Zune80 or Ipod80
Jan 21, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #61 of 97
The Zune software has quirks, but I find it much more tolerable than iTunes (which I find intolerable). It depends on how you work, I guess. I only want to use it for transferring my music to the Zune, and not to be my super media library centerpiece, and that is what it does well. As opposed to iTunes, which forces itself to be that centerpiece, and would not accept being anything else.

For example, the Zune software allows you to copy music out of the Zune and onto the HD. That makes much sense. iTunes does not. If you plug the Zune into another computer, it suggests to connect it as a Guest and not sync it, or you can reattach the Zune to this new computer and sync it. Very sensible.

But Zune software would have silly (technically minor) quirks like picking up id3v1 tags when id3v2 tags are available. Not a huge problem if you understand how it works, but extremely confusing if you're not so technically familiar/capable of recognizing this as the reason (you'd just sit there and wonder why the album is named wrong - it's because your id3v1 tag is wrong, and you're looking at the id3v2 tag in your tagging program).

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #62 of 97
I have had a zune 80 for about a month now. It is a great piece of hardware, sound quality is really nice. Nice size screen, easy to use controls. I have just a few complaints.

Zune software is complete S@$T, this device would be almost perfect if they allowed simple drag and drop through windows interface. Also had to install vista 64 so I could still run a 64 bit OS (zune software doesnt work with xp 64). Luckily using vista has been pretty nice so far. I have albums that are separated because tracks have different artist names. I was close to sending the damn thing back after I had to deal with this software.

But decided not to, as I really do love the player itself.

I have previously owned a zen vision m (great software, mediocre hardware).

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #63 of 97
The tag-dependent issues are the same as what you would experience with iTunes and the iPod (been there, done that). While I didn't like this approach either when I first got my iPod, it's a commonly accepted evil of the MP3 player industry these days, especially HD based ones.

So I'm gonna echo the sentiment that the Zune software is not as bad as it's made out to be IF you are familiar with managing your files entirely by ID3 tags and all the quirks that involve (and some extra ones as I mentioned above).

I stress this because this was one of the concerns I had buying into a Zune, ... with a lot of people saying that the Zune software was crap. I feared that it was going to be worse than iTunes, which I couldn't tolerate itself. But I've found that it's quite functional, and for my needs, it's better suited than iTunes. So if you find yourself in the same boat as me, these might be some reassuring words.

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #64 of 97
Quote:

I have albums that are separated because tracks have different artist names. I was close to sending the damn thing back after I had to deal with this software.

Try this with Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2) :
For non-compilations albums, the "Artist" and "Album Artist" (or BAND) tag must be the same for each song inside the album

For compilations albums (ie: Soundtracks), the album name should be used as the "Album Artist" (or BAND) tag for each song inside the album

In mp3tag, change your id3 metadata version to id3v2.3 with UTF-16 encoding. Go Tools > Options > Tags > Mpeg

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #65 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this with Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2) :
For non-compilations albums, the "Artist" and "Album Artist" (or BAND) tag must be the same for each song inside the album

For compilations albums (ie: Soundtracks), the album name should be used as the "Album Artist" (or BAND) tag for each song inside the album

In mp3tag, change your id3 metadata version to id3v2.3 with UTF-16 encoding. Go Tools > Options > Tags > Mpeg

I have tried changing the artist name on compilation albums, which was an inconvenience for me. worked for some albums, but i still have many that are a mess, will try to change some of the more advanced settings with mp3tag, thanks.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #66 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised no one is mentioning (maybe I missed it) the fact that you can't get a line-out from the zune without the zune power supply, dock, remote, ... and other nickel & diming accessories... connected.

Who cares.. its a portable device. People who carry around amps and all that crap are ridiculous IMO. Whats the point of being portable then.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Zune 80GB for a few days. Didn't like it, the software was horrible, I personally didn't like the SQ (too shrill),

You must have gotten a defective player or something then. The SQ is very good.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing about the Zune -- I could hear the HD inside spin-up/down when starting/stopping, can't hear that with the iPod. I remember trying the Zune with a few different headphones, and all of them had those high frequencies that hurt my ears a little. I suppose it is possible that it was defective.

Of course it was defective lol.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #69 of 97
another thing I like about zune is I have dropped it about 50 times. Sometimes from HIGH locations. There is not even any cosmetic damage.

I dropped my ipod [size=medium]1 time[/size] and it never worked again.

ZUNE is waaaaay more sturdy.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #70 of 97
We should all go ipod. Die Zune Die !!! haha. Uh actually I think Zune is okay, but am a self admitted apple fanboy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #71 of 97
Quote:

another thing I like about zune is I have dropped it about 50 times. Sometimes from HIGH locations. There is not even any cosmetic damage.

you, too ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

+1

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #72 of 97
I have a Zune with a DecalGirl Skin and screen cover (highly recommended.. wow!!).
I listen to trance using my SuperFi 5 EB's. First of all the Zune is silent... absolutely so. and it is much sturdier than the Ipod.
I also like the fact that I can change batteries much easily than in the Ipod.

My only gripe - I hate the Zune software (FYI - I hate itunes too. Prefer Winamp with "Bento")

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #73 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like the fact that I can change batteries much easily than in the Ipod.

how did you come to that conclusion?

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #74 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dropped my ipod [size=medium]1 time[/size] and it never worked again.

I was sure the Zune screen would be tough, being it's made of glass. So I looked over at it today, an saw an unwanted "sparkle" while the Zune was off. It's got a small scratch in it. Ahhhh! Nothing serious, but a scratch. Anyone had suggestions for the best screen protector? I hated those invisible shield things for the ZVM. No matter what I did, it always seemed to bubble. I doubt things have improved much. Read post on this thread about the DecalGirl skin, but others say they aren't very good. Not sure what to do. They have some at Circuit city, $7.99 per skin, for the Zune.

Maybe I'll just live with the scratches. As long as it works. And you can't really see it when the Zune is turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back