ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Nov 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #361 of 1,522
I'm very interested in buying a pair of Blackwoods, but I'm a little unsure about the cable and ZPEX options. Can anyone give a comparison?  For example, is the extra $ for the OCC Braided worth it? I'd appreciate any comments or views. Thanks.
[/quote

i have Both the standard cable with 4pin Xlr, and an OCC Hybrid silver and Copper Cable. which I believe I Was the first person to have Zach make me one.

Subjectively I am convinced That the Silver and copper help with clarity and detail and is an upgrade over the stock One by Far

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #363 of 1,522
zmf x blackwood

listening more,random thoughts and experience:

This bass is very solid and has little to no bloat. Those that don't like midbass humps will appreciate these. I'm admittedly a basshead, even though I don't only use basshead phones, and these have solid deep bass. Def not basshead in qty but down low it grips like a vice. The bass has a very nice focus on the Blackwood. Actually everything sounds focused.  

It has an effortless sound to it. Some songs sounded like they need to bloom a little bit at first. But the more I listen I feel as if it is releasing the fullness of the notes and they don't seem as dampened. Could be brain burn in or the likes. 

I think that I have a problem with judging the treble in headphones, or I hear high frequencies well so dark to some is right to me. I do not hear these as very dark headphones like I heard mentioned before where someone said " I defy you to find a darker headphone" while commenting on its sound after a meet. My MH40 is a little darker than this(slightly dark as well at times). I can still understand it being dark but I am sure it is less so than the dark kings out there.

Even though its not as aggressive as the Vibro, it doesn't sound diffuse and the instruments are just showing up all over the place in my head in a good way. Its still a bit intimate in that it has a hint of lushness  and warmth to it and isn't super airy, but it is the furthest from being congested. Those that like large sized sound space in headphones will be satisfied here. The sound space makes me not want an inch more in width. The ZxV at times was a bit full sounding, even though it had a decent headspace, was sometimes a bit too robust for carefree listening. This never feels like too much of a good thing, yet doesn't hold back a lot either.

The blackwood is like the girl that you think you want to marry after a few dates because she tells you the truth, doesn't let it all out on the first date, tells you she is serious, but flirts a bit and is dead sexy! More of a mature, unoffensive listen than most of the headphones I have had here, but a serious and one that still has that planar weight we like. 

At first I honestly wasn't sure about the tuning, because I missed what I remember of the more forward mids of the Vibro (which will be here soon to confirm my impressions). But these tuck back just a shade while still being able to be called a full midrange. The presentation is  little more reserved but not dry (in terms of natural reverb that is welcomed) and has bit of pep to it in a way that most will find just right. 

I don't know if it is more detailed than the vibro, or the presentation is making me notice different details than I did before. The verdict is out on that, as well as if I feel it needs a little more bloom in the middle mids. But I honestly have grown tired of trying to analayze this headphone. This set makes me forget trying to figure it out because it sounds right. Another thing it is doing is making not care to have another open one at this moment. Even though I always like to try stuff on my rig, it can very well be another closed instead of an open back. While I won't say it sounds all the way like an open back, it scratches that itch for me.

I am reaaallllllly liking this headphone and the more I listen I am finding its tuning to be a wise choice by Zach. The bas-mids-highs transition is fluent. Cohesive would be the word for this headphone, as all of the frequencies flow together to give a mature, confident listen. 

Post rock sounds really good on the ZXV. 

When the sounds rush in on this song, it is with full projection, but not overwhelming and the sub bass is very much present. The reverb on the vocals are clean and grainless even against the added distortion on the bass.

Excuse the mess of a read this is. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #364 of 1,522
Thanks for more impressions. I can't wait until I get my blackwoods hopefully in the next few weeks

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #365 of 1,522
I've just ordered my ZxV, I'm eager to listen to it ! At first I was going for the Blackwood with all options (burst, case & ZPEX rewire) but a personal matter couldn't make it happen. Still I'm totally sure the ZxV will be stunning ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a real pleasure to have business with Zach, really a friendly, comprehensive and profesionnal person ! I will recommand him to my friends without a doubt !

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #366 of 1,522
can the blackwood also be custom tuned like what Zach offers with other vibro, as I remember once there was a discussion that he can custom tune things, from grizzly review I would ask to have more bass added if I want to order one

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #368 of 1,522
can the blackwood also be custom tuned like what Zach offers with other vibro, as I remember once there was a discussion that he can custom tune things, from grizzly review I would ask to have more bass added if I want to order one

I think to some point, it should be possible - I asked him to take a special look at the high frequencies, as I'm very sensitive to any sharpness, and I got some additional dampening material.

I've just received the Cayin C5 and after 1h I'm very positively surprised. Not exactly what sure, what they changed in the sound, but everything seems nicer, smoother and even more engaging. Everybody says the amp sounds better after proper burn in, so I can't wait to hear that.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #369 of 1,522
  Can someone tell me, does the wooden cup and the ports make the vibro more sound leaking than regular T50rp ?

The t50rp is technically a semi open headphone. The small ports on the Vibro make it barely open and would be considered a fully closed headphone. However the t50rp with shure 1540 pads leak less than the Vibro but not by much. This is only from what I remember a while back when I had both together. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #370 of 1,522
I received the ZMF Blackwood upgrade back today.  Initial impressions are, bass is as they were described, tight and more than the X Vibro.  Also, the soundstage is a bit wider and more expansive.  I am fine with both of those things, but I am also hearing a brighter treble, I don't know if that will agree with my listening taste.  The treble is making the overall sound more dynamic and harder hitting, and the lush midrange has gone.  I wish I had an X Vibro here for comparison, so I knew exactly what the differences are.  Anyone with both the X Vibro and ZMF Blackwood on hand for some comparisons!

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #371 of 1,522
I wonder if part of that is just break in required?

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #373 of 1,522
Ooops, I guess break in is not the case. 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #375 of 1,522
  Ooops, I guess break in is not the case. 
confused_face_2.gif

Zach just told me that even though he reuses the driver for an upgrade they still need 100hrs burn in, if that doesn't work they will need a retune.  Also having bad microphonics on the left side only, hmmmm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back