Where did you go to college?
Sep 11, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #61 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Started at Rockford College... Knox College... University of Illinois (Chicago)... Chicago Kent College of Law (IIT)

I've visited all of those except Rockford College. Actually, I've never been too fond of Rockford and tend to just pass through on my way to Wisconsin or Minnesota. My parents live just over an hour South. Knox is a cute little campus and one where there is a lot of school pride. It reminds me a little of Illinois Benedictine in that regard. IIC is definitely a dismal place, and as you say, Kent's law school is just a building (but the same is true of a lot of the Chicago law schools). Aren't they right across from the Chicago Merchantile Exchange, or am I getting it confuesd with a different one? At least Northwestern's law school has a view of Lake Michigan, and the University of Chicago's law school is in a nice location on the main campus in Hyde Park.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #62 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
In Colorado, you might expect the U. of Colorado to be called "UC", but no, they say "CU"--go figure!

Same with the U. of Kansas, they say "KU" -- strange!

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #63 of 208
I'm currently attending Northwestern University, majoring in economics and doing premed as well. Entering my junior year once school starts on the 20th.

We say "NU" here, but when I was at Harvard this summer, I noticed that Northeastern University students also say "NU" as well.. Got a bit confusing cause I kept wanting to say, "Go Wildcats...."

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #64 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I've visited all of those except Rockford College. Actually, I've never been too fond of Rockford and tend to just pass through on my way to Wisconsin or Minnesota. My parents live just over an hour South. Knox is a cute little campus and one where there is a lot of school pride. It reminds me a little of Illinois Benedictine in that regard. IIC is definitely a dismal place, and as you say, Kent's law school is just a building (but the same is true of a lot of the Chicago law schools). Aren't they right across from the Chicago Merchantile Exchange, or am I getting it confuesd with a different one? At least Northwestern's law school has a view of Lake Michigan, and the University of Chicago's law school is in a nice location on the main campus in Hyde Park.

Rockford was pretty nice until Dutch Elm Disease was followed by badly unplanned expansion and now they have a federal judge directing their school system. Some of the nicest muni golf courses I know of. Your folks must be off of US51, huh? Boy, I know that road. Kent's on Wacker Drive; I think you are thinking of Marshall.

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #65 of 208
Quote:

Rockford was pretty nice until Dutch Elm Disease was followed by badly unplanned expansion and now they have a federal judge directing their school system. Some of the nicest muni golf courses I know of. Your folks must be off of US51, huh? Boy, I know that road. Kent's on Wacker Drive; I think you are thinking of Marshall.

I think he's (edit:Wmcmanus) right. The Merc is on Wacker and one of the Kent buildings is just about across the street from it. The old Merc was above Union Station on Jackson.

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #66 of 208
Quote:

Yup, that's it! John Marshall law school is the one that I was thinking of. I've never been to Kent, then.

My folks live in Oglesby, IL which is in the LaSalle-Peru area or what is called the "Illinois Valley" (the Illinois river runs through it). The closest landmark is Starved Rock State Park, which is near to Utica, IL, about 7 miles away from Oglesby. You're right, US51 takes you South from Rockford straight down to LaSalle-Peru, then (if you keep going) to Bloomington, Decatur, and Carbondale. Oglesby is very near to the intersection of I39 and I80.

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #67 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
I think he's right. The Merc is on Wacker and one of the Kent buildings is just about across the street from it. The old Merc was above Union Station on Jackson.

He could very well be right; I haven't seen Kent in 20 years or been in Chicago in 10 years.

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #68 of 208
I got my degree in Political Sciences from the University of Liège in Belgium (ULg). I spent three of the four years needed there.

One year was made in CU, Colorado University at Boulder. Wonderful campus.

And finally I got a Master in European Affairs from the College of Europe (CoE), Campus of Warsaw, Poland. Even better, but, with 123 students, it doesn't really qualify here
wink.gif

I could now begin a year of crash courses in philosophy at the Catholic University of Louvain-la-Neuve (UCL), in Belgium.

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #70 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Being from Europe, I'm not quite familiar with the exact definition of a college. I do have some idea, but it might not necessarily be 100% correct.

- What's the difference between a college and a university?

- At what age and for how long does one attend a college?

- What degree does one graduate from a college?

- How big a percentage of high school graduates go to college in the US?

a) All universities have graduate programs, whereas some colleges do not.

b) For undergrad, 18-22, although some people go to community college first. For a graduate Ph. D. program in something like Biochemistry, it can take forever...think "my entire twenties."

c) Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science for undergrad. Masters or Ph. D. for grad.

d) don't know...

-Matt

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #72 of 208
I got my undergrad degree in economics from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. It's one of the nicer campuses that I've ever seen, and it's got one of the really great collegiate atmospheres. Football Saturdays are the greatest.
biggrin.gif

My grad degrees are both from Wayne State University, a largely commuter campus in downtown Detroit. There has been a lot of beneficial change there in recent years, which is good to see.

I've been to pretty much all the Big 10 schools, and my favorites are probably Northwestern, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. I did a campus visit at Penn, and thought it was a dump. I've also visited Pitt and Carnegie Mellon, and both are nice campuses well integrated into the surrounding areas.

I've always wanted to visit the University of Colorado...maybe next year.

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #73 of 208
I graduated from Tennessee Technological University in 1974 with BSME.

This university is in Cookeville, Tennessee; half way between Nashville and Knoxville, Tn.

Link:

http://www.tntech.edu/

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #75 of 208
I've studied at Queen's University located in Kingston Ontario, MIT, the University of St. Paul and the Univerity of Ottawa, both located in Ottawa (where I am at now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back