Is it possible to plug in a female 4-pin mini XLR connector into a male 3-pin mini XLR connector?
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Meetite

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am building myself a custom cable which combines a microphone input and headphone output into one cable and want to use 4-pin mini XLR for part of it and to do so I need to be sure that I can plug a female 4-pin mini XLR connector into a male 3-pin mini XLR connector. Does anybody know if this is possible? Whether or not I can do it will heavily dictate how I build this cable.
Thanks!

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't know anything about the mini connectors, but with regular XLR connectors, it's completely impossible!
Yeah, I work on the stage crew for my local high school and we have a few pieces of equipment that use 4 pin XLR instead of 3 pin, which was always a pain in the butt, but the only thing we have with mini XLR are our foot mics, which all use 3 pin, which after looking at pictures looked close enough to 4 pin that it got me wondering.
The pins will not line up. This document is for mini XLR connectors: http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/TA_FX_SERIES_CD.PDF
Aw man, that sucks. Well, thanks for the information anyways though, because now I know how I can build this cable. Thanks :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back