NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,026 of 2,168
  just wanted to let you know that I felt the K7XX and HD700 love the Lyr2 (I have Matsuhita/National NOS tubes), and I just bought an EL-8 open from another member and am waiting for them now. This got me really excited, in all honesty 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Do you know if the EL-8 open you heard was a 2016 revision model or earlier?

My EL8 is an old one from when they were first released in 2014, it does sound different from the newer versions but its a matter of a slightly different sound signature.  Mine don't have as much mid bass but have a bit more sub bass so depending on the track can sound bass lite at times but the mids on the newer ones are a bit recessed in comparison so I decided to keep mine for now but if they ever need to be repaired it will be with the latest drivers.  While the EL8 sounds good on the Lyr2 I actually like it better from the headphone jack of my UD-301, a better pairing to me due to the slightly smoother highs compared to the Lyr2.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,027 of 2,168
  My EL8 is an old one from when they were first released in 2014, it does sound different from the newer versions but its a matter of a slightly different sound signature.  Mine don't have as much mid bass but have a bit more sub bass so depending on the track can sound bass lite at times but the mids on the newer ones are a bit recessed in comparison so I decided to keep mine for now but if they ever need to be repaired it will be with the latest drivers.  While the EL8 sounds good on the Lyr2 I actually like it better from the headphone jack of my UD-301, a better pairing to me due to the slightly smoother highs compared to the Lyr2.

Interesting, I have heard that the newer one that I'll receive is darker in tonality, should be interesting. I always have my Geek Pulse XFi if the Lyr2 doesn't pair fantastically. We shall see 
happy_face1.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,028 of 2,168
Hello guys!

Would it be possible to use speakers with my lyr2?

My Setup is:

Rega rp8 turntable
Rega aria Phono preamp
Lyr2 amp

And i would love to have a Set of q-acoustics speakers at t end.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,029 of 2,168
Hello guys!

Would it be possible to use speakers with my lyr2?

My Setup is:

Rega rp8 turntable
Rega aria Phono preamp
Lyr2 amp

And i would love to have a Set of q-acoustics speakers at t end.

If the speakers are self powered then you can use the pre-amp outputs to connect to them.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2,031 of 2,168
No they are not. Means i would need a ragnarok to be able to do?

If you want to drive both headphones and speakers I would suggest a Teac AI-301DA, I have the older AH-01 which is quite good for headphones and speakers.  The DAC section is good and both the speaker amps and headphones amps are much better than I would have guessed for the price and they both have a remote which makes them very flexible in your setup.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,032 of 2,168
If you want to drive both headphones and speakers I would suggest a Teac AI-301DA, I have the older AH-01 which is quite good for headphones and speakers.  The DAC section is good and both the speaker amps and headphones amps are much better than I would have guessed for the price and they both have a remote which makes them very flexible in your setup.

Thanks for your advice! I would really just need an amp. DAC is not needed since i listen to vinyl only. Ill have a closer look outside of the schhit models i guess. Thanks and best regards

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,034 of 2,168
So I've been really enjoying my Lyr 2 with my Teaks and HD650's, but was considering getting some monitors for when I don't need the headphones. How does the Lyr 2 fare with something like the LSR305's or Alpha 50's, anyone have experience or input?

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,035 of 2,168
  So I've been really enjoying my Lyr 2 with my Teaks and HD650's, but was considering getting some monitors for when I don't need the headphones. How does the Lyr 2 fare with something like the LSR305's or Alpha 50's, anyone have experience or input?

The Lyr 2 works great with my Swan M200MKIII powered monitors. Most of my listening is through the monitors. The Mjolnir 2 works better yet...... 

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,036 of 2,168
I've spent quite a bit of time trying to justify jumping on any of the Mjolnir 2 ads that pop up, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger with a new PC build lurking in the next few months.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #2,037 of 2,168
  I've spent quite a bit of time trying to justify jumping on any of the Mjolnir 2 ads that pop up, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger with a new PC build lurking in the next few months.

Just upgraded from a Lyr 2 to the MJ2 substantial upgrade using the same tubes. Though the Lyr 2 is def no slouch.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,038 of 2,168
  Just upgraded from a Lyr 2 to the MJ2 substantial upgrade using the same tubes. Though the Lyr 2 is def no slouch.

Not helping lol. I just got into this at the end of the year and jumped straight in with the Teaks, HD650's, Mimby, and Lyr 2...so I really should give the wallet a rest. I've at least got gift cards to cover the monitors.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,039 of 2,168
  Not helping lol. I just got into this at the end of the year and jumped straight in with the Teaks, HD650's, Mimby, and Lyr 2...so I really should give the wallet a rest. I've at least got gift cards to cover the monitors.

Wait until we start pushing the Yggdrasil on you!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back