Where did you go to college?
Sep 11, 2005 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 208

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Having lived in the Cayman Islands for 9 years now, I miss being around major college campuses.

For years, I made it a point to check out any campus that I was driving past. I've visited at least 100 campuses in the US, and never seem tire to the experience of checking out another one!

Here's the one's I've attended, in order: Illinois Valley Community College (Oglesby, IL, also my home town), Illinois State University (Normal, IL), The University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS), Northern Illinois University (DeKalb, IL), The University of Missouri-Kansas City (KC, MO).

I've also taught at: Millikin University (Decatur, IL), Illinois Wesleyan University (Bloomington, IL), The Defiance College (Defiance, OH), and the International College of the Cayman Islands (Grand Cayman).

Of the campuses that I've visited but never attended or taught at, my favorites include: Notre Dame University (South Bend, IN), The University of Texas (Austin, TX), The University of Colorado (Boulder, CO), The University of Mississippi (Oxford, MS). There are a whole bunch more, but those are some of the more memorable ones.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 208
I went to Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee. One of the most beautiful campuses in the U.S., imo. I am now a Professor at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas.

Edit:

J.D., Baylor University School of Law

LL.M., Tulane University School of Law
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 208
Cool thread!

I went to MIT. Now I'm at California, Irvine. All the the UC campuses are nice in their own way.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 208
UC Berkeley - Undergrad
UCLA - Grad (Master's)
??? = PhD...

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 208
Went to Georgia Tech from fall 1997 to summer 2001. Bachelor's in Computer Science. Nothing exciting here!
biggrin.gif

I could've commuted from my parents' home, but I'm really glad I decided to live on campus. The commute would have been extremely tiring and it was a great experience to get away from the nest (and thankfully I've never had the need to return
wink.gif
). Tech campus is nice, but nothing extraordinary. Lots of construction going on my last couple of years and beyond. Parking was a huge PITA but I only had a car my last semester. It's a good size - not too small to feel cramped but not so large that walking across posed a problem.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 208
Attending the University of Georgia.

Go bulldogs! (hahaha)^

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Went to Georgia Tech from fall 1997 to summer 2001... Nothing exciting here!
biggrin.gif

I'd have to agree in terms of the physical campus itself, but this is the case with many urban campuses. But yet they do some pretty amazing things in terms of research. Their Ph.D. program in business has always been well respected, at least.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 208
Of the universities that I've attended, my fondest memories (easlily) are at The Universtiy of Kansas. Built on an enormous hill, the campus gives off a layered effect from a distance, with some of the main buildings such as the business school and law school nestled into the lower portion of the hill, and the main library, student union building and a lot of the lecture halls built up on top of the hill. Most of the older buildings are built with redish looking roof tiles or variations thereof, giving the entire setting a lot of structural harmony. The "Campanile" which is a tall war memorial built above the football stadium and illuminated at night makes for some great photo ops.

The entire (main) campus in Lawrence is controlled by several gated access points, such that the only vehicles that can get "up the hill" during the day are those with proper authorization (parking permits, etc.) While this was a bit frustrating at first, it clearly servse the purpose of keeping vehicle traffic to a minimum and allowing people to move about more freely and in a more peaceful environment. It did put an emphasis on getting to where you needed to go on time, and also kept you healthy marching up and down stairs.

While at KU from '86-'88, I happened to be in the right place at the right time, and was a season ticket holder to the '88 National Champion Jayhawk basketball team featuring Danny Manning, who was the NCAA player of the year. To attempt to describe the pandemonium that ensued on campus and in the streets of Lawrence on the night that the 'Hawks won their final game would to set forth on an essay that would end in a multi volume work. Quite simply: it was one of my life's more amazing and unforgettable experiences!

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 208
I went to Oberlin College, a quaint little campus amidst the corn fields of Ohio. Cass Gilbert was the main architect for the majority of the buildings there, the overall feel is extremely collegiate and small liberal arts feely. I would say it's very "Autumn in A Separate Peace."

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 208
Currently enrolled in Brooklyn College.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back