the Back-Plate? I imagine the etching would be just fine just as long as the scratches are from regular usage rather than abuse, but thought I'd ask first rather than just making assumptions.

Looking forward to getting this started,
Thanks in advance
Anthony

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #9,044 of 10,664
Has anyone had any success ordering from Alex recently? Both his ebay page and website seem to have payment issues.

I was thinking to do this mod and sadly I cannot get the 2000mah from the Alex's store seems to have blocked it.., On a side note Waiting for the Tarkan's Quad chipset, Got the black frame too. One last piece of puzzle missing..Hopefully he opens it up, can't wait to see how this battery holds up.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #9,045 of 10,664
Hi Guys,
I'm a new member from the UK, and am about to purchase an iPod Classic to modify.

Planned specs are currently as follows:

• Space Grey; 160GB; 64MB RAM; 7th Generation; iPod Classic
OR
• Black; 80GB; 64MB RAM; 5.5th Generation; iPod Video
• Thin BackPlate
• iFlash Quad Adapter
• 4x 200GB; ScanDisk Ultra; 90mbs; MicroSD Cards; = 800GB Total
• 2000mah Battery

I'm also looking into the possibility of internal Bluetooth.

I'll post pictures and questions once I've found an iPod to convert.

My first questions for everyone here are about the casings. What do people do regarding replacement of the Front-Plate and Back-Plate? Are they purchased from anyone in particular, or are they eBay items?
A lot of the devices I've seen have badly scratched/swirled Back-Plates. I'm concerned that If I bought a replacement, the serial number on the Back-Plate won't match that of the actual device, so I'd prefer to retain the original plate and polish it up. Is this a realistic option with polishing compounds and mops, or will it remove/damage the etching on the Back-Plate? I imagine the etching would be just fine just as long as the scratches are from regular usage rather than abuse, but thought I'd ask first rather than just making assumptions.

Looking forward to getting this started,
Thanks in advance
Anthony
Welcome to the site! I have purchased replacement parts from rapid repair. The new case back was bare (no engraving), you could have it laser engraved any way you want though. I chose to cover mine with 3m Di-Noc matte carbon fiber vinyl. You could polish your stock back, but you will more than likely remove the engraving in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back