Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #242 of 597
SPC Cable... @DavidA soldered it to the female SMC jacks for me. I added the black heat shrink.
oh, ok. I was looking at building a cable with Mogami W2534, but I'm still looking at other options. I wouldn't mind getting some spc cable at a cheap price. I'd be interested to hear what others are using and where to get it. :sunglasses:

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #243 of 597
oh, ok. I was looking at building a cable with Mogami W2534, but I'm still looking at other options. I wouldn't mind getting some spc cable at a cheap price. I'd be interested to hear what others are using and where to get it. :sunglasses:
One of the better ones I've used is from Luna Shops, comes already braided so its not as much work unless you want to sleeve it. I don't see the listing for the all SPC version anymore but it was similar to this: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5355

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #244 of 597
One of the better ones I've used is from Luna Shops, comes already braided so its not as much work unless you want to sleeve it. I don't see the listing for the all SPC version anymore but it was similar to this: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5355

Nice find! Looks like I'll do some more looking around in this shop, cool stuff! :thumbsup:

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #248 of 597
Just got a pair of the 3D printed cups from @Harry Manback , I'll do some finishing on them before putting in the second set of Red V2 drivers that I have.
3D Printed cups.jpg
@wormsdriver , I'll ask @fleasbaby to send you the "Scarlet" after he has listened to them.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #249 of 597
Just got a pair of the 3D printed cups from @Harry Manback , I'll do some finishing on them before putting in the second set of Red V2 drivers that I have.

@wormsdriver , I'll ask @fleasbaby to send you the "Scarlet" after he has listened to them.
Looking forward to seeing the final build and hearing what you think of their sound! Please post some 'in-process finishing' pics as well.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #250 of 597
Compared my Nhoord Red v2 build with the HD800, HD800S, and a very old pair of HD580 over the weekend via a Benchmark DAC3. I have always enjoyed my friend's HD800s and consider them one of the best sounding headphones (super comfortable) along with the LCD-4 and LCD-XC (too bad they are so pricey, heavy, sweaty, and so uncomfortable to wear!).

I am pleased to report that the Reds easily held their own against the HD800s. To me the only areas that the HD800s seemed to outshine the Reds were slightly on voices (clearer upper mid-range) and with instrument details (better separation and timbre)... but not dramatically so. Where my Nhoord build really kicked ass was in long-term comfort and the bass! The bass for some reason seems better to me and the comfort is out of this world as the Reds are even lighter than the HD800s and much, much cooler (especially here in the tropics). Also, as much as I like the HD800 I find them a little fatiguing (maybe high treble and too much detail for me)... so far I am not experiencing that problem with my new Nhoords (keeping my fingers crossed).

I have been wearing my Nhoord Red v2 build now for up to to ten hours per day and I am extremely pleased with their lively engaging sound, coolness, and feel... although with featherweight specs they stay nicely put on my head with no uncomfortable clamping.

Side Note: I carefully compared my DragonFlag Black again with the Benchmark DAC3 using my Nhoords (and the HD800s, though with the volume cranked up on the DragonFly) listening to various parts from Sir Rattle's Mahler's Symphony No. 2 (Resurrection)... no matter how hard I tried I absolutely could not discern a difference between these two amps/dacs.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #251 of 597
Voices on the HD800S are about the only thing I like about it better than the HD800, but to me comfort with either is great but like you I've found that the Nhoord or Ypsilon with G pads are so light and the ear pads breaths so well that even for me in Hawaii close to the beach they are comfortable for very long listening sessions. Another thing is I use a BH Crack for the HD800 so the highs are smooth and never harsh or fatiguing to me. One area where the Nhoord or Ypsilon fall behind both the HD800/S is in sound stage width and depth, its their biggest strength over most other headphones but can also be bad depending on the recording since some vocals start to sound weird with such a wide sound stage at times, this is one area the Nhoord and Ypsilon beats both the HD800/S with some recording to me.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #252 of 597
Oh

my

gosh.

First chance to listen to the Nhoord Scarlett. These sound fantastic! The cups and build are beautiful too. I may shed a tear when I have to ship these to @fleasbaby.

I think more vent holes are open. Does anyone else know what other changes were made? Whatever they are, Grado should be worried.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #253 of 597
Oh

my

gosh.

First chance to listen to the Nhoord Scarlett. These sound fantastic! The cups and build are beautiful too. I may shed a tear when I have to ship these to @fleasbaby.

I think more vent holes are open. Does anyone else know what other changes were made? Whatever they are, Grado should be worried.
I haven't heard any of the Nhoord drivers (yet), but judging by the Ypsilon R1, I agree with you and feel Grado needs to step it up!

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #254 of 597
Oh

my

gosh.

The Scarlet has 2 additional vent holes opened and a whole bunch of dynamat on the housing and on the back of the magnet. Jaco also included some dynamat to line the walls of the cups:
Red-V2 - Prototype-3.jpg
The Scarlet is on the left, Red V2 on the right
Nhoord-Scarlet-2.jpg
A little better picture of the scarlet, cups are from Rholuplat, rosewood

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #255 of 597

Have used mogami, it was pretty stiff if left in the sleeving. I try to use grado cables when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back