[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,757 of 1,845
drive by X3 Gen I (or sansa Clip+) and PA2V2
now usually use Denon C710, IM70, RHA M750 & V Moda M80

wanna buy an over ear, tried M100 but the bass a little bit too heavy and I also wana try something with wider soundstage
somehow found this thread and DT770 seems to be a good option but no where in HK can find demo.

mainly outdoor use and seems 32ohm with short straight cable and soft skin earpad is better but, is it lower ohm always with worse sound?
but the 3m cable and velour pad of 80 ohm maybe not really a good option for outdoor use, long and looks hot?
is the sonic difference between 32 and 80 ohm that big? how about comparing the 770 pro 32 ohm with M100?
can the PA2V2 amp the 80 ohm well?

so many question,
Thanks

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,759 of 1,845
Hi there,

Really torn between 880 and 990.

I've found the 990 Pro for $140 and 880 for $190. I understand there are no better or worse, they are just different, but are they just that different? Almost going for the 990, seems a nice bang for buck :D 

Also: Planning to use these on a 1mV@100ohm Digital Piano, would it be best to go for the 250? 

Kind regards,

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,760 of 1,845
The 990's are more fun for casual listening, with a larger soundstage and probably more bass, but they require equalization, IMO. The midrange is too recessed, but they are very enjoyable once EQ'd (I have the 990/600). The 880's will give you flatter freq response with a smaller soundstage. Since you may not be able to use EQ on the piano, the 880's could be more practical

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,761 of 1,845
Hello. I've already searched and read reviews for Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 Pro but I couldn't find anything on the DT 770 80 Pro Limited Edition. What's the difference between the two? Any changes in sound and build?

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,762 of 1,845
  PART 3 - AMPING THE HEADPHONES

UPDATED ON 12/17/2011

This section will be just about amping the headphones properly. I will give specifics on what you should use to power them and what not to use.

[size=18pt]32Ohm Models[/size]

Despite their low Ohm rating, the 32Ohm variants actually will need a little more power than what the 250Ohm require. The reason they need a bit more juice is because of their sensitivity and impedance. They have both a really low impedance and a lower sensitivity rating, thus they will need more power. Take the K701/K702 for example: despite it's low impedance (62Ohms I beleive), they have a very low sensitivity. The more sensitive a headphone is the easier they will be to power and reach a desired volume. The DT770/32 have a impedance of 32Ohms and a sensitivity rating of 101dB. This makes than a bit more difficult tog et to the desired volume and power properly. I believe they require a nice voltage swing as well as more current than most 32Ohm headphones.

[size=18pt]250Ohm Models[/size]

Now despite these having a higher Ohm rating than the previous model, it is in fact a bit easier to amp. This time the impedance works in it's favor and widen the gap between the impedance and sensitivity. I am not sure of the exact specifics but I know now that the higher impedance coupled with the sensitivity now makes these crave more voltage than current.

For these you could use a nice solid state amp but it would have to have a higher voltage swing than normal. Really anything that can swing about 20V P-2-P should drive them jsut fine, but an even higher voltage swing do do them more justice. For the higher voltage swing I could recommend a nice OTL tube amp. You could use the: Woo Audio 3, CSP2+, Darkvoice 336, and the Bottlehead Crack amps. There are probably many more out there that would do ust fine, but these are ones I ahve either heard or own.

I also found that my X-CANV8P could drive the 250Ohm models very nicely. Not quite up to par with a fully fledged OTL amp but darned good.

DT880 32 ohm vs 250 ohm

Your post has confused me quite a bit. I plan on using the headphones primarily through a laptop headphone output so thought the 32ohm was the one to go for. I have tried the 32ohm and my laptop gave them plenty of juice allowing them to get louder than needed.There's quite a noise floor in this scenario.  I did find my android phone (LG G4) struggled to get them up to the desired volume level however. Beyers site recommends the 32ohm for portable devices and I assume this includes laptops although it's a bit of a grey area. Most people seem to say the 250 and 600 sound better than the 32 ohm yet some reviews I read here say that the 32 has more in common with the 600 ohm (which seem to be considered the best model available if you can drive them). Please could you offer advice on whether I should get the 32ohm or 250ohm for mostly laptop use (and sometimes external soundcard use)

Thanks,
Pete

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #1,763 of 1,845

DT880 32 ohm vs 250 ohm

Your post has confused me quite a bit. I plan on using the headphones primarily through a laptop headphone output so thought the 32ohm was the one to go for. I have tried the 32ohm and my laptop gave them plenty of juice allowing them to get louder than needed.There's quite a noise floor in this scenario.  I did find my android phone (LG G4) struggled to get them up to the desired volume level however. Beyers site recommends the 32ohm for portable devices and I assume this includes laptops although it's a bit of a grey area. Most people seem to say the 250 and 600 sound better than the 32 ohm yet some reviews I read here say that the 32 has more in common with the 600 ohm (which seem to be considered the best model available if you can drive them). Please could you offer advice on whether I should get the 32ohm or 250ohm for mostly laptop use (and sometimes external soundcard use)

Thanks,
Pete

I do not recommend the 250 ohms for laptop use. It WILL not be able to drive them sufficiently which will primarily lead to poor peak response in bass and treble.
In theory, the 250 ohm should be better when properly amped, because it will do a better job of keeping unwanted buzzing and humming to a minimum. But you should not be able to hear any buzzing in the 32ohm either - unless your music source is horrible! (which laptops sometimes are!).
Also, in addition to the difference in noise floor, the 250 ohm and 32 ohm are slightly different in the mechanical nature in the headphones, which will lead to some further changes in sound characteristics. That is why the 32 ohm can resemble the 600 ohm in sound signature more than the 250 ohm.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #1,765 of 1,845
Thinknig about getting the 770's do yall think those can be a end game headphone that i can use forever? or is it gonig to get tiresome due to lacking something? seems like it has everything. v shape. what else would i want to change to?

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,766 of 1,845
Well... endgame is highly dependent on how much you're willing to spend or how itchy you get to try new toys...

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,767 of 1,845
hi, I wanted a headset to watch netflix, apple and listening music, was looking for something with sound "V" with low and high pronounced and slightly recessed midrange, so as to have a large soundstage and emphasis of the sound.
They already oppo pm-3 but are boring. the choice was between:
MDR-1a
DT990 250 ohm
DT770 16-32-80 ohms
akg k550
bose soundtrue
I finally chose for the event, clicking "buy on amazon" the 16 ohm DT770 .... I fear I have fate nonsense! what do you think?

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,769 of 1,845

DT880 32 ohm vs 250 ohm

Thanks,
Pete

I don't know which you went with, but i use 32,80, and 250 ohm variants. For 32 ohm i use something like a dragonfly (mine is xtrempro x1 with sabre 9023 chip) with PC, and they work better than directly from laptop, as it cleans up system noise and gives it a little juice. The 32 ohm i speak of is 440.660/32.
770.80 I run off a Samsung tablet to a portable amp, and this on pc is no good, and the little tube amp doesn't give it enough damping so it will pick up more noise than 250. I think 600s will give least noise.
With 250 off PC, i go from the usb dac to a little tube amp (bravo ocean) and get no system noise pickup. Its clean and works perfectly. Without the usb dac/preamp, i get noise through tube amp past 9 o'clock. With usb dac/pre/amp no noise pick up until 1 o'clock, and thats high gain on those little bravos.
I would upgrade but the little bravo works well for my 250s (880.250/990.250).
Have you made a decision?

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,770 of 1,845
  Amazing guide. Thanks!

Will a Asus Xonar DX sound card be enough to drive the DT770 250 Ohm?

Thanks in advance!

Hi.
On my PC I use the DT770 250 with an Asus Xonar DX. What I can say is that despite it is listenable at 70-90% volume, it is not enough to drive them to full potential. You will definitely miss volume power and you'll find that it is not enough energy to separate frequencies. For that I use a FiiO A5 amp (on Hi gain) and it brings joy to my ears and soul. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back