Zorloo Ztella USB C DAC impressions thread
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #226 of 393
I'm not sure how the folks saying it's 'plug-and-play' are getting that result. The only way I can listen to anything through my MQA version is to listen through the UAPP app on my Galaxy S9+. If I try to listen through Google Play, YouTube, etc. I get a constant popping noise.

I must say I haven't used it for anything other than listening to music through UAPP. I'll have yet to try it with YouTube. It does seem like it uses a very small buffer, which is nice for low latency but can cause drop-outs if new audio data takes too long to arrive.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #228 of 393
Yes, I noticed that as well, the sound-stage is like a really nice 3D sphere with the vocals in the middle, which makes them much less forward. I got used to it though. On the iBasso DC01 voices are more forward and in your head, but the sound-stage is almost one-dimensional from left to right, but quite wide though.
I will try to get used to it, I guess. It has been mainly an issue on songs with so many instruments on them that the vocals are less forward by default, and Ztella recedes them even further. Other than that, my impressions are positive. Occasionally, I get the "static click" when playing songs through UAPP, but increasing the buffer size, or simply restarting the UAPP application, seems to take care of this. No playback issues on the iPad. No playback issues on Windows either.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #229 of 393
I will try to get used to it, I guess. It has been mainly an issue on songs with so many instruments on them that the vocals are less forward by default, and Ztella recedes them even further. Other than that, my impressions are positive. Occasionally, I get the "static click" when playing songs through UAPP, but increasing the buffer size, or simply restarting the UAPP application, seems to take care of this. No playback issues on the iPad. No playback issues on Windows either.

I've had a few clicks on Windows when the computer was very busy calculating things.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #231 of 393
does anyone know if there is and promo discount on Zorloo? Someone mentioned that a first time buyer could get a discount
This isn't meant as a dig, 19 years a member but with very low posts. I note that as a compliment to the community that you still come around over such a long period of time which means head-fi is still relevant to you even after all of these years. Very cool.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #232 of 393
I'm a professional jazz bassist. (played on a couple of Grammy winning recordings) I'm a friend of Jude's. My trio played at the Chicago CanJam. I've recently taken a trip back to higher quality IEM's. It's like I tell audiophile friends. Research, listen to stuff. Make an informed decision. Buy Then don't read publications or go into a store for 5 years. I've retired from worldwide touring which I've done for 30 years. I now have a business where I design and manufacture very high end cabinets for bass players. Won numerous awards for my cabs at Namm shows and MusicMesse in Frankfort. I NEVER sit and listen to music. But I do listen all day while working. Which is why I'm back on the site. If you've ever heard of jazz vocalist Patricia Barber---I'm on most of her recordings.If I have time to sit around I practice bass.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #233 of 393
5Qvxwn.jpg

5QvHOB.jpg

just gonna put this here, mqa green is non authenticated mqa while blue is full mqa, ztella can tell them apart, from my own buy from hdtracks and the tidal ones in green mqa and the ones in blue mqa
the tested track i used was "the stage" by a7x

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #235 of 393
I'm a professional jazz bassist. (played on a couple of Grammy winning recordings) I'm a friend of Jude's. My trio played at the Chicago CanJam. I've recently taken a trip back to higher quality IEM's. It's like I tell audiophile friends. Research, listen to stuff. Make an informed decision. Buy Then don't read publications or go into a store for 5 years. I've retired from worldwide touring which I've done for 30 years. I now have a business where I design and manufacture very high end cabinets for bass players. Won numerous awards for my cabs at Namm shows and MusicMesse in Frankfort. I NEVER sit and listen to music. But I do listen all day while working. Which is why I'm back on the site. If you've ever heard of jazz vocalist Patricia Barber---I'm on most of her recordings.If I have time to sit around I practice bass.
Quite the resume, and yes indeed I have heard quite a bit of her material which means by extension I have heard quite a bit of your playing over the years as well. Thanks for sharing and if you are so inclined please PM me a link to your bass cabinet designing business as I would be very interested. Enjoy your version of retirement which sounds quite busy! If you value movement and portability and if you haven't already, I would strongly suggest you start looking into Bluetooth headphones. The KEF Spaceone Wireless come to mind. I think a trained musician would enjoy the tuning and sound quality.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #236 of 393
I thought you would enjoy two aspects of this image, the old school Pioneer HPM100 speakers and the new Yamaha Birch kit with Zildjian K Sweet cymbals. My brother and I have been playing the drums along to music using those speakers since the early 1980s! And yes that is a Paiste 20002 sitting on the floor.

thumbnail[1].jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #237 of 393
does anyone know if there is and promo discount on Zorloo? Someone mentioned that a first time buyer could get a discount
i do have the discount code cause i bought one, but im reserving it just in case i will buy another

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #238 of 393
Received my Dongle today, Only took 5 Days from HK to UK.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #240 of 393
I ordered one but maybe Chinese New Year might be a delivery obstacle.
normally you'll have to wait till 31st if you order these 2 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back