New Member Introductions thread
Jun 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5,911 of 15,540
Hey y'all! I'm new to quality audio gear and am here to learn as I progress. My current load out is a pair of HD 598SE's, Magni 2 Uber, & Modi 2 Uber. The DAC & amp actually just showed up today. Previously, the cans were just plugged into my Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers. I'm hoping to learn to appreciate the sound achieved by my current setup before upgrading with the advise of the community. I was about to pull the trigger on some HD 700's (my current dream cans), but I don't want to be akin to a 16 y/o driving a Ferrari before learning on something more modest like a Mustang. I'm also on r/headphones and am reading up on there quite a bit.
Welcome, @Soochinator!

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #5,912 of 15,540
Hi

I've worked in film sound editing SFX and dialogue, but I don't do that now. I also DJ.

My favorite gear I own; Xone 92 mixer, K701 cans, HR624s monitors and also this old Keystation Pro 88 because it's sat as my center piece for 15 years and still sends out instructions

posting from Vancouver BC Canada - very sunny and hot today

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #5,913 of 15,540
Yello, used to be an enthusiast in portable, but then i lost it all.
And now im scrapping cheap earbud.

Current setup :
- Unused motorola moto g cdma for transport
- A diy mini usb to micro usb
- Ibasso Dzero mk ii as DAC and Amp
- And fav earbud Monk +, Sabia, Toneking TP 16

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #5,914 of 15,540
Hello, my username is Almostbulletproof (long story) but my real name is Peter. I live in southwest Wisconsin. I have been totally blind since 2004 and would welcome other blind users on this group but all are certainly welcome to reply. I am a fairly entry-level audiophile with a few years of swapping equipment to get to my current setup: Schiit Lyr headphone amp (the original version) with Amperex tubes although I currently have some Mullards on backorder from Tube Depot. My DAC is a Schiit Bifrost Uber Multibit with USB and my cans are HiFiMan Edition X V2's, HiFiMan HE 560's and BeyerDynamic DT-990 Premiums. All three cans have aftermarket cables and it looks like I will end up trying to sell the BD and HE 560 and stick with the new Edition X V2's. I currently have all Pangea powercords and USB cables, also use a Schiit USB Decrapifier but just bought a headphone cable from Charleston Cable Company and absolutely love it so far. I am going to buy some RCA interconnects from Chris at CCC also and eventually try to upgrade my power cords to Charleston too. Unfortunately, Chris doesn't make USB cables anymore so I'm not sure what I will do there. My music is all FLAC and WAV files on a Dell XPS desktop running Windows 8.1, Intel I7 quad core processors running 3.1GHZ with a 500GB solid state hard drive and 3TB optical backup drive and 32GB RAM. I have also installed the JPlay audio player but also have to use Foobar as JPlay does not have a blind accessible interface. The owners at JPlay tell me that everything should still sound just fine with no loss of quality using Foobar with JPlay. My HE 560's have a copper/silver combo cable from Plus Sound Cables that I think was a great match for the HE 560's while the BD DT-990's have a permanently installed Sennheiser cable installed by Jay's Headphone Repair. The Edition X V2's have the Charleston Audiophile UPOCC version. I splurged and got a ten foot long cable so I can walk around my bedroom without tearing the headphones off my big head. I love the Schiit Lyr amp but seem to have this annual (and somewhat anal) problem of wanting to roll the tubes every 12 months which is why I have the Mullards on order from Tube Depot. I would really like to buy some Telefunken E288CC's but haven't been able to find any that I can afford.

My reason for sticking with digital format is due to my blindness, using a CD player or phonograph for transport would mean having to label huge amounts of media with Braille and I just am not willing to do that. Not to mention I would have no idea what tracks are on each album. Besides, I rarely listen to a complete album, usually listen to a couple tracks and then move on to another band.

I welcome your comments, advice and critiques of anything and everything I have in my setup. Please don't ask for photos, I have no idea how to upload photos without sighted help and the only person I have to help with that is a rather impatient 13 year old son to whom I am a single father.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5,915 of 15,540
Hello, I'm still fairly new to the high end audio scene but I am looking to dive deeper down the rabbit hole. My current set up is the K7XX running off an Aune T1 with a usb connection to my desktop rig and foobar2000. I am looking to upgrade my equipment here shortly so we will see what changes in the line up.

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #5,916 of 15,540
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Honestly, I likely won't be overly active. I just thought it'd be prudent to finally make an account to communicate with others on the site. Looking forward to occasionally chit chatting with the forum!

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #5,917 of 15,540
Hello, I'm still fairly new to the high end audio scene but I am looking to dive deeper down the rabbit hole. My current set up is the K7XX running off an Aune T1 with a usb connection to my desktop rig and foobar2000. I am looking to upgrade my equipment here shortly so we will see what changes in the line up.
Welcome, @Octopus! Really sorry about your wallet... ---)

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #5,918 of 15,540
hi - created a new id since the old one did not seem to work in the new forum

1) Which btw, looks great
2) Full Schiit stack
3) Need to unsubscribe from massdrop - asking for trouble really...

posting so I get unlocked for other threads.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #5,921 of 15,540
Hello, all.

I play 5-string electric basses, and I'm currently using universal IEM's (Shure SE425) for stage monitoring. I still have excellent hearing at age 60, and want to keep it that way. I keep my monitor levels lower than most musicians.

We use Sennheiser G3 wireless transmitters and packs, controlling our own mono monitor mixes via a Presonus 32 AI mixer and the QMix UC app.

Isolation isn't a huge deal, as we run pretty close to a silent stage. FOH levels are pretty reasonable, and most of the venues I play have decent subs. Our electric guitarists mic up small tube amps, and get their distorted tones from pedals. Everything else goes direct: e-drums, first and second keys, electric violin, bass and acoustic guitar. We have an ambient room mic rigged, to reduce the sense of isolation.

Our mixes are dense, usually featuring at least one lead vocalist plus 2 or 3 BGV's, so clarity and separation is important.

I've been looking at options for an affordable upgrade to custom IEM's. I welcome any and all advice about what people are finding useful on stage.

I already have nice recording monitors and decent cans for recreational listening, so this purchase is all business: I need to be quick on my feet when the bandleader throws us a curveball. IME, that means a balanced, somewhat mid-forward signature with lots of clarity.

Including sound check, we're generally playing for two to four hours per gig, so a non-fatiguing top end is important.

Bass-wise, I'm confident that I'm sounding nice and fat at FOH. All I expect from IEM's is a tight, punchy picture of my pitch and dynamics, without a bunch of subsonic mud or boosted midbass to mask what the rest fo the band is up to.

Ideally, I'd like to find something livable in a CIEM for $400-500 plus shipping and impressions.

I just started looking, but at the moment the leading contenders seem to be the Alcair Reference triples, Westone AC20/ES20/ES30, 1964 A2e/A2/A3, and Custom Art Music Two or Ei.3.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #5,922 of 15,540
Hi every one, I just join :)

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #5,923 of 15,540
Hello, all.

I play 5-string electric basses, and I'm currently using universal IEM's (Shure SE425) for stage monitoring. I still have excellent hearing at age 60, and want to keep it that way. I keep my monitor levels lower than most musicians.

We use Sennheiser G3 wireless transmitters and packs, controlling our own mono monitor mixes via a Presonus 32 AI mixer and the QMix UC app.

Isolation isn't a huge deal, as we run pretty close to a silent stage. FOH levels are pretty reasonable, and most of the venues I play have decent subs. Our electric guitarists mic up small tube amps, and get their distorted tones from pedals. Everything else goes direct: e-drums, first and second keys, electric violin, bass and acoustic guitar. We have an ambient room mic rigged, to reduce the sense of isolation.

Our mixes are dense, usually featuring at least one lead vocalist plus 2 or 3 BGV's, so clarity and separation is important.

I've been looking at options for an affordable upgrade to custom IEM's. I welcome any and all advice about what people are finding useful on stage.

I already have nice recording monitors and decent cans for recreational listening, so this purchase is all business: I need to be quick on my feet when the bandleader throws us a curveball. IME, that means a balanced, somewhat mid-forward signature with lots of clarity.

Including sound check, we're generally playing for two to four hours per gig, so a non-fatiguing top end is important.

Bass-wise, I'm confident that I'm sounding nice and fat at FOH. All I expect from IEM's is a tight, punchy picture of my pitch and dynamics, without a bunch of subsonic mud or boosted midbass to mask what the rest fo the band is up to.

Ideally, I'd like to find something livable in a CIEM for $400-500 plus shipping and impressions.

I just started looking, but at the moment the leading contenders seem to be the Alcair Reference triples, Westone AC20/ES20/ES30, 1964 A2e/A2/A3, and Custom Art Music Two or Ei.3.
Welcome, Steve! Looks like you are on the right track with the Alcair, Westone, 1964, and Custom Arts. What I would suggest to you is that you create a thread on the Help and Recommendations board (this board) asking for help. You will get much more traffic than you will on this thread, which is mostly for Introductions. That way, you are sure to get the maximum input. Good luck and welcome again!

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #5,924 of 15,540
Hi, first post here!
In a quest to find the best possible audio equipment to play my favorite songs with, I found this forum.
Nice to meet all of you! My wallet isn't really happy with my decision but I'm glad to be here :)

I currently have Soundmagic ES18s, some broken Philips and JBL headphones, a gaming headset and a FiiO E17 (I got it used for a really good deal). Planning to get my Grados and DAP to replace my aging iPod Touch soon!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #5,925 of 15,540
Hi, first post here!
In a quest to find the best possible audio equipment to play my favorite songs with, I found this forum.
Nice to meet all of you! My wallet isn't really happy with my decision but I'm glad to be here :)

I currently have Soundmagic ES18s, some broken Philips and JBL headphones, a gaming headset and a FiiO E17 (I got it used for a really good deal). Planning to get my Grados and DAP to replace my aging iPod Touch soon!
Well welcome and I feel your pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back