Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 19, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #17,086 of 19,143
Speaking of speakers...

Anyone here have experience with Rectilinear III Highboys and/or Lowboys?

Im looking to do my den in full on retro furnishings and want the sound to match.I think im preferring the East Coast sound and these speakers often come up.

Thoughts?

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #17,087 of 19,143
  Have restored several Marantz and Sansui receivers.  I currently use a Sansui 2000X as my "speaker amp".  People say it sounds like a tube amp, but I can't say because I've never heard a tube amp.
wink.gif
  At any rate, all that was available back then was analog and these designers knew what they were doing.  Once they have been properly restored (which by the way is both easy and fun), they are a very nice compliment to the best digital source equipment out today.

Sorry for digging this 3 year old post up from the grave, but I'm curious where I can learn how to restore stuff like this.  I used to have a big Pioneer SX-something receiver with fluoroscan meters that I dearly miss.  But I was thinking that buying old gear and spiffing them up would be a hoot.  Does it take an EE degree or years of experience to be able to do it, or can a regular guy like me learn how to do it without a huge commitment in time or money?  Where does one start?  Are there any good books or online sources of info?  Is it really "easy and fun" like 147JK says?

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #17,088 of 19,143

Sorry for digging this 3 year old post up from the grave, but I'm curious where I can learn how to restore stuff like this.  I used to have a big Pioneer SX-something receiver with fluoroscan meters that I dearly miss.  But I was thinking that buying old gear and spiffing them up would be a hoot.  Does it take an EE degree or years of experience to be able to do it, or can a regular guy like me learn how to do it without a huge commitment in time or money?  Where does one start?  Are there any good books or online sources of info?  Is it really "easy and fun" like 147JK says?

I'd join Audiokarma and learn from the guys there - there are a number of techs who are members who freely offer advice on recapping items, even providing part number lists. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #17,089 of 19,143
If all you're going to do is recap, you'll need a good understanding of capacitor values and replacement options, but you'll also need excellent soldering skills and good soldering equipment.  Many of the old boards have a coating on them to prevent deterioration of the traces so you have to burn through that to get to the actual solder joint.  Once there you have to apply sufficient heat to melt the old solder without burning the trace and (gulp!) lifting it off the board (been there, done that, got the refrigerator magnet).

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #17,090 of 19,143

fluoroscan meters, could be SX-3700 (45 watts), SX-3800 (60 watts), SX-3900  (120 watts) SX-D5000/SX-D7000 (60/120 watts). Last fall the  SX-3900 was going as high as $1400 on feabay...

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #17,091 of 19,143
OK,my new baby just arrived.
Kenwood Eleven GX....Look at the size of this thing!!!
Thats a Magni Uber 2 on top for reference.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #17,093 of 19,143
  I'm a HUGE fan of that model line! They're a PITA to come by, but worth it when you find them. The 6060, 6120, and 6200 are all end game units (with minor variations in voicing) that seek to match mcintosh voicing and build quality of the time they were built. They are 99.9% as good as the best amps I've ever listened to, and I use them as (very pleasant) hot swaps when my main rig is out for repairs.
I have modified mine slightly - one got a beefier power supply, the other was recapped, but nothing that changed their sonic character.
I highly recommend those three SONY models to anyone looking to short circuit the vintage trade up game and start with a reliable, infinitely repairable, near flawless, well built amp, that competes well above its $200-700 price tag.

Hell yeah, mine is so good even though it's not even recapped! The only thing I did is replace the old lamps with new LED ones. The colours don't quite match but hey!

I kind of want a 6120 too but I can't really justify it when I have a whole heap of other receivers I don't use...

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #17,094 of 19,143
Nice! The mid 70's Kenwoods are the best looking vintage receivers out there. Have fun

Agree 100%...I read mixed reports about the sound of the Kenwoods,but the looks are what got me hooked.Its right up there w/ the Sansui QRX9001 in the eye candy dept.

It def has a more detailed airier sound than my Sansuis,similar to my Onkyo TX6500 mk2 

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #17,095 of 19,143
Agree 100%...I read mixed reports about the sound of the Kenwoods,but the looks are what got me hooked.Its right up there w/ the Sansui QRX9001 in the eye candy dept.

It def has a more detailed airier sound than my Sansuis,similar to my Onkyo TX6500 mk2 

I have a KR-7600 that sounds really good, but it doesn't have the soundstage width and depth that my Sansui 9090 does. Its going to go into a second system with a Technics turntable, an Aune T1 dac and either Infinity RS5's or maybe a pair of Elac B6's

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #17,096 of 19,143
  fluoroscan meters, could be SX-3700 (45 watts), SX-3800 (60 watts), SX-3900  (120 watts) SX-D5000/SX-D7000 (60/120 watts). Last fall the  SX-3900 was going as high as $1400 on feabay...

SX-3800 rings a bell...it was 20 years ago.  At the same time I also had a reel-to-reel Pioneer tape deck and Pioneer cassette deck, all approximately the same vintage and all with fluoroscans.  They made a pretty show in a dark room.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #17,097 of 19,143
  I'd join Audiokarma and learn from the guys there - there are a number of techs who are members who freely offer advice on recapping items, even providing part number lists. 

Thanks for the advice.  I'll start there and see where it goes.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #17,098 of 19,143
  If all you're going to do is recap, you'll need a good understanding of capacitor values and replacement options, but you'll also need excellent soldering skills and good soldering equipment.  Many of the old boards have a coating on them to prevent deterioration of the traces so you have to burn through that to get to the actual solder joint.  Once there you have to apply sufficient heat to melt the old solder without burning the trace and (gulp!) lifting it off the board (been there, done that, got the refrigerator magnet).

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but probably not adept enough to give it a go on expensive gear without some practice.  I was thinking about not just that though, also stuff like replacing knobs and switches (are these parts hard to come by?), refinishing wood cabinets, front glass replacement, VU or fluoroscan meters, etc.  The whole works.  Come to think of it, I may be getting in over my head....

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #17,099 of 19,143

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but probably not adept enough to give it a go on expensive gear without some practice.  I was thinking about not just that though, also stuff like replacing knobs and switches (are these parts hard to come by?), refinishing wood cabinets, front glass replacement, VU or fluoroscan meters, etc.  The whole works.  Come to think of it, I may be getting in over my head....

lol

AK is indeed a great resource of info on vintage gear...i do a lot of reading there,and have asked advice in the past,and it is to vintage gear what this site is to headphones.
If I were you Id pick up a low watt beater on eBay for a few bucks and start messing around on that,that way if you screw up its no big loss.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #17,100 of 19,143

Knobs, switches, cabinets, glass and meters may be difficult to come by at reasonable prices since they tend to be custom made parts.  I guess it depends on your level of dedication.  Some of the older Japanese stuff doesn't come apart easily, either.  Think 3D jigsaw puzzle.  Monsterzero is right though, get an inexpensive piece to try your hand on and see if the bug bites you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back