ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Nov 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #376 of 1,522
  Ishcabible has both and will be able to confirm impressions. So far impressions are that the blackwood is a hint darker, with less bass qty but better sub bass.

I'm sure not finding the Blackwood as a hint darker.....I am hearing harshness in the lower treble, treble sounds brighter overall than what I remember from the X Vibro!

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #378 of 1,522
I'm sure not finding the Blackwood as a hint darker.....I am hearing harshness in the lower treble, treble sounds brighter overall than what I remember from the X Vibro!

Hmm really? I actually hadn't used the Vibros in about a month because I thought they were kind of harsh to me, whereas I don't hear that with the Blackwood. Though Zach did do a number of revisions for the Vibros. I distinctly remember there was a very dark tuning at one point.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #379 of 1,522

Hmm really? I actually hadn't used the Vibros in about a month because I thought they were kind of harsh to me, whereas I don't hear that with the Blackwood. Though Zach did do a number of revisions for the Vibros. I distinctly remember there was a very dark tuning at one point.

Zach told me the Blackwood upgrade needed 100hrs burn in, do they change after that?  I am finding that vocals are too much in my face, quite different than what I remember the X Vibro!  He suggested that if they didn't change that he would do a retune.  He claims the wood needs to break in with the parts that were changed.  I've been pounding these with loud music like he suggested.  Also, microphonics on the left side of the Blackwoods is pretty bad, Zach said it's the difference in the wood.  What are your thoughts on the changes from X Vibro to Blackwood?

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #380 of 1,522

Zach told me the Blackwood upgrade needed 100hrs burn in, do they change after that?  I am finding that vocals are too much in my face, quite different than what I remember the X Vibro!  He suggested that if they didn't change that he would do a retune.  He claims the wood needs to break in with the parts that were changed.  I've been pounding these with loud music like he suggested.  Also, microphonics on the left side of the Blackwoods is pretty bad, Zach said it's the difference in the wood.  What are your thoughts on the changes from X Vibro to Blackwood?

Now this I can definitely say is different from what I am hearing. I am 100% on that. The vocals are less forward on the blackwood as a result of the midrange being more flat and less lush. 

Also the microphonics should not be coming from the headphones like that. I hear no ringing or rustling, the cord is braided. With the new tuning and rewire done inside of the set, there still shouldn't be any. Check and see what frequency range you are hearing it at, midrange, bass, treble. I would just send it back.

As far as sound goes, my blackwood is neither really bright, or very forward in the vocals but it does have a very strong center image.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #381 of 1,522
Could be fit/seal issues and variance between the ZxV and Blackwood. If you haven't, I'd spend time adjusting the headband until you know they fit perfectly. They're the type of headphone that can be difficult in this regard. But, if you'd done so already, then I suppose check the damping in front of the driver? (Assuming there is some on the Blackwood.)

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #382 of 1,522

Now this I can definitely say is different from what I am hearing. I am 100% on that. The vocals are less forward on the blackwood as a result of the midrange being more flat and less lush. 

Also the microphonics should not be coming from the headphones like that. I hear no ringing or rustling, the cord is braided. With the new tuning and rewire done inside of the set, there still shouldn't be any. Check and see what frequency range you are hearing it at, midrange, bass, treble. I would just send it back.

As far as sound goes, my blackwood is neither really bright, or very forward in the vocals but it does have a very strong center image.

I've tried adding the felt pads from my Alpha Dogs to the Blackwood.....still no joy!  They're headed back to Zach tomorrow so he can look at the microphonics, and find where that end game sound is!  My Blackwood doesn't sound like what is being described here.   It's definitely not the seal....my AD sounds dark and smooth in comparison!

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #383 of 1,522
 They're headed back to Zach tomorrow

Thanks Cute, I'll check them out and get you all set-up. 
gs1000.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #384 of 1,522

I wonder how these will turn out in the end!!! 
biggrin.gif

those are the vibros getting ready to be beside the new flagship.  I honestly haven't been listening to a lot of music lately.  Been occupied otherwise. So I will have fresh ears on everything. 

I pretty much want to start listening to them like it was my first time.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #386 of 1,522

biggrin.gif

those are the vibros getting ready to be beside the new flagship.  I honestly haven't been listening to a lot of music lately.  Been occupied otherwise. So I will have fresh ears on everything. 

Why would you want the Vibro, when you have the flagship?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #388 of 1,522

biggrin.gif

because I like both. Like I mentioned in my posts that they operate separate lanes. Even though the blackwood has better technicalities, it doesn't eliminate it. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #389 of 1,522

It's more like an HD650/HD600 thing. I could totally understand having both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back