Where did you go to college?
Sep 12, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #91 of 208
BS Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland: College Park (spring 2003)
MSEE, University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign (one month ago)

Now to find a freaking job.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #92 of 208
I live in vancouver so I'm in UBC. Currently enrolled in the arts faculty.

Sep 12, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #93 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
BS Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland: College Park (spring 2003)
MSEE, University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign (one month ago)

Now to find a freaking job.
rolleyes.gif

Hey strohmie, congrats about that MSEE from U of I. No small achievement there! I'm sure you'll have lots of offers to sift through.

Sep 12, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #94 of 208
B.S.-Computer Engineer Oregon State University
M.S.- Electrical Engineer Oregon State University

Currently working on my PhD, at..... you guessed it Oregon State University. :-D

Sep 12, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #95 of 208
Can non-Americans partake too?
biggrin.gif

I'm currently in (and have been since 2000) the University of Helsinki.

I'm one of the lucky ones still in the old system here, so when I was accepted into a program that leads into a Master's degree, I'm not forced to "take out" my LL.B/BJS at any point... So I hope to have my LL.M./MJS at some point next year.

/JF

Sep 12, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #96 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
biggrin.gif

I'm one of the lucky ones still in the old system here, so when I was accepted into a program that leads into a Master's degree, I'm not forced to "take out" my LL.B/BJS at any point... So I hope to have my LL.M./MJS at some point next year.

/JF

That is how it worked for me as well. I was able to get some bachelors degrees after 1 year just by following through the masters variety. An odd thing really...

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #97 of 208
BS Biomedical Engineering - Louisiana Tech University (grad in 98). Probably one of the only people here to have ever even visited the Louisiana Tech campus, though their Biomed program is one of the best in the US.

When I visited Louisiana Tech, I thought the campus was nice, in the style of old Louisiana charm, but nothing special compared to other state universities I visited (Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, etc.)

When I left I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

Now I'm working on a MA in Ethics/Theology at Bethel University in St. Paul. I must say that the Bethel campus has very little zip to it. It almost seems there was no planning when the campus was put together, so everything is scrunched and jumbled. The professors, however, make up for the poor campus.

BPRJam

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #98 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
biggrin.gif

/JF

Oh yeah, I forgot the whole campus part
rolleyes.gif

The Helsinki University is the largest in Finland (there are 9 university level institutions in the Greater Helsinki area) with 38,000 students. There are four campuses, and the faculty of law is situated in the city centre campus.

http://www.helsinki.fi/inbrief/campus_city.htm

So, in fact, no campus. Most students at the city campus have a 30min-1h commute to university. The old university buildings are very beautiful, though, and there are advantages to an urban campus. The disadvantages consist of a lack of "esprit de corps" that I for one seem to feel.

I understand that the situation is somewhat different in the new biosciences campus, but have no personal experience of that.

/JF

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Helsinki

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #100 of 208
Iowa State University, 1996, BFA Graphic Design

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #101 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Ya, but somebody has to spend all of that money she'll be making!

LoL…if that were only the case, she was a social worker before becoming a 1L 3 weeks ago. The reason she’s going to law school is because she wants to study public interest law and affect change at the policy level. In other words, I’ll be stuck paying off her law school debt while she’s providing social advocacy. Maybe I can steer her towards corporate law and enjoy an early retirement in the Caymans instead.

Quote:

I was much more interested in becoming a better teacher, but the reward system wasn't set up this way in higher education. I just couldn't see myself sitting in front of a computer massaging data from empirical tests for the rest of my life.

Yeah, many professors are really top level university researchers first and educators second. There is a whole publish or perish mentality because they distinguish themselves and get onto a tenure track through their research work instead of teaching capabilities. My two best friends from college became professors, one was an acoustics professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the other a CS prof at GA Tech.

Quote:

I've always said that starting the Ph.D. program was one of the best decisions in my life, and leaving it was even a better one…So I went to law school instead, and then got an LLM in taxation several years after finishing my JD…But still, to be starting law school at 25 with two master's degrees and a CPA already in hand…

eek.gif
eek.gif
You are likely the most educated person on all of Head-Fi. I was actually concurrently enrolled at two Masters program at Columbia. I went there initially for architecture and enjoyed wallowing in quasi-philosophical archi-babble and theoretical cutting-edge design but realized the disparity of what is learned in school and the actual type of work in practice…which did not interest me. So I sold out completely and studied finance while taking a leave of absence from the architecture program which I never finished (I guess I’m a graduate school dropout too). This was the best decision in my life as well.

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #102 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
eek.gif
eek.gif
You are likely the most educated person on all of Head-Fi. I was actually concurrently enrolled at two Masters program at Columbia.

Stop right there! They would have never let me set foot on campus at places like Columbia and all sorts of other elite universities that I see my fellow Head-fi'ers have studied at! Remember, I quit the Ph.D. program when I was ABD (i.e., after completing the coursework). Several people who have responded to this thread actually FINISHED their doctoral degrees! (Oh, and a bunch more are presently in progress.)

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #103 of 208
Undergrad at University of Texas at Austin.

Petroleum Engineering (heres hoping the economy doesnt crash before 2007).

I visited a ton of different campuses and really love the old south style campus (Tulane, Rice, Mercer) with the long stretches of grass, large oak trees, and beautiful buildings.

The Auburn/clemson campuses are also very nice in their own way. Too much of the same colors IMO, but i guess if I went there I'd feel differently.

Oklahoma has a nice campus ... too bad its full of sooners
rolleyes.gif

I didn't really like the Georgia Tech campus or University of Houston... Too urban for me.

Harvard and Duke were nice, but I didn't like being surrounded by money (nice cars, expensive clothes, expensive living) all the time.

I dont really like the UT campus... too much construction and too crowded. I wish there was more grass.

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #104 of 208
BS Chemical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
MS Computer Science, University of Southern Maine

Seen quite a few colleges and universities - whenever I am near one, I tend to check them out - and some that impressed were Cornell, Stanford, Miami of Ohio, Dartmouth, Smith, McGill. Many other tremendous instutions that I have seen and not seen.

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #105 of 208
94-98 National Technical University of Athens Mechanical-Electrical Engineering
98-99 National Technical University of Athens MSc. Mechanical-Electrical Engineering
02-03 Cornell University MSc. Industrial Engineering

Its funny how different education is between the 2 countries.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back