Zune80 or Ipod80
Jan 20, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #49 of 97
I'm surprised no one is mentioning (maybe I missed it) the fact that you can't get a line-out from the zune without the zune power supply, dock, remote, ... and other nickel & diming accessories... connected.

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #52 of 97
I had the Zune 80GB for a few days. Didn't like it, the software was horrible, I personally didn't like the SQ (too shrill), there's no EQ (some people hate EQ, others like me prefer to have at least SOME kind of EQ, even software-based), I like the iPod's interface better.

For me personally, there wasn't a whole lot to like about the Zune except the big screen, which as I mentioned earlier is still technically the same resolution as an iPod, just stretched out. Also, not being able to use the Zune as an external HD was a big let down, especially since I'm a college student.

For roughly the same price as a Zune 80GB the iPod 160GB gives me: a sharper but smaller screen, twice the amount of storage, a ton of accessories should I ever need any of them, EQ, easier line-out, and iTunes (personal preference over Micro$oft's P.O.S.).

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #53 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune has the better:
SQ
Interface
Build
Controls

As bad as the Zune SW is (works fine for me) it's miles ahead of iTunes.

The device itself is definitely ahead of the classic, but I have to disagree in regards to the software being better than iTunes.

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #54 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Zune 80GB for a few days. Didn't like it, the software was horrible, I personally didn't like the SQ (too shrill), there's no EQ (some people hate EQ, others like me prefer to have at least SOME kind of EQ, even software-based), I like the iPod's interface better.

For me personally, there wasn't a whole lot to like about the Zune except the big screen, which as I mentioned earlier is still technically the same resolution as an iPod, just stretched out. Also, not being able to use the Zune as an external HD was a big let down, especially since I'm a college student.

For roughly the same price as a Zune 80GB the iPod 160GB gives me: a sharper but smaller screen, twice the amount of storage, a ton of accessories should I ever need any of them, EQ, easier line-out, and iTunes (personal preference over Micro$oft's P.O.S.).

Interesting, how different ears hear things differently. Of all the things I would say about the Zune80, it sounding "shrill" is not one of them. The software isn't perfect, agree. I have one problem CD's worth of music that keeps reloading every time I sync the Zune, and I have to use Windows explorer to remove the extra copies (there is a great freeware patch available to make the Zune an external HD), a real pain (and I have tried every re-tagging solution with this specific CD, and yet it still keeps loading multiple times). But the interface isn't bad, if it only worked better. Maybe an upgrade will fix it someday.

Anyway, SQ-wise, shrill is not a word that comes to mind with the Zune. I don't believe anyone, even critics, have called the Zune SQ shrill.

Guess it shows how subjective this all is. I have the Sony A816 too, and the Zune is no more shrill than that DAP (with no EQ). Maybe it's the lack of EQ that bugs you. So far, it has not bothered me at all. We have an iPod in our household (17-year-old daughter's 30G 5g) and I don't find the EQ on that DAP particularly useful. None of the presets sound very good to me, in fact.

Interface-wise, I also prefer the Zune format, since it is large, and much less menu-tree dependent.

As for storage, for me filling 80GB of space is hard enough, so having 160 GB isn't a major issue right now - and in fact would require a new laptop even if I had enough music and video to fill 160GB. If you needed 160GB, why even bother with the Zune?

Sorry the Zune didn't work out for you, but I think your assessment was a little over the top. Any good reason you bought one in the first place? Doesn't seem to make sense, since you are so enamored with the iPod 160GB. Just curious.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #55 of 97
Another thing about the Zune -- I could hear the HD inside spin-up/down when starting/stopping, can't hear that with the iPod.

I remember trying the Zune with a few different headphones, and all of them had those high frequencies that hurt my ears a little. I suppose it is possible that it was defective.

The EQ sounds a lot better if you MP3Gain everything to 89dB, otherwise some clipping will sadly occur. I do wish they had added a hardware EQ rather than a software implementation.

The sad fact is that neither the Zune nor the iPod are perfect, far from it I would say. They both have a lot of minor issues that would be easy to fix if they would just do it. As it is right now though the iPod has the features I want/need (EQ, can be used as an external HD without any clumsy patches that require the Zune software to be installed, iTunes, easy line-out, etc.).

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't really need a line out.
The HP out is Cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

But what about impedance matching? The frequency response changes dramatically on the low end when you connect a 16 Ohm load and a High-Z load. I may be way off, but my understanding is that Line-outs are designed for High-Z loads (why a HP out sounds like crap on a car Aux-in and Line out sounds fine) and HP outs aren't.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #57 of 97
Jan 21, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #58 of 97
Indeed. Zune has a much darker, yet more lushous and involvig sound than the iPod does.
I will continue to use both, but again, as tstarn08 said, "shrill" is far from Zune's sound signature from my experience.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #59 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple iPod Classic (80GB, silver) Portable Video Player (PVP) reviews - CNET Reviews

I smacked a quarter against my ipods classic screen and I can 100% assure you I is hardend glass not plastic, cnet is wrong on that one. But don't worry I love my zune 80, all my gear just got stolen from me friday and I replaced my zune 80 first
biggrin.gif
I do have one small complaint, I can hear hard drive noises through the shure e4c I bought with it. I don't remember it with my other zune, but I was using less sensitive cans- denon c700, it is slightly annoying but I can live with it. The zune sound is one of the best I have heard!

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #60 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where did you get a 160 gig ipod for 250.00 ? And I think you might have had a defective unit, my zune sounded- sounds very smooth and had more dynamics and detail than my ipod classic. Software does suck big time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back