ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Sep 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #106 of 1,522
My most recent purchase was a used IE800, which I am in love with.  I'm pretty much down to if I do buy a closed headphone in the near future, it'll most likely be the Vibro.  Everything I've read makes me think I'll enjoy it, plus it looks amazing.  I'll probably email him next month about it, seeing that if he says no, I'll most likely decide if I'm ordering one then.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #107 of 1,522

I got my vibro...
First few hours already and can tell these are very musically involving.
Wew, I made a good choice!
wink.gif

Edit:
Some Initial impressions:
Spooky realistic cues & depth.
Body, organic timbre and instrument separation very apparent.
Mids are probably it's strength as it just sounds real and supple.
These cans are not broken in yet but they suck you in fast (!)
It seems a bit closer sound than an open can yet very large because of height and depth and width..
Hmm could be a bit brighter than neutral and yet mids & bass are very well done..
All bass plugs off it sounds nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Need to break in and compare to my he560 as a reference to tell for sure where this can sits but for now enjoying the music...

Ok I don't think I ever herd a can change so quickly.

The slight brightness is gone and the bass increased where I plugged in one hole and have two holes opened and it's very large sounding..

I have to add this is the first closed can I ever herd that doesn't have a "closed" sound because the soundstage and involvement making a very sonically believable impression.
Very impressive they can sound this large, dimensional and spacious.
Realism and liveliness are high.

The ambience and delicacy make my mp3s are sounding like flac files and there is no sibilance. .
Stark contrast to my hd800 that can make some music sound harsh..
Have not directly compared yet.
hard to take off a new can that is this musical. .

Hey I wanted to ask if you feel like this is an overly dark headhone like one of the ZMF's other model? I like a little treble(smooth is good too though) I was just wondering, I have these to try out on the way. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #108 of 1,522
What is not really known but much appreciated is how beautiful I comes in the hard box with huge padding inside and the special card that comes inside with the specific options you chose for your unit and give impression of being very personalized for you and the letters "Vibro" on the inside of the leather band this version exudes quality above any others which seem more generic in comparison and the wood tone is very rich in appearance you hold it and is more impressive than most stock wood cans and is on par with other nice custom wood cans.
Anyway I just wanted to point out that buying it new is a great experience. .

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #109 of 1,522
Hey I wanted to ask if you feel like this is an overly dark headhone like one of the ZMF's other model? I like a little treble(smooth is good too though) I was just wondering, I have these to try out on the way. 

Well the trebles are good for me and smooth yes.
They have plenty trebles yet not harsh or bright sounding.

I haven't herd the other zmf cans so I don't know.
I only compared them to others and can't say how sound will change as they are not fully burned in,
But I would say it has even bass with mids but not very bassy or very dark with all holes open.
I would say they are a midrange specialty can as they do the mids like the Audio Technica woodies I had as they have palpable depth to the stage.
The trebles are not recessed & actually very balanced and overall but very smooth and detailed.

They are not like a maddog/AlphaDogs as the wood seems to give life to the mids.
To me the AlphaDogs were almost lean and a bit sterile or flat but had great detail as well.

The bass with all holes open is of a nice hard/solid type almost not like most planars which to me is kind of "fatter & softer", for lack of better words.
Overall a very impressive can but soundstage is more of a neutral or intimate with depth, rather than larger or far away soundstage. .
The problem is that my cans don't have enough hours break in so I believe the bass will get stronger will all holes opened and as is I would put one plug in for my tastes.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #110 of 1,522
Agreed that Zach is great to work with. I've thoroughly enjoyed our lengthy discussions over the past couple months or so. He also told me he'd be willing to re-tune a headphone if a customer found something lacking or not to their tastes, which is excellent IMO!

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #111 of 1,522
Agreed that Zach is great to work with. I've thoroughly enjoyed our lengthy discussions over the past couple months or so. He also told me he'd be willing to re-tune a headphone if a customer found something lacking or not to their tastes, which is excellent IMO!

He told me this as well as before I had asked for a more bassy version.
He said no problem for free(!),
but as I burned mine in I felt it was unnecessary
:)

Edit:
Another surprise which is a plus is the sensitivity is pretty high compared to the other types I tried..

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #112 of 1,522
Can anyone compare these to the HE-400? 

I currently own the HE-400 and am looking to upgrade to another planar. I was thinking HE-560 but the price on these is much better and they have the bonus of being usable at work. Basically, I'm looking for something with similar bass and soundstaging as the HE-400 but fuller mids and no fatiguing treble. Seems like I'm on the right track here? 

If anyone could give more detail on the following vs. HE-400 I'd appreciate it.

Bass--quantity, extension, texture, slam
Soundstage-- general size, ability of sounds to seem like they are outside the headphones (i love those moments when i pause the music to check because i think i heard something behind me)
Imaging/ layering
Resolution and detail retrieval

I will be using a Concero and Project Ember.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #113 of 1,522
Can anyone compare these to the HE-400? 

I currently own the HE-400 and am looking to upgrade to another planar. I was thinking HE-560 but the price on these is much better and they have the bonus of being usable at work. Basically, I'm looking for something with similar bass and soundstaging as the HE-400 but fuller mids and no fatiguing treble. Seems like I'm on the right track here? 

If anyone could give more detail on the following vs. HE-400 I'd appreciate it.

Bass--quantity, extension, texture, slam

Soundstage-- general size, ability of sounds to seem like they are outside the headphones (i love those moments when i pause the music to check because i think i heard something behind me)

Imaging/ layering

Resolution and detail retrieval

I will be using a Concero and Project Ember.

I dont think there is a better option on a closed back. This with all ports open will hit as hard as the 400 but the 400 may have the tighter bass. Besides that these are an upgrade.

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #115 of 1,522
I just wanted wanted to let everyone who is on the fence with this headphone, that after listening to the one I demoed I have to be honest, and frank here. I am totally in love with the sound signature, I have two plugs in on each side and it sounds perfectly detailed, rich and smooth, spacious( for a closed phone) with nice deep bass extension, detailed and engaging mid range, and a smooth and enjoyable treble. I have not missed my HD600s at all, though I prefer open cans and love them, but this phone really does it all very well for me. It is very aesthetically pleasing and so comfortable, and I have a big skull and sensitive ears.  This being said I have to say Zach knows what he is doing and  think he has done a great thing for the community with this headphone at this price. Rock on man you did something great. Now this just me being all passionate and happy with this new sound, but once I listen for a bit more and make some comparisons to the Closed back T70p which is in a similar price range, and perhaps against the open back HD600s I will do a more detailed review on how I feel about this sound quality in comparison. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #116 of 1,522
@WhiskeyJacks - dude, the first sentence made me worried, as I just pulled the trigger on them :wink: Can't wait when I get them, but that can be a while since I live in Europe. Anyway, I'm really excited, as I was searching for a closed can similar to the LCD-2F and tried so many (even LCD-XC), which didn't satisfy me...

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #118 of 1,522
No, haven't heard those. And I should have my full review up in the next few days. I just got a Paradox Slant loaner in from a fellow poster to compare with the ZxV, though.

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #120 of 1,522
No, haven't heard those. And I should have my full review up in the next few days. I just got a Paradox Slant loaner in from a fellow poster to compare with the ZxV, though.

nice! Looking forward to it. I have been wanting to hear those slants but could never find the courage to pay 700 for the same parts as the original t50. Some of my money needs to go to aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back