High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #901 of 4,183
@ironpeg How do you think about copper-plated plug? Previously, I've assumed that the more conductivity the more transparent sound (in a good way). After I read your impression of MK5 + copper-plated, it seems I should change my mind. Do you think the occurrence of harsh sound comes from copper-plated plug? Normally pure copper wires has never produce harsh treble but mostly find in pure silver wires. Does ZEUS UEX use copper-plated plug?

Nowadays there are copper-plated, gold-plated, rhodium-plated, platinum-plated. Also Terrium Copper 2-pin connector that always find in some High-End cables. Which metal-plated do you like?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #902 of 4,183
@ironpeg How do you think about copper-plated plug? Previously, I've assumed that the more conductivity the more transparent sound (in a good way). After I read your impression of MK5 + copper-plated, it seems I should change my mind. Do you think the occurrence of harsh sound comes from copper-plated? Nowadays there are copper-plated, gold-plated, rhodium-plated, platinum-plated. Also Terrium Copper 2-pin connector that always find in some High-End cables. Which metal-plated do you like? Does ZEUS UEX use copper-plated plug?

I believe that rather than plating, priority should be given to the metal used in the core of the plug. I've tried oyaide's gold/rhodium/platinum plated plugs, and all of them sound inferior in both bass impact and depth presentation compared to Furutech's copper core plugs.

But, personally, if I has to choose, I would go for Oyaide's standard gold plating for I felt that it gives the best sonic characteristics out of all the plugs. The earlier rhodium sounds slightly worse, and the new platinum plug is a joke which loses both resolution and depth, and the only thing going for it is its price and 'wow' factor.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #903 of 4,183
@Rei87 How many percentage do you think that plug has effect to sound quality? I've never done A/B test (only plug change) with other same environments.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #904 of 4,183
@ironpeg How do you think about copper-plated plug? Previously, I've assumed that the more conductivity the more transparent sound (in a good way). After I read your impression of MK5 + copper-plated, it seems I should change my mind. Do you think the occurrence of harsh sound comes from copper-plated plug? Normally pure copper wires has never produce harsh treble but mostly find in pure silver wires. Does ZEUS UEX use copper-plated plug?

Nowadays there are copper-plated, gold-plated, rhodium-plated, platinum-plated. Also Terrium Copper 2-pin connector that always find in some High-End cables. Which metal-plated do you like?

TBH, I think MK5's treble is harsh because of the tuning not the copper plug. However, it seems to me that the copper plugs really helps bass impact.
Zeus UEX doesn't come with in house copper plug. But for some reason, its treble is more pleasant to listen than MK5.

Overall, I'd pick MK5 rather than UEX.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #905 of 4,183
@Rei87 How many percentage do you think that plug has effect to sound quality? I've never done A/B test (only plug change) with other same environments.

I can't give an exact percentage, but I feel that its one of those things that will start to make a difference only after you have already completed the rest of your chain. Then again, if I take a stab in the dark and put a ballpark percentage to it, I feel that it can make anywhere from 10-15% difference. But, this is only if your gear is sensitive enough to pick up those nuances to begin with.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #906 of 4,183
I have a yy pro audio Tucana cable, and I have oxydation on the cable. Is it normal ? I don't understand how it can happen on a cable of that price

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #907 of 4,183
I have a yy pro audio Tucana cable, and I have oxydation on the cable. Is it normal ? I don't understand how it can happen on a cable of that price
It happens. Maybe they should have wrapped the cable in something dark.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #908 of 4,183
I think oxidation happens to a lot of copper cables, but yeah, Tucana ain't exactly cheap ($550 retail). As far as I know it doesn't influence the sq, but the greenish parts often don't look that pretty :pensive:
My (few months old, 8-braid) Tucana has a sleeve up to the splitter to avoid this => so far so good...
20170614_170002.jpg

Maybe the guys at YY Pro Audio can help you.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #909 of 4,183
I still haven't tried this out on the U12 yet, but I sure rocked out to this pairing all day at work. The plusSound X-Series GPC Litz adds the fullness and just that touch of warmth Encore lacked with my usual small gauge SPC Litz. I absolutely loved what I was hearing. One of the finest listening experiences I've had.

plusSound X-Series 01.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #910 of 4,183
I still haven't tried this out on the U12 yet, but I sure rocked out to this pairing all day at work. The plusSound X-Series GPC Litz adds the fullness and just that touch of warmth Encore lacked with my usual small gauge SPC Litz. I absolutely loved what I was hearing. One of the finest listening experiences I've had.

Comparing this to the ref8? Does this match more?

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #911 of 4,183
I see some Audio Cable brands like Brimar, Toxic,... advertise that the purity of silver used for their cables is 7N. But another famous brand, Double Helix cables keep insisting that 6N silver is the highest purity in the world with reliable evidences from Acrotec. I am quite confused and dont know who to trust. Does anyone have the most reliable evidences about the purity of silver, which indicates that 6N, 7N or 8N does exist or not?
Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2017-06-14 lúc 22.24.14.png Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2017-06-14 lúc 23.15.26.png Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2017-06-15 lúc 00.33.08.png

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #912 of 4,183
I see some Audio Cable brands like Brimar, Toxic,... advertise that the purity of silver used for their cables is 7N. But another famous brand, Double Helix cables keep insisting that 6N silver is the highest purity in the world with reliable evidences from Acrotec. I am quite confused and dont know who to trust. Does anyone have the most reliable evidences about the purity of silver, which indicates that 6N, 7N or 8N does exist or not?
I really like DHC.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #913 of 4,183

I just checked their website. GPC already becomes Litz. I remember that last year GPC of Plussound is not Litz. Good News.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #914 of 4,183
Yep, plusSound just released an update to their GPC.

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #915 of 4,183
I keep wondering if the balanced out on my AK70 will be worth using or not, there are so many contrasting reports on its performance.

Sometimes I wish I had stuck with Sony. The WM1A/Z seems to have done the balanced out really well and the battery life is so nice to have. My AK70 can do up to 10 hours and I am constantly charging, whereas my little bitty A15 can keep going for 2 or 3 hours even when it is indicating the battery is empty. The WM1A/Z also has something like 30+ hours and is really convenient while on 12 hour journeys like I did last week. :wink:

The BAL out of the AK70 is considerably warmer than the SE output. It's more full bodied, treble is less prominent, and it has a more laidback presentation. The SE output has a more energetic and sparkly treble, and a thumpier and tighter bass. This gives the SE output more clarity, transparency, fun, and engagement. The BAL out though has a slightly larger soundstage, more depth, and better L/R separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back