Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Apr 3, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #197 of 597
  SennGrados are not in the same league as the Ypsilon and Nhoord.  I've tried 5 different PX-100ii drivers in a variety of different wood cups and out of the 5 only 1 of the driver pairs I would consider are pretty good but as @Konstantin690 noted to me they do get distorted if played at anything over a moderate listening level, and like most who have tried the Ypsilon & Nhoord I wouldn't go back to the PX-100ii driver.

Nhoord's are easier to drive and for some the V / U shaped sound signature is nice but the Ypsilon is better balanced from high to low, cleaner and more detailed IMO.

The dynamat increases the mass of the cups to reduce the resonance as you noted which really helps in cleaning up the bass and makes it less one note, also gives the impression of a bit more extension since it lowers the mid-bass bloom to me.  In addition I like the EZ G pads which gives a slight increase in sound stage and helps to enhance the little sub-bass that is there.

The sorbothane on the back of the driver cleans up the overall sound, not just the bass, had to do some trial and error to find that I liked the effect of the 50 duro better than the 70 duro, both 3/16" thick and cut in to smaller squared after installing a single square on the back of the magnet, got this idea from the Stax and HE-400 threads.

How do the Nhoord Red Drivers sound? I just bit on a pair, doing some research before I close on them 

Read through this entire thread and figured it out for my self! Sounds like I made the right choice grabbing @DavidA
Nhoord Original Build! I need something efficient with a warmer forgiving sound, for my 3DS an amount other things. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #201 of 597
  Hey Nhoord builders! Do your builds have the drivers flush with the top of the cups or do they protrude?

The original Nhoord build that I did have the drivers about 0.5-1mm protruding while the second build with the ver2 drivers I did mod the cups so the drivers seat flush

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #203 of 597
@fleasbaby, do you know if the nhoord reds will fit in the maple cups you made for me? Standard sr125i fit with no rings or spacers.

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #205 of 597
Got my red v2 drivers. They look like the doping material was applied unevenly. Anyone else seen this?

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #207 of 597
Got mine in the cups. Color me impressed.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #210 of 597
I need to address the grills first. What do you guys normally use for that? Having a hard time finding materisls for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back