ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #511 of 1,126
Without wanting to disparage anyone in this thread, I often wonder if some of the 'hissing' issues are down to individual Tinnitus or other hearing issues. We are constantly surrounded by environmental noise - traffic, aircon, whatever - and the sensation of having IEMs blocking out everything in the outside world sometimes makes me acutely aware of my own breathing/heartbeat etc - not exactly 'hissing' (thankfully ..) but still uncomfortable.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #512 of 1,126
I do notice that if I plug in the chords or turn it on first (which I don't really remember), the ZO2 won't give me a sound which I have to turn everything off first then start plugging in everything.  If you guys know what I mean.

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #516 of 1,126

Quote:
Without wanting to disparage anyone in this thread, I often wonder if some of the 'hissing' issues are down to individual Tinnitus or other hearing issues. We are constantly surrounded by environmental noise - traffic, aircon, whatever - and the sensation of having IEMs blocking out everything in the outside world sometimes makes me acutely aware of my own breathing/heartbeat etc - not exactly 'hissing' (thankfully ..) but still uncomfortable.

While I can't speak for others, I'm positive I haven't imagined the hiss with the hje900's, they're a very hiss-prone pair of IEM's. Even when I had the E11 it was the only pair that had audible hiss with the amp. Others such as the meelec a151's and m6 were silent, but you could really hear it with the hje's.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #517 of 1,126
I just bought a pair of ultrasone 2900s.  Their impedance is low, so they are an easy pair of headphones to drive (40ohms).  I have them plugged into my denon 591 receiver and they sound fantastic.  I just would like to give them some more oomph so I'm hoping that if I connect the Digizoid between the headphone jack and my headphones, my listening experience will improve.

Anyways...I'm so on the fence between Fiio 11 and Digizoid.  I'm waitng for more digizoid recall reviews.  I want digizoid for the new sound modification technologies, but I also would like the Fiio because it has high gain and low gain settings.  I don't know which would be a better marriage for my 2900. :)

Any ideas?

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #518 of 1,126
I have mild to moderate tinnitus and could hear the hiss over the normal ringing I have.  When I swapped out my IEMs for less sensitive cans the hiss was gone.  I realize that the hiss was easily masked by the music but a blacker background improves the quality of the vocal and dynamic music that I like.

Quote:

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #519 of 1,126
I got my "fixed" ZO2 back and it is a mixed bag. The hiss is greatly lessened, but now the unit does not amplify. It is a volume limiter. They also disabled the pass though mode and I miss it a lot.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #520 of 1,126

Quote:

Nope! It is a hiss, for sure. And it is 2 or 3 times louder than FiiO E5. I thought I would never notice the hiss with music playing, but with quiet music I can hear the hiss with MEElectronics A151. I will try another IEMs later today... 

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #522 of 1,126
Still waiting on my ZO 2 V.2 
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #523 of 1,126
I'd rather stay with my (nearly non-existant hiss) and keep my amplification and bypass mode than have my Zo2 "fixed".
Maybe I'll try sending once they get to "revision 3" or something.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #524 of 1,126

Quote:
I'd rather stay with my (nearly non-existant hiss) and keep my amplification and bypass mode than have my Zo2 "fixed".
Maybe I'll try sending once they get to "revision 3" or something.

I'm with you on this choice... Will keep it just like it is right now, and wait for future revisions from DigiZoid...

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #525 of 1,126
I got my RMA number from digizoid but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do now.  I don't care about bypass mode but am concerned about lack of amplification with the revised ZO 2.  My unit is actually pretty decent, as it doesn't have too much hiss and no popping when powering off/on so I'm afraid of getting something "worse" when I get it back.  

For those of you that did the exchange -- is amplification completely removed or just reduced?

Decisions...
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back