Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4,081 of 20,624
I've had such bad luck buying stuff and it being faulty, I remember going into tesco and buying a bin,went to pick the bin at the front paused and thought which one would I not of picked so I went for the one around the back,got it home and after a day the lid failed to open, my luck must be finally changing as my focal utopias work perfectly,ordered mine September and got it on the 22nd of Dec 2016

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #4,082 of 20,624
I can't speak for the Susvara in London CanJam as I don't know what it was driven by but from the little experience I've had with the Susvara (3 times in the past 3 months - 2x at shows, 1x Hifiman office), as mentioned in the Susvara thread I believe it's particularly sensitive to what's driving it. If the amp isn't powerful enough to drive the Susvara it can sound very underwhelming. In my correspondence with some folks, even something like the EC Balancing Act wouldn't do it justice as such at least in the shows in Tokyo the Susvara was driven by the EF1000. Often one would read about trying to have the Susvara driven off by a speaker amp taps via the HE-Adapter.

Having clarified that point, assume the Susvara is being driven "properly", personally I find the Susvara and Utopia to be rather different and can't say whether one is better than the other technically - however tonally their signatures are different and that'll be up to the listener's personal preference. I actually feel the Susvara to sound more on the wholesome warm side of the fence whilst the Utopia to be more tonally balance. I didn't find the Susvara to sound bright nor thin (which was what lead me to think if it was the amp used in CanJam, but again, I wasn't there).

I don't have the Susvara but I've had the Utopia since Dec '16 and in my little public and private Susvara demo sessions, from the tonal signature perspective I think they both compliment each other. It's more the technical qualities that I'm more curious about the Susvara vs the Utopia.

I can't remember the exact model but interestingly it was an Hifiman amp. You would think their own amp should be up to the job. Wouldn't you?, however if it is not then whoever is responsible for organising the choice of equipment to showcase their flagship product at the show really ought to be testing it first at such an important event.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,083 of 20,624
It's mad how friends and family come to my house and we sit down and chat then they go,not knowing that they have been in the same room with the best headphones in the world,they just not interested it's fantastic!!!Wish I was like that I would be loaded now!!!

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #4,084 of 20,624
I can't remember the exact model but interestingly it was an Hifiman amp. You would think their own amp should be up to the job. Wouldn't you?, however if it is not then whoever is responsible for organising the choice of equipment to showcase their flagship product at the show really ought to be testing it first at such an important event.

It is ok, we understand you were not satisfied. Time to get a Utopia now :D

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,086 of 20,624
I don't let anyone near my precious lol. My Utopia is safely tucked away in my man cave with my Dave always ready to take me on a trip to my happy place. Audio heaven!
Wish I had the Dave I really do,I ain't getting in debt to get one though at the moment so it's just a pipe dream like my 911 GT3,I'll just have to stick with my 2 Qute and my fiat 500 convertible with a spoiler on the back

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4,087 of 20,624
Finally caved after getting a good deal on a Utopia. Listening to them for the first time as I write this. Here's my experience:

:thinking::thumbsup::heavy_dollar_sign::package::headphones::ear::ear::astonished::joy::metal::metal::heart:

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,088 of 20,624
Finally caved after getting a good deal on a Utopia. Listening to them for the first time as I write this. Here's my experience:

:thinking::thumbsup::heavy_dollar_sign::package::headphones::ear::ear::astonished::joy::metal::metal::heart:

So it goes like this:

Huh? How much?
Oh Well.
Sent in the dough(retirement )
Phone arrives
Hear
Hear
OMG
Happy Cry
Oh Yeh
Oh Yeh
Love Your UTOPIA !!!!!!!!!

Sounds about right ?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #4,089 of 20,624
So it goes like this:

Huh? How much?
Oh Well.
Sent in the dough(retirement )
Phone arrives
Hear
Hear
OMG
Happy Cry
Oh Yeh
Oh Yeh
Love Your UTOPIA !!!!!!!!!

Sounds about right ?

Yes. :grinning:

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,091 of 20,624
As an early owner of the Elears, I was well aware of the 1970's vacuum cleaner cord that would come with the Utopia. Still, it's pretty mind-boggling that they didn't also include a lighter, more manageable cable. Just listening to it for a few hours last night I had to adjust the cable multi times so it wasn't dragging the 'phones down.

So for me if anything, replacing the cable with something more lightweight and comfortable is top priority. Balanced would also be a gimme, unless I wanted to use the Utopia with portable gear, which I don't.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #4,092 of 20,624
I've got a 3rd party cable for my Utopia first and foremost for manageability. For my kind of use, the amp/source is within arm's reach so a long cable is somewhat cumbersome for me. Since I was getting a 3rd party shorter cable, no harm in just getting a good one which will help maximise the capabilities of the headphone too; and as such ended up with a somewhat more premium cable by Brise Audio.

Although I don't think changing the stock cable is a must, I personally do feel that a more manageable cable does entice me to use my headphone more. Naturally though at the end of the day, each to their own.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4,093 of 20,624
Although I don't think changing the stock cable is a must, I personally do feel that a more manageable cable does entice me to use my headphone more. Naturally though at the end of the day, each to their own.

I totally agree with this. I personally found that cables using Copper as the materials would sound very similar to the stock cables and the differences are negligible, hence I stuck with the stock cables for a while, but with the "length", I could hang my neck many times over with it and still have length left....I couldn't stand the idea of chopping my stock cables in halves or different pieces. So I now have adopted the style of Hybrid cables for it. Primarily was for the practicality and using my Utopia more.

Though, I gotta say that Copper and Silver plated hybrid is pretty good with Utopia, and I still crave for my Silver-gold Alloy cables

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4,094 of 20,624
One thing changing the stock cable will allow is to go balanced. This was the main reason I went with an all copper Axios 1.2m to use with my WM1Z walkman. I tried the Axios copper/silver hybrid - and did not like it.
I am also using a 5m Axios copper terminated XLR to use with the Moon 430 amp which is integrated into my two channel system.

I personally find the Axios cables to provide a nice lift to the stock cable - although the stock is quite good. The Axios are also impeccably made, flexible, and relatively light weight compared to stock.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #4,095 of 20,624
One thing changing the stock cable will allow is to go balanced. This was the main reason I went with an all copper Axios 1.2m to use with my WM1Z walkman. I tried the Axios copper/silver hybrid - and did not like it.
I am also using a 5m Axios copper terminated XLR to use with the Moon 430 amp which is integrated into my two channel system.

I personally find the Axios cables to provide a nice lift to the stock cable - although the stock is quite good. The Axios are also impeccably made, flexible, and relatively light weight compared to stock.

Yes, I did use stock cables as balanced too ! Lol. Anyways, I don't know about Kimber Axios Copper/Silver Hybrid. I am talking about the Hybrid from Sony Z1R stock configuration. I posted about it somewhere a few times before. I love this configuration from Sony!

Both Utopia and Z1R has something in the treble regions that can easily be affected by cables materials that I found Z1R (lower trebles) and Utopia (Upper mid trebles extensions). Though using Sony configurations but with upgraded materials UPOCC and braiding styles, both Utopia and Z1R improved. Beside that, I found Silver-gold Alloy to be the best cables for Utopia as well.....however, it was too expensive to even try out on Z1R.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back