Where did you go to college?
Sep 11, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #76 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I was going to Tulane Law, but this blasted hurricane sure put a stop to that.

Where are you going to cross-register for the semester?

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #77 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

Best regards,

-Jason

We have some Tulane undergraduate students coming to join us on the Northwestern campus for the term. Wonder if the law school is doing the same, although that campus is in Chicago and not Evanston...

I pray that things are all well iron?

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #78 of 208
Hmm, well, it might be fruitful to look into whether law schools are doing the same. I know for the MBA program, we (NYU Stern) are accepting cross-registrants from Tulane MBA candidates. What year are you? If you're a 2L, this semester is pretty critical for your job hunt - I wouldn't wait it out.

Best regrards,

-Jason

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #79 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

Best regards,

-Jason

I'm not. I was only a 1L, and most schools aren't letting us in anyway. I tried to get into UT Austin, since I live here now, and my wife is an instructor there, but I got screwed over big time (won't go into the details), but suffice to say they have pissed me off to the point of hating that school. I have heard that people who visit are still having to pay Tulane tuition as well, and I don't want to take out $60k in loans for one year of law school. I am either going to withdraw and find a job, or look into transferring somewhere else for next fall. I wasn't sure law school was the thing for me, and all this has really made me think twice about whether I should be doing something else.

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #80 of 208
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech 1981. Man, I am twice the age of most every one in this forum
eek.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #81 of 208
College at UC Berkeley, having left the conservative bastion of Orange County for the liberal quagmire...Go Bears!

Graduate school at Columbia University, having left the liberal quagmire for the Big Apple...Go Lions!

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #83 of 208
Started off taking a few classes at Edinboro University of PA in the Spring of '91

Took a few years off then took a few more classes as time allowed at Elizabethtown Community College from '93-98 while I was in the Army

Finally got out of the service in '99 and eventually went back to school during the fall of '02 at Penn State Erie, Behrend College and I'll graduate this Decmber.

Up next is the University of Massachusetts at Lowell from my Master's Degree starting January of next year.

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #84 of 208
I may be the only one here, got my bachelor's degree from New Mexico State University. I loved my time in Las Cruces and I have plans to retire there many years from now
biggrin.gif

Right now I'm thinking about grad school, I really need to find the right time to make it happen. Now ain't it, but maybe next year. I'll probably go to Johns Hopkins for that one.

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #86 of 208
1991: B.S. Engineering, B.A. Psychology, University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (Go Blue!)
1993: M.S. Experimental Psychology, Georgia Tech
1995: M.S. Computer Science, Georgia Tech
1996: Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Georgia Tech

Then 3 years as a postdoc at Carnegie Mellon. Highly over-educated; I just love to learn stuff.
biggrin.gif

All three of these schools have been mentioned by other Head-Fi'ers. Good company, I guess.

Because I go to a fair number of conferences and workshops hosted by universities, I've spent time on a lot of campuses. There are a great many very nice places out there; I'm not sure I could pick the most beautiful campus...

Oh, and now I'm a faculty member at Rice University, and I'm up for tenure this year, yay. Spent most of Saturday on campus doing advising for visiting students from Tulane. Tough situation for them, but not as bad as for many others still living in the convention center and the Astrodome...

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #87 of 208
My dad went to Georgia Tech. Props to y'all then. I did my undergrad (Computer Engineering) at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and I'm doing my grad work there too (Electrical Engineering). Should get my MS in a year and then start on my Phd.

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #88 of 208
My goodness, I didn't realize that we had a bunch of Head-fi'ers with Ph.D.s and what not, plus lawyers, engineers, and on and on.

Education is definitely an interesting "buzz" in the sense that it gets your blood pumping as a young person. It gives you a wonderful opportunity to define for yourself how best to map out your career (and life, really). After being away from the "building" phase of my career for some time now, it's fun to think back on the great times that I had in my 20's and early 30's while in grad school and law school. Getting the right grades along the way and then the "sheepskin" itself is only a fraction of the overall experience. Being in the midst of campus life opens your mind to all sorts of possibilities, and gives you endless hope for an uncertain, but exciting, future.

Once you start working, of course you have to deal more squarely with reality, but it's likely to be a better reality than you would have been facing without your education. Maybe I should go back and finish that elusive Ph.D.

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #89 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Maybe I should go back and finish that elusive Ph.D.

Yeah, me too...I still remember when my dad asked me when I was going to get my PhD...at my Masters degree commencement ceremony! I mean can't he let me relish in the moment?

I had to explain to him that working in finance/banking, most people don't have PhDs unless they do research or are quants. But then my brother is an MD, dad a PhD, grandfather an MD...now my fiancee is getting her JD. I guess I'll be the under-educated one in the family.
eek.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #90 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
now my fiancee is getting her JD. I guess I'll be the under-educated one in the family.
eek.gif

Ya, but somebody has to spend all of that money she'll be making!

<Sigh> I started my Ph.D. program at age 22 and made it through the coursework, but never could get motivated to do the dissertation. I was hopeless as a researcher and not at all interested, particularly in my field which was accounting/finance. I mean, really, who cares if there is a stock price reaction to a firm's announcement that they are intending to switch from the FIFO to LIFO method of accounting for inventory? I was much more interested in becoming a better teacher, but the reward system wasn't set up this way in higher education. I just couldn't see myself sitting in front of a computer massaging data from empirical tests for the rest of my life. So I went to law school instead, and then got an LLM in taxation several years after finishing my JD.

I've always said that starting the Ph.D. program was one of the best decisions in my life, and leaving it was even a better one! I would have forever wondered if it was "for me" had I not tried. But having tried and having discovered that it really wasn't for me, this allowed me to move on in a positive way. Thankfully, in my family, my brothers and sister and I were first generation college, so there was no pressure to go any further than the bachelor's level. But still, to be starting law school at 25 with two master's degrees and a CPA already in hand, and yet thinking of myself as a "failure" was kind of odd. My experience in the Ph.D. program really got to me down for a while, but I didn't let it keep me down. What's the sense in that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back