Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,131 of 8,051

I placed the paper towel under the foam and it gave me the same effect, at least to my ears. it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference (on or under) since hiding it under is more practical.

EDIT:not sure why this posting so small, Blue Line is PT over foam, Purple Line is PT under foam.

There is a measurable difference, namely a greater reduction in mid bass-mids and bit more HF.

However given there is no protection from the paper crumbling into the driver, I'd be leery long term.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,133 of 8,051

EDIT:not sure why this posting so small, Blue Line is PT over foam, Purple Line is PT under foam.

There is a measurable difference, namely a greater reduction in mid bass-mids and bit more HF.

However given there is no protection from the paper crumbling into the driver, I'd be leery long term.

Very interesting and thanks for taking the time to check it. I think my ears are still in the process of refinement to catch these details. PT is now on top :)
cskippy pretty much nailed the mod from the start. amazing!

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #2,134 of 8,051
@MrTie84 Thanks for the measurements.  Can you show the CSDs of each to see how the paper towel under the foam impacts decay and the "ortho wall"?

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2,136 of 8,051
Thanks, looks like just a personal preference as to which is better.  

If you want to get a consistent baseline for CSDs and measurements may I suggest setting levels so 1kHz is at 90dB and then set the CSDs so the floor is at 54dB or 36dB range.  

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #2,137 of 8,051
  Thanks, looks like just a personal preference as to which is better.  

If you want to get a consistent baseline for CSDs and measurements may I suggest setting levels so 1kHz is at 90dB and then set the CSDs so the floor is at 54dB or 36dB range.  

Thanks for the info, I literally threw a super crappy measurement box together willy nilly and watched like two videos on REWset up, I'm def a noob.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,139 of 8,051
I can tell you mine is an Amazon box with some internal bracing, a CD and 2mm stiff foam from Michaels.  The mic is a MiniDSP UMIK-1.  Comes with it's own calibration file so you just load that in REQ Wizard and you're more or less set.  

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,143 of 8,051

Quote:

Finally arrived yesterday! Ready to start testing :) for now I like them quite a bit but their is some nasal effect on voices that I don't like... I think I did read someone mentioning the same with a way to attenuate it ?

We seem to have a similar taste in headphones, haha

I really like these m1060's, defintiely more bass and overall feel than the 400i, but those still win in vocals.

The purplehearts still destroy in overall low end, but the m1060's are more comfortable and better mids.

the 6xx are neutral and nice, but just an okay in comfort.

Each has there reason to own, but for the price these m1060 cant be beat (well the 6xx are pretty good value too)

I really wish monoprice included a cable like the ads on their site.. this cable sucks... too short, too thin, bad connections sometimes.   They should know better, the m560 cable is better, as are most of the things they sell... regardless, I am getting a new one built right now (balanced to use with the Jot)

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,144 of 8,051
  Review:

http://www.verumsonus.com/monoprice-m1060-review/

Ouch 
eek.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,145 of 8,051

Got my pair in! Honestly, I don't like them much. Bass quantity seems kind of low versus what I was expecting. Less than any LCD I've heard for sure and the bass sounds kind of one-note even out of my KSA-5 Klone. But what stood out to me was just how unnatural these sound. They sound like they have a bit of a peak at 1k but what's more obvious is their peak at around 5k which makes them sound really, really plasticky. Tonality just sounds flat out wrong. I don't really mind the upper mid dip these have but it makes the 5k peak really prominent and ruins the sound for me.

I've mostly been comparing them to my Sennheiser HD580 and I honestly can't find one thing the M1060 does better other than bass extension, which these do in fact do pretty decently.

I took some measurements too; people are telling me to burn them in which I've only seen a measurable difference for once but I'll run them through the weekend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

HD650 FR measurement in my rig:

I thought I recalled seeing that frequency response graph.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back