Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,806 of 6,464
Sorry again to all for my slow reply, I should be quicker to reply
here on thread again from now on.

I received my Silvergarde S2 (for my Focal Utopia) from Trevor a few days ago. I believe this flagship model uses cotton fiber in its construction.
Thanks Canister, yes using pure textile in the design, textile layers, cotton multicore, etc.

Nico will forward your tracking this week.

Any news when Trevor will start taking sales for the new Silvergarde S2 on his website?
They have been available via email and finally going to be listed on site hopefully tonight, finishing off a bunch of
editing for the website still.

I know that I owe you a more definitive answer on the Therium/Silvergarde comparison, but with the new kittens (monsters), I don't dare not being able to hear anything that they are getting into at ALL TIMES. So I haven't listened to any of my personal gear for longer than I like to think about. I don't know how to insert a link to a post in a different thread. But I think you can find the original post from the 846 thread by looking at post history in my profile. Personally I like my Silvergarde over my 8 Wire Therium. What I explain in the post that the below quote comes from pretty much sums up what I experienced the one time that I did some cable/IEM swapping. The Silvergarde added a level of detail that I had not heard before from the 846's, which I had primarily paired with my Therium cable.
"What I wanted to convey is that I experienced a Holy Crap moment yesterday using a 846/Silvergarde combo with my X5. Very Pleasantly Surprised!"

Thanks Kino for the feedback.

Sorry for the messy multi-quoting above, first time using it on the new site!
edit: looks like some were quoted, some were not...

I will be working to clear all emails tonight and finally get the site updates rolled out.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,807 of 6,464
@TigzStudio Hey Trevor, you should ask a site admin or mod so they can modify your Member of the Trade tag to Norne Audio:
Code:
 [url=http://www.norneaudio.com][b]Norne Audio[/b][/url]

So that when people interested in your products hover over it and click, they'll be able to reach it directly instead of having to google it, since your profile page doesn't have a link too :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,808 of 6,464
A question to lcd2 amd silvergarde/eternus owners.

Has the silver cable sacrificed (or enhanced) anything in the lushness/richness of mids and lower end of the lcd2?

Is it just as lush but more detailed sounding

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #2,810 of 6,464
I've been looking at getting a Norne cable because the stock balanced one with my HD800S is too long.

Would a Draug 2 work well with a Violetric V850/V281 --> HD800S combination?

Thanks!
Depending on your budget a silver cable (eg silvergarde s2 or silver draug) might come up very special with the warmer touches of the hd800S and violectric amp. But would be twice the price or so of the draug copper.

My experience with Trevor's cables has me loving the high level of detail of the silvergarde. A good tight bass too with a nice touch of weight there.

On a side note the only other silver cable I tried with my hd800 was the silver dragon and I found these too dry and a little too sharp without that little bit of added tone that the norne gave me. I only demoed the silver dragon for ten minutes and I am used to the silvergarde.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,811 of 6,464
I've been looking at getting a Norne cable because the stock balanced one with my HD800S is too long.

Would a Draug 2 work well with a Violetric V850/V281 --> HD800S combination?

Thanks!

Yes I think it would. I haven't personally experienced that combo nor the HD800S (I did have a modded HD800 with V281 though) but I do have a modified HD800 and the Draug 2 does great with it. I did have the Solv X as well and it brought out more punch and detail but at the cost of the tonality I enjoy. I've started to realise that you can enjoy your music without getting every single minute detail but it's hard to enjoy the music even if you have all the details if you don't like the tonality.

I find that the Draug 2 makes the HD800 bearable in terms of tonality and also noticeably enhances its qualities compared to the stock cable. I would imagine that it would do the same for the HD800S even if it supposedly has more bass etc. Draug 2 doesn't make your headphones a bass monster. It improves what's already there and gives the sound a bit of muscle; something the HD800 sorely needs; which is why it's so popular with HD800 owners.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #2,813 of 6,464
Thanks both!

I appreciate your feedback and decided to order the Draug 2.

Hopefully the wait isn't too long!
Cool. Let us know how you go with it. Interested to hear how it goes with the hd800s

You may find you take to it straight away or it sneaks up on you like it did with my hd800

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,815 of 6,464
Has anyone experience of a Norne cable for HD800 which isn't Draug2? Looking to get one to use with Hugo 2 and just checking my options...
arcane and silvergarde and draug

soon to be grabbing the silvergarde 2

it depends on your system of course
the detail that comes out of the silvergarde is fantastic

nice rich tone underlying it (a bit more than subtle too) so it's not as sterile/sharp as some cheaper silver cables may be.

IMHO would suit the hd800s or a set up on the hd800 that is leaning on the non-brighter side, say warm or close to warm.

i have the wa2 and metrum hex so it works well

the other option is the silver draug that i have not heard. After chatting with Trevor about these options i THINK the draug is more transparent and the bass is not quite as punchy as the silvergarde (relatively speaking). I believe the top end is very refined and quite smooth

i chose the silvergarde due to that extra punch/tone as i felt my system and my ears need it

I have not heard the hugo 2 or read much about the new offering to add further there

as usual Trevor would be able to fill you in quite extensively

(just on the side i do have the original silvergarde in the classifieds if you want to save a few dollars - not the reason for this response)

cheers

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #2,816 of 6,464
a couple of additional points:

the arcane (which may no longer being made (a hybrid)) a true blend of high detail of the silver copper coming through with the dynamic punch of the bass right across the spectrum. at times i found it a little unnatural but always fun. i sold it and bought the lcd 2

i noticed you have the v280 and menuet dac - in that case i would say if you are looking for a detailed sound (significantly over copper and even the much loved draug) then the silvergarde 2 or draug is definitely worth considering if within your budget

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,817 of 6,464
Thanks for the detailed response @thecrow ! I have the Silvergarde for my Z1R and highly enjoy it. Conventional wisdom on HD800 suggests Draug BUT the Hugo 2 is making it sound great with stock cables... decisions decisions ... wish I could demo this stuff, LOL

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,818 of 6,464
Has anyone experience of a Norne cable for HD800 which isn't Draug2? Looking to get one to use with Hugo 2 and just checking my options...

I had the Norne Solv X. Compared to Draug 2, results were:

- More details, better imaging, better clarity, better bass punch. Possibly bigger sound-stage too but this one I can't remember as clearly.
- Sound is not as muscular and beefy as Draug2 which I didn't mind initially but after a while, I yearned for a meatier sound..
- The details were like perfectly etched out but I found myself preferring a more filled out tone.
- It's wayyyy better than stock SPC cable which cannot even compare.

So conclusion for me was... it's a better cable for more details but the sound won't flesh out as much and while that would work with something already beefy like HD650, for my ears, I preferred the Draug 2 and I was willing to take the hit in technicalities.

Today I use Draug 2 with my HD800 Cork modded with SDR and I just bought the Draug 2 C. I'll be comparing them for sure.

I owned Arcane and Silvergarde at one stage but they were for HE560 and HE1000 respectively. Both are sold now and I never got to try them with the HD800. Arcane was sounded REALLY REALLY smooth and nice on the HE560.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,819 of 6,464
Thanks for the detailed response @thecrow ! I have the Silvergarde for my Z1R and highly enjoy it. Conventional wisdom on HD800 suggests Draug BUT the Hugo 2 is making it sound great with stock cables... decisions decisions ... wish I could demo this stuff, LOL
If you already have the silvergarde for the z1r then i would buy a silvergarde headphone adapter (hd800 to z1r) for not too much (as opposed to needing to outlay for an entirely new cable

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,820 of 6,464
I would not be too keen to recommend the silvergarde if you are having sone issues with the highs if the hd800 as is. If youre not then it takes detail to another level.

I always thought the stockcable was a great middle of the road crowd friendly cable. Doesn't break any records but doesnt do much wrong either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back