Zorloo Ztella USB C DAC impressions thread
Dec 15, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #46 of 393
Big fan of this dongle. I have the MQA version and it’s better than the other dongles I have (a Google one, an Apple one, Meizu non-pro and iBasso DC01).

No issues on my Pixel 3. I did have issues with my iPhone 11 Pro Max (using their USB C to lightning adapter) and iPad Pro 11”, but the firmware update released today fixed it.

The iBasso DC01 doesn’t have as black a background and the more sensitive the monitor the worse it is. No issues with the Ztella in that regard and it’s smaller and supports MQA, which I appreciate as a Tidal subscriber. My biggest gripe with it is the LED is pretty bright. Annoying when listening in the dark before bed. I have to flip it so the LED is facing backwards, but kind of defeats the purpose of having it.
Glad you're liking your Ztella over the DC01. For me, its the reverse :p

Did you do your Tidal listening thru Tidal's own native app or UAPP?

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #49 of 393
I haven’t listened to the DC01 in a while, so it’s more about the form and function versus the sound (outside of the DC01 being hiss prone). Ztella is smaller/more compact (and should have less battery drain), I can get the hardware volume buttons to work on the Pixel 3 with UAPP and Ztella, but couldn’t with DC01. MQA support and the indicator light is helpful. If I’m using a dongle it’s with my phone on the go/multi-tasking or as I’m going to sleep and I’m using my beater IEMs, so I’m not going to notice minor differences.

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #50 of 393
I haven’t listened to the DC01 in a while, so it’s more about the form and function versus the sound (outside of the DC01 being hiss prone). Ztella is smaller/more compact (and should have less battery drain), I can get the hardware volume buttons to work on the Pixel 3 with UAPP and Ztella, but couldn’t with DC01. MQA support and the indicator light is helpful. If I’m using a dongle it’s with my phone on the go/multi-tasking or as I’m going to sleep and I’m using my beater IEMs, so I’m not going to notice minor differences.
+1

The diff between no DAC and the Ztella is much bigger than most DACs, unless you spend a lot more money. And even then it depends on the source and the media being played back.

So to me form factor makes me use it, which makes we want to keep it.... The exact opposite was true of the mojo

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #52 of 393
Screenshot_20191210-183611_Samsung Internet.jpg
No mic or phone via Ztella. Tried on S9 and Note 10 plus.

Support says sorry.. Annoying but honestly I expected this based on previous experiences.
Thanks. I did even try on friends Huawei also not working. I just wonder why is not working .

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #53 of 393
hi Timesnow,

do you have any problem to switching to other app while playing music thru UAPP? mine is using Huawei P30 pro+Ztella MQA version facing the playing will stop. thank you.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #54 of 393
hi Timesnow,

do you have any problem to switching to other app while playing music thru UAPP? mine is using Huawei P30 pro+Ztella MQA version facing the playing will stop. thank you.

I don't think so. Let me try that now.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #55 of 393
No problems. Even browsing in Tidal or YouTube. No problems at all.

Also tried locally stored music, including MQA... No problems. In fact typing this while listening to locally stored MQA.

Samsung S9 and Note 10+.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #56 of 393
I've received mine today. Been initially listening to MQA tracks on my OnePlus 7T Pro. They sound really good, the difference with the non-MQA versions is very interesting. Sounds like they've minimized or disabled compressors, maybe even changed EQ. Stereo is wider and instrument separation much better, but often with a bit less bass as well. Still not sure what the whole unfolding system does.

Anyway, I found a problem with playing 44.1Khz audio in bit perfect mode (haven't tested other options yet, just discovered it), there are clicks which sound like dust specs on a record, some really loud. Seems like this might be the same problem as the Meizu Hifi DAC has (something about no ASYNC support IIRC). That would be really disappointing and frankly unacceptable for a device that retails at $99 and aims for quality audio.

EDIT: Still happening when disabling bit-perfect mode and resampling to 48Khz, just that it sounds like audio dropouts on digital TV now. So I guess it is not the same problem as with the Meizu.
EDIT2: No more audible clicks when resampling to 384Khz, though you shouldn't have to do this.
EDIT3: Restarting UAPP seems to fix this problem. Apparently it can get in an odd state if you plug the ZTella in while it is running.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #57 of 393
I've received mine today. Been initially listening to MQA tracks on my OnePlus 7T Pro. They sound really good, the difference with the non-MQA versions is very interesting. Sounds like they've minimized or disabled compressors, maybe even changed EQ. Stereo is wider and instrument separation much better, but often with a bit less bass as well. Still not sure what the whole unfolding system does.

Anyway, I found a problem with playing 44.1Khz audio in bit perfect mode (haven't tested other options yet, just discovered it), there are clicks which sound like dust specs on a record, some really loud. Seems like this might be the same problem as the Meizu Hifi DAC has (something about no ASYNC support IIRC). That would be really disappointing and frankly unacceptable for a device that retails at $99 and aims for quality audio.

EDIT: Still happening when disabling bit-perfect mode and resampling to 48Khz, just that it sounds like audio dropouts on digital TV now. So I guess it is not the same problem as with the Meizu.
EDIT2: No more audible clicks when resampling to 384Khz, though you shouldn't have to do this.
EDIT3: Restarting UAPP seems to fix this problem. Apparently it can get in an odd state if you plug the ZTella in while it is running.
Never had that issue on iMac, MBP, Samsung S9 or Note 10+.

Just so everyone knows.

And MQA is not just a codec but a process. It's done by artists and producers in the studio as part of post-production.

More info here

https://darko.audio/2016/06/an-inconvenient-truth-mqa-sounds-better/

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #58 of 393
No problems. Even browsing in Tidal or YouTube. No problems at all.

Also tried locally stored music, including MQA... No problems. In fact typing this while listening to locally stored MQA.

Samsung S9 and Note 10+.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you mine share me the setting of UAPP particular USB Audio Tweaks section and Buffer size? I will try that it might help. Thank you.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #59 of 393

Experienced the same with UAPP after updating to the new firmware ( I have the Meizu as well and would agree the clicks and pops mesound similar) With the Ztella, I changed the buffer size from 400 milliseconds to 600 and so far so good.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #60 of 393
Thank you for your feedback. Would you mine share me the setting of UAPP particular USB Audio Tweaks section and Buffer size? I will try that it might help. Thank you.
Screenshot_20191217-090231_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Screenshot_20191217-090246_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Screenshot_20191217-090622_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back