Where did you go to college?
Sep 11, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #48 of 208
Attended: Gulf Coast Junior College (while in High School)
United States Merchant Marine Academy (All Male when I began)
(1971-1975)
Whittier College School of Law (1979 - 1980)

Visited: University of Texas (Austin), United States Coast Guard Academy, United States Naval Academy, New York Maritime Academy (Ft. Schuyler), United States Air Force Academy, Hofstra, Notre Dame, Fordham, The Clairmont Colleges, Harvey Mudd, UCLA, USC, Colorado School of Mines, and a few others that escape my memory at this time...

The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy is situated on the North Shore of Long (Don't forget to pronounce the g) Island, New York, on the site of the former Walter P Chrysler Mansion, in Kings Point. A beautiful, albeit small, campus, with a sweeping View of Long Island Sound.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #49 of 208
Started at Rockford College in Rockford, IL and took my B.A. (Bad Attitude) from Knox College in Galesburg, IL in 1974. Rockford College had moved from a classic and beautiful 19th century small college city campus to a sprawling semi-suburban setting by the time I got there. Progress.
rolleyes.gif
Knox College (a stop on the Lincoln-Douglas debate circuit) has maintained and expanded on its city campus. My M.S. (Master Slinger) is from the University of Illinois (Chicago) and was finished in 1978 (whew!). This is a souless planned commuter campus with buildings looking like they were defecated at the same time by giant heartless prehistoric birds. Thank God for Taylor Street in the 70s. The J.D. (I haven't though of anything cute for this combination of letters) is from Chicago Kent College of Law (IIT) in 1984. Kent is a downtown single building school that has been completely renovated since my time, separate from the southside IIT campus and is pretty much a commuter school, too.

If you get out of an education what you put into it, I'd have to say it's easier for me to accomplish more at small schools with atmosphere and society.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #51 of 208
Got my B.S. from Elon. I'm currently at NC State taking prereqs for my Dental School application. Hopefully I'll be going to Chapel Hill for a PhD in about a year.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #52 of 208
Another UC Davis undergrad here, although I enjoyed my time there (usually enjoyed it a little too much
blink.gif
). Still, I managed to get my JD at Boston College Law School and have been practicing law in SF for 15 years.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #54 of 208
i am still in high school but i been to Princeton campus and my brother goes to GWU. i really like GWU campus because its right in the city. DC is the best place you can go to college/univercity if you want to have a carrier in politics. Plus its really safe because there is every secret service organization you can think of.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #55 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
If I tell people I went to UC around here, they say, "really? Which one? UCLA? Berkley? Irvine?"

I say, "uh, in Ohio."

They say, "really? I didn't know there was one out there."

-Ed

That's pretty funny! In Chicago also, they call the University of Chicago "UC". In Colorado, you might expect the U. of Colorado to be called "UC", but no, they say "CU"--go figure!

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #56 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I currently attend Ohio State University...

I've been there for a football game, but wasn't driving so I didn't have a chance to check out the campus. That's definitely one of my "near miss" campus visits. It's on my road map if ever I do a long distance driving tour of college campuses.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #57 of 208
BA Psychology, University of Warwick, UK 1979
MSc Occupational Psychology, University of Hertfordshire, UK 1992
MS Information Systems, Drexel University, PA,USA, 2002
PhD Information Science, Drexel University, PA,USA, oink oink flap flap

Having been schooled in the UK and USA it is interesting to reflect on the differences. In the UK *most* degrees are for a single subject and you concentrate on that subject for 3 years solid. With the US system you do not need to commit to a "major" immediately.

In the UK entry reqts are more or less on the basis of Advanced "high" School exams taken at age 18, in the USA the biggest (as far as I can tell) determinant is the standardized tests, I offer no opinion either way.

In the UK even before you enter University/College you are expected to have narrowed down your interests to 3 or so subjects, in the US you are expected to study rather more widely.

As far as I can tell massive grade inflation and plagiarism is a big problem in both systems
frown.gif
at least it is a big problem in my little corner...

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #60 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Is this the one in Orano (sp?). I once had an interview at Husson College in Bangor, ME, and checked out Portland, Bar Harbour, and the surrounding areas for a couple of days in my rental car. As I recall, they had won a couple of national championships in ice hockey. Same place?

Same university system, but different location. I attended the campuses in Portland and Gorham (University of Southern Maine). The University of Maine is in Orono, just outside Bangor, and yes, they have won Division 1 national ice hockey championships. My alma mater (USM) has a really good baseball program and they have won a couple of Division III national world series championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back