Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,672 of 2,974
Glad someone linked there is a P2. I'm sticking with P1. It does what I want/need right now and it's almost brand new (less than 1 yr since I got it). Maybe in a couple years it might be time to upgrade. Is it me or does the P1 look more compact and pocket friendly? Maybe the knobs are cool/functional. I'm not sure I like the angles. One thing about A&K I didn't like was the weird angular design (I'm sure tons of ppl love it but whatever). One of the things I didn't like about the new Sony DAP is that it is extremely heavy. I don't mind a bit of weight but I guess P1 does it for me. Approximately the right cross section of features. For the ultimate high end I have a really good desktop headphone setup. Portable needs to be uhm... portable.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,673 of 2,974
  One of my all-time favourite dac chips. My main rig DAC,  Naim DAC with outboard power supply, uses a brace of the PCM1704UK chips (I believe they're double crown, ie matched and with a very high specification tolerance). One of the few bits of stereo I won't be replacing for an awful long time. For an interesting read on the differences between R2R and delta-sigma chips (such as the ESS Sabre 90218) this article is fascinating, particularly the last third where the technical differences are explained. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue65/dac.htm

regards,

Giles

That was a very good read, thank you for posting it! 

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,674 of 2,974
And one could hope for a nice drop in price for the P1 ... ?? Yes please! Or at least an increase in not so old second hand ones being up for sale. Benefits for NOT going for the latest and greatest ... :)

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,676 of 2,974
I caved in and bought one this week - I am loving it already!! It drives my HD600 brilliantly as well as my iems, works as a great DAC from my computer and I am really impressed with being able to use EQ when feeding an external DAC via TOSLINK :)

Count me as a very happy owner, I am VERY impressed!!

I am onto battery testing now, quick question for you guys - does it drain the battery when I am using it as a USB DAC?

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,678 of 2,974
Got the P1 a week back and immediately retired my AK300. This P1 is sublime. Wish I had bought it sooner. Now I hear there's a P2....groan...!!
Yeah P2 coming out soon, very soon. Got to sell my P1 to make room for the P2.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #2,679 of 2,974
Got the P1 a week back and immediately retired my AK300. This P1 is sublime. Wish I had bought it sooner. Now I hear there's a P2....groan...!!

Don't worry...the latest ain't always the greatest (dap)
biggrin.gif

P1 is still one of the best daps out there imo!

If I were you I would stick to the P1 in the meantime, so you can A-B test them before you decide which one to keep.
When I saw that P2 doesn't have extra data (more gb inside or an extra slot) availabe and that it has the volume knob on top which will be facing downwards using it in a pocket, I simply immediately lost interest...and now that high (compared to P1) pricetag...sigh
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #2,680 of 2,974
Don't worry...the latest ain't always the greatest (dap) :D
P1 is still one of the best daps out there imo!

If I were you I would stick to the P1 in the meantime, so you can A-B test them before you decide which one to keep.
When I saw that P2 doesn't have extra data (more gb inside or an extra slot) availabe and that it has the volume knob on top which will be facing downwards using it in a pocket, I simply immediately lost interest...and now that high (compared to P1) pricetag...sigh :xf_eek:
True but I also have the Plenue M.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,682 of 2,974
Considering that hardly no-one her has listened to a PM2, it would be hard to suggest it yet. Given the price difference, the little we know, if you need to buy now, I would not recommend the PM2. 

I would not recommend it in general. In my opinion, since the PM1 was released, the model upgrades COWAN did were more designed for spec suckers than anything else. There is no real world value provided imo.

But thats just me.

Frank

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,685 of 2,974

There is Cowon Plenue S - very expensive btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back