Where did you go to college?
Sep 24, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #166 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Graduate: Tulane University, New Orleans, MS in Computer Science (1999).
Undergrad: Licentiate in Computer Science, at the Universidad central de Venezuela (UCV), Caracas (1995)

The degree names seem to differ quite a lot in different countries. You had an undergrad degree called licentiate? In northern Europe (atleast in Finland), licentiate is a degree that's "between" a master and a doctoral degree.

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #168 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
They say your student loans are forgiven if you die....I'm in it for the long haul.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sadly enough that looks like a pausible option for me...
frown.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #169 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Go New York!
Bachelor of Engineering: The Cooper Union

I repaired all of the Xerox machines and computer network at Cooper Union in the mid 90's. There are now 2 different Starbucks within one block of Astor Place. Believe it or not, they are both busy until 1 a.m.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #170 of 208
I coulden't afford college. I had to stay home and drink. I just coulden't handle the $20,000 cover charge.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
............U.C. Bearcat

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #171 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I repaired all of the Xerox machines and computer network at Cooper Union in the mid 90's. There are now 2 different Starbucks within one block of Astor Place. Believe it or not, they are both busy until 1 a.m.

Small world! I still frequent those Starbucks near Astor...as well as McSorleys
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #172 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
The degree names seem to differ quite a lot in different countries. You had an undergrad degree called licentiate? In northern Europe (atleast in Finland), licentiate is a degree that's "between" a master and a doctoral degree.

Yes they certainly do. Licentiate in Venezuela is a 5 year undergraduate academic program. It is considered a little more than the typical Bachelor's degree in the US, but less than a Masters degree.

Sep 25, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #173 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer

The French used to have "Licence" as an undergrad degree as well, but I think they did away with it when moving over to the Bologna system. Generally, licentiate would be a post-graduate degree, based on the idea that it's the license to teach at the university.

Then again, the American J.D. is not exactly a doctorate either, now is it?
eek.gif

/JF

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #174 of 208
There is a lot of confusion in Europe about academic degrees right now. The European Union has decided to stream line higher education during a 10 year period, as to titles and level of knowledge expected of the students. The Anglo-Saxon system of Bachelor and Master titles will or has been implemented.

Here in the Netherlands there are two different Bachelor and Master degrees
rolleyes.gif
: BA, B.Sc, MA, M.Sc et cetera at the universities and simply "B" and "M" at the colleges. The college Bachelor has a wide or a deep focus. Usually it is a wide (more subjects and less depth). Just having a Master degree in your Curriculum Vitae does not say much about the individual’s academic merits here.

EDIT: JiiEF used the right term: The Bologna system, for the EU higher educational project.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #175 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Small world! I still frequent those Starbucks near Astor...as well as McSorleys
wink.gif

In my younger days...I threw up many times, outside of McSorley's
eek.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #176 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
The French used to have "Licence" as an undergrad degree as well, but I think they did away with it when moving over to the Bologna system. Generally, licentiate would be a post-graduate degree, based on the idea that it's the license to teach at the university.

Then again, the American J.D. is not exactly a doctorate either, now is it?
eek.gif

/JF

I think the JD here is actually somewhat equivalent to obtaining a non medical doctorate degree. 3 years of intense study after obtaining a bachelors degree.

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #177 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I think the JD here is actually somewhat equivalent to obtaining a non medical doctorate degree. 3 years of intense study after obtaining a bachelors degree.

LOL, most high qualitity PhD degrees take six years of study. Four years is an absolute minimum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #178 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
LOL, most high qualitity PhD degrees take six years of study. Four years is an absolute minimum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep. Should have stuck with LL.B., IMHO. Have a hard time selling that "it's almost as good as a real doctorate" to me as long as there's the LL.M. and the possibility of the said REAL doctorate.

/JF

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #179 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
smily_headphones1.gif

Usually, you need to have a Master’s degree to qualify for a doctor’s programme. Sometimes the Master courses are included in the doctor’s programme.

I know in Germany a doctor’s programme, after the Master degree, is at least 3 years, in Sweden and the Netherlands it is about 3-5 years (compulsory courses and lecturing included). The exact duration can vary due to the discipline and scope of the research. Every student will usually have to get several papers published in well known international scientific publications in the field, and eventually produce a Doctor’s thesis. Traditionally, it will have to be publicly defended.

Are there no European and American Ph.D´s around here? Enlighten us please.

EDIT: Spelling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back