[REVIEW] Rhapsodio RDB+ V1 Hybrid (2BA + Dynamic driver)
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #46 of 129
Vibes, if i have not EB50 i would also agree with you. however i have them and can assure you this little cans are something special. they will not excel in deep bass or sparkling highs due to single BA limitations... but EB50 excels in neutrality, this is really balanced from top to bottom, dead balanced, freaking balanced take it or leave it. believe me chap, i doubt many higher priced IEMs could be so balanced like EB50.

this drives us to the next issue. due to its neutrality EB50 can sound harsh and unforgiving at times and with some specific gear and no amp will help you. so while EB50 is great single BA on the budget i would venture to say they are not everyone's cup of tea, so audtion before buying them is a must.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #47 of 129
I know the driver very well and played with filters and even venting. They can be made to sound really good and have a very nice mid. But you are always trading a 2.5Khz bump against treble extension on the top, low bass is just OK and they lack a bit of air and texture. Great tuning minimizes all of these but there's a limit. The bump can make them sound very clean like a PL50. Venting and more damping will make them warm and less forward like the Sherwood se-777. They can be very good but they can't be world beaters unless they just happen to be for you and you've found a magic synergy.

Here's some other takes. Sounds exactly like a siren with it's strong points and limits. There's a very favorable one on a closed ABI thread but the guy seemed a shill. It gets what I'm sure are deservedly good reviews but not top contender type stuff.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/eb-50
http://www.trustedreviews.com/musical-fidelity-eb-50_Headphones_review

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #48 of 129
Vibes, you are COMPLETELY correct and what you said applies to my EB50, less stage, less air, more congested but precise, lows and highs do not extend as far as i would wish... still overall presentation is fairly well done and a joy to listen, this is just NO FUN but fairly honest IEM, take it or leave it. this is why i said that EB50 must be auditioned before buying because i can see some people getting frustrated with them.

Agree with the second review but WhatHiFi must inspect their ears and brains... this applies not only to their review of EB50 but also to their glorious review of Cyrus CDP 8 which i personally found dull and mechanic-digital sounding. never trust WhatHiFi, they know little about what they write. I very much prefer stereophile, 6moons and other more reputable sources which do honest reviews.

and this review sums it up pretty well, check conclusion: http://hifipig.com/musical-fidelity-eb-50-in-ear-monitors/

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #50 of 129
Vibes, for me RDB+ sounds like final destination. i can well imagine there might be better IEMs costing also more pennies but for me RDB+ is perfect match and a fun to listen so why would i have to worry about anything better?

EB50 stays as backup on my smaller rig consisting of C3+BH while RDB+ will shine on RWAK+T1
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #52 of 129
update: my RDB+v1 is on burn in and listening session continues...... smile on my face goes wider (and also wilder :-D ), this RDB are so highly musical and detail revealing. i think 50-70 hours should be enough for burn in but even now they sound so amazing in my portable rig, i feel me toe tapping each time during listen, and more so my daughter also experienced toe-tapping during auditioning of my setup 

so far so great. RDBv1 is insane value for the money :-D

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #53 of 129
Quote:
update: my RDB+v1 is on burn in and listening session continues...... smile on my face goes wider (and also wilder :-D ), this RDB are so highly musical and detail revealing. i think 50-70 hours should be enough for burn in but even now they sound so amazing in my portable rig, i feel me toe tapping each time during listen, and more so my daughter also experienced toe-tapping during auditioning of my setup 

so far so great. RDBv1 is insane value for the money :-D

Such a tease...by Thurs I should be able to pick my v1's from the post office - assuming they haven't returned to sender since I've not been home for a month. I keep forgetting, are you still using the stock cable? What source are you using?

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #54 of 129
Anak, i am using black 8 braid OFC cable (not stock) which i bought along with my RDB+v1 884346_346061172170613_1642011665_o.jpg The stock cable is cheaper one and stays in the box. so far everything sounding great. my sources are RWA AK100 and Colorfly C3, amplifier Tralucent T1. today tried them with C3 for the first time since RWA AK battery died on me during listen and this charging now.

one word, i love RDB+v1, for me personally they sound so lively and engaging. highs are sometimes bit too much but i admire the ability of RDB+ to keep everything well under control, no sibilance and sounding full and coherent from top to bottom. so far so happy.

i am curious however what your findings will be because as many people as many ears 
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #56 of 129
Apr 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #58 of 129
one more day with RDB+v1 and pleasure to listen. great detail and airy presentation, nice layering, dynamic is good too. i continue burn in to see how they change after 100 hours... But so far i am positively impressed. Did small comparison to TF10 but since they are two diferent cups of tea i find side by side comparison not really helping much, rather i can say they both will happily live with me in my rig depending on the mood and msuic style.

So far i am happy keeping all my IEMs because i love them all for various music and really cannot think of selling any of them. My list includes now RDB+, TF10 and EB50 in order of preference :)

big thanks goes to H20 for tipping me on RDB and TF and also all great advices he gave. also thanks to everyone for useful responses, it is really amazing how many knowledgeable people i met here who helped me to educate myself in portable music playback. very happy i bumped into HeadFi forums. :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #59 of 129
Hi
I'm new to the forum but it's been ten months I read you! I am an active member of a french forum and I discovered the joys of audio
I have 4ai with ipod plus ttvj slim, a j3 /ath w3000 with m1dac plus o2!
I will receive a sr 71b
And I find my 4ai sometimes too wise! That's why I'm very interested in RDB +v1!
Has anyone owned or heard it both models?

Will it be an upgrade?

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #60 of 129
Quote:
Hi
I'm new to the forum but it's been ten months I read you! I am an active member of a french forum and I discovered the joys of audio
I have 4ai with ipod plus ttvj slim, a j3 /ath w3000 with m1dac plus o2!
I will receive a sr 71b
And I find my 4ai sometimes too wise! That's why I'm very interested in RDB +v1!
Has anyone owned or heard it both models?

Will it be an upgrade?

I just received my v1 before the weekend, and I am very impressed with it.  This is my first higher-end IEM, and I am appreciating concepts like soundstage depth, separation, imagery, etc. thanks to the v1. 

I also heard my friend's 4.Ai on Saturday.  I find the 4.Ai to be more neutral, and as others have suggested, the v1 has a U-shaped FR and is leaning towards the fun side of neutral.  So I guess it really depends on what sound signature do you prefer.   Perhaps both?  
biggrin.gif

I am glad I made the purchase, and this could be my IEM for a long time while I try my best to stay away from reading about all the new exciting IEMs on Head-Fi... 
beyersmile.png
  Thanks to H20fidelity for pointing out this exciting IEM to the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back