Where did you go to college?
Mar 4, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #196 of 208
B.A. in Chemistry, Ursinus College, Collegeville, PA. 1976.
M.S. in Chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. 1981.
Ph.D. in BioPhysical Chemistry, Cornell University, 1985.

Collegeville was a great small town to hang out in while exploring the fantastic cognitive spaces of Chemistry and Physics as an undergrad.

Ithaca was basically another small town (although it does have some of the population diversity of a small city) with the most amazing natural beauty to hang out in while travelling at light speed to the far reaches of the cognitive galaxy in the Chemistry Department at Cornell. I met my wife and we married while at Cornell. It's 27 years later, and we're still enjoying our memories together of the beginnings of everything we've built together over the years back in Ithaca.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #198 of 208
I went to the University of Edgbaston, Birmingham UK.

I studied Bsc in Computing science...weirdly enough after the first year I graduated with a Phd in Guinness and a Doctorate in gambling. Which really annoyed me cos I got kicked out after the first year of computing science
rs1smile.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #200 of 208
Hmm, I must be one of the very few in here that never went to college. Never even occured to me all those many years ago, I was too busy trying to get out of school and escape the nightmare that is the education system.

Still, at least I have a fun job
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #201 of 208
...crickets chirping....

I'm a bit of a slacker, and have yet to graduate college. Honestly, I'd rather get a mediocre job than spend another year or two in college, but I'll stick with it till a company wants to hire me.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #202 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i remember everyone wanted to go to UC Irvine if they wanted the loveliest campus atmosphere - and that includes the student body
evil_smiley.gif

Whoa, whoa, cue me in here, Jahn.

I'm a prospective Biochem PhD student at UC-Irvine and I'd like for you to elaborate on that statement, for I am unknowledgeable regarding these aspects of the school (even though they paid for me to visit the school, I apparently WASN'T paying attention).

Although I'll probably end up at UCSD/Salk, any input would be appreciated.

-Matt

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #203 of 208
I'm starting to approach the end of my first year of engineering at the University of Alberta!

In the off chance that I don't fail any more classes and do reasonably well this term, I hope to be going in to mechanical engineering next year. Or I may step in front of a bus. We'll see.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #204 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Undergrad-- University Of California San Diego

Masters-- San Diego State

God I miss San Diego!
frown.gif

No sh!t?
Me too!
What years were you at both places?
I graduated from Muir @ UCSD in 1986 after 4 yrs in La Jolla and one in France.
Then I went to SDSU for grad school where I also taught French for two yrs.
I miss SD too. I moved from there to Switzerland then back to the states where I was accepted at UNR but ended up w/ a career and a family instead.
I miss school and San Diego but no regrets. My daughter is it:
http://homepage.mac.com/lewiso/iMovieTheater33.html
*CPW*

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #205 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, whoa, cue me in here, Jahn.

I'm a prospective Biochem PhD student at UC-Irvine and I'd like for you to elaborate on that statement, for I am unknowledgeable regarding these aspects of the school (even though they paid for me to visit the school, I apparently WASN'T paying attention).

Although I'll probably end up at UCSD/Salk, any input would be appreciated.

-Matt

:p I second that. I will be applying to several schools next year, including UCI. Apparently, I'm not good enough for TCU, Duke, Brown, or USC according to my college couselor . Might as well make it an enjoyable stay atleast.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #206 of 208
Let's put it this way folks - that's in the heart of "The O.C." - perhaps you've seen it on TV?
smily_headphones1.gif

For a more "academic" viewpoint on it, here's Wikipedia-

[edit] Off-campus activities

See also: Parking and Transportation at UC Irvine Orange County itself hosts a variety of attractions popular with UCI students. Newport Beach, which is less than 10 minutes away, is home to a vibrant night life and the famous Balboa Island. Newport Harbor is perfect for water sports such as rowing or sailing. The UCI Crew team headquarters its operations in the city's Upper Bay; similarly, the UCI Sailing Association operates out of in Newport Beach, holding regular regattas and classes through the ARC.
The idyllic shell-lined beaches of Newport Beach (notably its Balboa Peninsula and Corona del Mar neighborhoods), Huntington Beach, Crystal Cove State Park, and Laguna Beach are popular local attractions for students, many of whom visit after a day of lectures (Yes you read that right -ed.). Balboa Peninsula and Corona del Mar are particularly known for hosting numerous bonfire pits for late-night parties, with the Balboa Peninsula also hosting two restaurants on its historic piers and a boardwalk. And for students interested in scenic cliffside views and renting jetskis, Dana Point and San Clemente a short drive away from Laguan Beach, south of Pacific Coast Highway.
In terms of major shopping areas, the University Center has been heavily developed to provide shopping, entertainment, and dining, and is accessible from UCI via the Watson Bridge. The campus is within driving distance of the Irvine Spectrum Center, South Coast Plaza, The Block at Orange, Downtown Disney, and local shopping centers. Additionally, the city of Irvine itself has many well-known student hangouts, such as the Irvine Lanes bowling alley, Boomers!, the Verizon Amphitheater, and the local Target.
In the greater Orange County area, Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm are popular for large student group events. Wild Rivers, a water-based amusement park, is located in Irvine south of UCI. Nearby Anaheim also hosts Angel Stadium and the Arrowhead Pond. Furthermore, day trips to Los Angeles or San Diego are far from uncommon, and since most UC Irvine students have access to vehicular transportation, such getways are feasible and affordable. In good traffic conditions, Los Angeles is approximately one hour away, and San Diego two.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #207 of 208
Wow, Head-fi's full of such educated people.

I, for one, received my B.S. in Information Systems Engineering at Stony Brook University, formerly known as the State University of New York @ Stony Brook. We're upgrading baby, at least the name is, lol. :hangs head in shame:

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #208 of 208
UCI Survived 2 years of Engineering then took a year off
SDSU BSEE

Universities I worked at after getting a degree:
UCSD Worked across the street at Salk too
Emory University

Users who are viewing this thread

Back