Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,101 of 8,051
IMO, I would suggest putting the foam back and napkin on top so the driver has some room to breathe.  It will also help with some rear reflections.  

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,102 of 8,051
  ... foam back and napkin on top ......

I tried this right off the bat, but the upper mid nasal effect didn't seem to be affected much, at least to my ears.  So far the only thing to tame it for me has been: no foam, then air, then the napkin directly against the inside of the grill (held there between the wood and the grill). Stock pads, btw.

http://imgur.com/sZ5n91l

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #2,103 of 8,051
Try matching the size from the pic I posted.  Paper towel MIGHT have a slightly different effect as well.  Also, could just not be to your tastes...that's the great thing about modding...make it your own!

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,104 of 8,051
  Try matching the size from the pic I posted.  Paper towel MIGHT have a slightly different effect as well.  Also, could just not be to your tastes...that's the great thing about modding...make it your own!

I used paper towel, exactly the same size as the one you posted last week.  I heard a subtle difference, but it was not as much of a change as I was hoping for.  No doubt that it's all so subjective.  I'm just glad I've found something that works for me.  

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #2,105 of 8,051
I am listening to mine with the foam out right now. It takes a little away from the bass impact, but sounds really good to me. Some songs with heavy bass frequencies sometimes have a muffle and it seems the foam out fixes the muffle and makes it a little tighter. The highs are not too fatiguing either. I think I'll keep it like this to see what I think tomorrow.

Man I wanna hear these balanced!!

Anyone else try this? Thoughts?

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #2,106 of 8,051
  Zeos pulled the foam from his.  I tried it on on mine hoping that it would somehow tame the upper mid "honking", nasal sound. It didn't really fix that issue, but everything above about 1khz suddenly seemed raised by a few dB. Then I added some round napkin cutouts (still without the foam) just beneath the grill and suddenly the mids sounded perfect. I think it lost a tiny bit of bass impact, but there is still plenty of bass/sub bass. Gonna try this for awhile and see if the mod is a keeper, but I'm liking it a lot so far.

Did Zeos review the M1060 ?

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #2,108 of 8,051
Not yet. He showed his pair in the video I posted. They had no foam in them...So I thought....Huh might as well try it. And I like it.

I saw something MORE interesting in his video......

My Stax on his desk for review =)

Hurry the screw up, Zeos!

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #2,110 of 8,051

​Really? nice. is that the L700?

Yep!

And actually, I hope he doesn't rush it. I expect to be entertained! *shakes a stick threateningly*

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,112 of 8,051
Made the worlds most ghetto measuring rig last night so grain of salt.

Was curious to see how my damping looked versus Cskippy's.

Interesting aside here is measurement for Pre fazor LCD3, different rig and scale but the general shape, ortho wall "ringing", and a HF are quite telling.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,113 of 8,051
Doesn't seem to exist any complete balanced cables (4 pin XLR in my case) to buy for these (MMCX). I've looked but no success. Kinda strange that Monoprice doesn't even offer this. They would make a good buck on it I reckon.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #2,114 of 8,051
There's plenty of cheap balanced MMCX cables available and for $30 you can get a balanced trrs to xlr 4-pin adapter.....

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,115 of 8,051
  It will give you a slight idea of the effect but it's important that the paper towel is inside the grill so that the grill's effect is taken out of the equation.  If you place it on top, you're still getting the effect of the grill before the paper towel, make sense?  Taking off the grills is easy peazy just make sure you use the right screwdriver.

You are right ! the paper towel lifted it just enough to take away the veggie pads darkness. I experimented with placing the paper towel on the foam or under it and It did not make much difference to my ears, so I kept it under the foam for aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back