ZMF Verite Open
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #4,021 of 9,511
Hello All, have any of you used the Darkvoice OTL with the Verite? Not necessarily with the stock tubes, as I understand they are not worth a damn. Appreciate any thoughts for or against this pairing.
Thank you
Bueller, Buelller....

I am well aware that this amp is not even a price appropriate category for the Verite, but reading all the recommendations on using an OTL I am genuinely curious if this would be a suitable option in the short term. If not, any suggestions around $500? My intention is to upgrade in a year, hence a short term cost option.
Appreciate any consideration.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #4,022 of 9,511
Bueller, Buelller....

I am well aware that this amp is not even a price appropriate category for the Verite, but reading all the recommendations on using an OTL I am genuinely curious if this would be a suitable option in the short term. If not, any suggestions around $500? My intention is to upgrade in a year, hence a short term cost option.

Feliks Echo!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #4,024 of 9,511
So I’m an admitted soundstage snob. I like a large canvas for my music. I don’t know why it really matters that much to me, but it does. So where does that leave my Verite?

Here’s where it gets interesting. The Verite does not have the widest/largest soundstage I’ve ever heard. I would still give that top spot to the Sennheiser 800/800S.

BUT the Verite throws a monkey wrench in the system by introducing an intensifier, that I will call immersion. This is new to me, because the 800S were always my gold standard for soundstage, so I just assumed that is what also made them the most immersive listening experience as well.

And that is where I’m wrong. Dead wrong. As much as I thought I loved my 800S, with that gloriously expansive soundstage and all, I have never experienced with them what I keep experiencing with my Verite. And that is getting so lost in the experience that the music goes from, just sounding wide and deep, to completely enveloping you to the point where it sounds like there are no longer any physical barriers to it. It’s as if the earcups have dissolved away and the music is now coming at you from a disembodied 5.1 speaker setup. It’s like a virtual reality acid trip.

So when I read about people calling the Verite 3D and holographic, I think I finally know what they’re really saying. They’re saying the Verite is the most immersive headphone they’ve heard. At least that’s my interpretation based on my experience with them.

So in conclusion, I’m simply saying that the Verite is my new gold standard for soundstage. It has surpassed the Sennheiser 800/800S because of the “immersive factor” that it also brings to the table. So if you had an 800S and a Verite side by side, and did a quick back and forth, I think most people would say the Sennheiser has the larger stage. But take them home and listen to them independently for an extended period of time, and then see what happens.

For me, the Verite has been an eye-opener and a game-changer. It has a never-experienced-before way of sucking you into the music to the point where you begin to question reality (without the use of any drugs).

So thank you ZMF :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #4,025 of 9,511
So I’m an admitted soundstage snob. I like a large canvas for my music. I don’t know why it really matters that much to me, but it does. So where does that leave my Verite?

Here’s where it gets interesting. The Verite does not have the widest/largest soundstage I’ve ever heard. I would still give that top spot to the Sennheiser 800/800S.

BUT the Verite throws a monkey wrench in the system by introducing an intensifier, that I will call immersion. This is new to me, because the 800S were always my gold standard for soundstage, so I just assumed that is what also made them the most immersive listening experience as well.

And there is where I’m wrong. Dead wrong. As much as I thought I loved my 800S, with that gloriously expansive soundstage and all, I have never experienced with them what I keep experiencing with my Verite. And that is getting so lost in the experience that the music goes from, just sounding wide and deep, to completely enveloping you to the point where it sounds like there are no longer any physical barriers to it. It’s as if the earcups have dissolved away and the music is now coming at you from a disembodied 5.1 speaker setup. It’s like a virtual reality acid trip.

So when I read about people calling the Verite 3D and holographic, I think I finally know what they’re really saying. They’re saying the Verite is the most immersive headphone they’ve heard. At least that’s my interpretation based on my experience with them.

So in conclusion, I’m simply saying that the Verite is my new gold standard for soundstage. It has surpassed the Sennheiser 800/800S because of the “immersive factor” that it also brings to the table. So if you had an 800S and a Verite side by side, and did a quick back and forth, I think most people would say the Sennheiser has the larger stage. But take them home and listen to them independently for an extended period of time, and then see what happens.

For me, the Verite has been an eye-opener and a game-changer. It has a never-experienced-before way of sucking you into the music to the point where you begin to question reality (without the use of any drugs).

So thank you ZMF :)

I will attribute this for the superb resolution.
Most dynamic drivers struggle with the bass reigon and you can "hear their effort", and once you've heard it you lose the immersion and you would be like: "oh there are drivers playing music next to my ears" instead of music playing by itself.

Also the Verite has a very natural timbre and somewhat natural tonal balance, and this helps making them "disappear".

Very colored or unnatural timbre headphones will always impose their character on the music and it's very hard to forget about them and focus on the music.
For example the Elex does impose their sharp notes on every sound, the Ananda are always compressed sounding in the bass and very soft and rounded notes in general, the HE1000se is very soft sounding too and the notes are also lightweight in nature, the Verite timbre? maybe some cup reverb and that's it.
And that cup reverb is also more natural to how speakers sound on a well treated room, most open backs headphones sound like listening in anechoic chamber, no reverb at all except for the bass.

Kudos to Zack for making this special headphones ❤.

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #4,026 of 9,511
I will attribute this for the superb resolution.
Most dynamic drivers struggle with the bass reigon and you can "hear their effort", and once you've heard it you lose the immersion and you would be like: "oh there are drivers playing music next to my ears" instead of music playing by itself.

Also the Verite has a very natural timbre and somewhat natural tonal balance, and this helps making them "disappear".

Very colored or unnatural timbre headphones will always impose their character on the music and it's very hard to forget about them and focus on the music.
For example the Elex does impose their sharp notes on every sound, the Ananda are always compressed sounding in the bass and very soft and rounded notes in general, the HE1000se is very soft sounding too and the notes are also lightweight in nature, the Verite timbre? maybe some cup reverb and that's it.
And that cup reverb is also more natural to how speakers sound on a well treated room, most open backs headphones sound like listening in anechoic chamber, no reverb at all except for the bass.

Kudos to Zack for making this special headphones ❤.

Very well said. You make several good points. I was just about to say that I’ve heard many high end headphones that have excellent resolution. I used to own the he1000se, Final d8000, and LCD 4Z, for example. Plus I would say the 800/800S also have TOTL resolution. But none of those do to me what the Verite does. They don’t hypnotize me to the point where I feel like I’m being wrapped in the music like a sonic blanket.

So I think you’re on to something. Maybe it’s because of the combination of all of those traits you mentioned above. They let you just “let go” and relax to the point that the musical experience becomes hyper real.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #4,027 of 9,511
Bueller, Buelller....

I can't speak to how the Verite would perform on these, nor can I speak exclusively to OTLs, so this reply will be of dubious utility at best. However, I can relay some research I did in that price category and provide the path I took when I got into tubes.

I wanted something in that price range that would tell me what tubes sound like on my Aeolus and Auteur. OTL or OTC, I just wanted to figure out what people were talking about when they described tubes. I didn't have any place in my head to hang all the lingo that people used. Potentially to get started, and potentially endgame, depending on what I liked. ~$400-500 just seemed like a really solid price point. I had considered the Darkvoice, the BH Crack, and the ZDT Jr.

Several folks I trust steered me away from the Darkvoice, citing that it's a fire hazard. That ended my consideration pretty quickly. I don't have much further details than that, other than I have a possibly irrational fear of my house burning down. Supposedly modifications to it can improve its sound and safety, but that would require a large monetary/time investment.

People laud the BH Crack, and apparently for good reason. I want one, still. However, I knew that if I bought one, I'd get way into buying all the best DIY parts for it to make it sound as good as it can. And that would turn a "stopgap" investment into something much more. And I knew that even the BH Crack would have a performance ceiling on it, such that if I liked tubes that much I'd eventually want to upgrade to one of their more expensive options.

Where I landed was the ZDT Jr. Something that works great with stock tubes out of the box, and would either fit the bill for my "endgame go-to tube amp" or a starting point for a future upgrade. It sounded fantastic. It did something with the stage that I couldn't even make my much nicer solid-state amp do. Didn't have to tube roll, didn't have to tweak anything inside it (since I got the more recent version with the hum fix), and it was cute as a button. Even took it into the office to let my colleagues listen to it.

Was it a good choice? Well, it made me fall in love with tubes, I purchased a Dragon Inspire IHA-1, and now have a location in my desk I refer to as "the tube drawer", so yes, I think it was a good choice.

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4,028 of 9,511
I can't speak to how the Verite would perform on these, nor can I speak exclusively to OTLs, so this reply will be of dubious utility at best. However, I can relay some research I did in that price category and provide the path I took when I got into tubes.

I wanted something in that price range that would tell me what tubes sound like on my Aeolus and Auteur. OTL or OTC, I just wanted to figure out what people were talking about when they described tubes. I didn't have any place in my head to hang all the lingo that people used. Potentially to get started, and potentially endgame, depending on what I liked. ~$400-500 just seemed like a really solid price point. I had considered the Darkvoice, the BH Crack, and the ZDT Jr.

Several folks I trust steered me away from the Darkvoice, citing that it's a fire hazard. That ended my consideration pretty quickly. I don't have much further details than that, other than I have a possibly irrational fear of my house burning down. Supposedly modifications to it can improve its sound and safety, but that would require a large monetary/time investment.

People laud the BH Crack, and apparently for good reason. I want one, still. However, I knew that if I bought one, I'd get way into buying all the best DIY parts for it to make it sound as good as it can. And that would turn a "stopgap" investment into something much more. And I knew that even the BH Crack would have a performance ceiling on it, such that if I liked tubes that much I'd eventually want to upgrade to one of their more expensive options.

Where I landed was the ZDT Jr. Something that works great with stock tubes out of the box, and would either fit the bill for my "endgame go-to tube amp" or a starting point for a future upgrade. It sounded fantastic. It did something with the stage that I couldn't even make my much nicer solid-state amp do. Didn't have to tube roll, didn't have to tweak anything inside it (since I got the more recent version with the hum fix), and it was cute as a button. Even took it into the office to let my colleagues listen to it.

Was it a good choice? Well, it made me fall in love with tubes, I purchased a Dragon Inspire IHA-1, and now have a location in my desk I refer to as "the tube drawer", so yes, I think it was a good choice.

First off, thank so much for sharing your journey. It is very similar to what I’ve been thinking about, and appreciate how you laid out the decision making process. A stop-gap is not the right approach for me either, and that was what I was doing. I will take your suggestion of the ZDT jr and add it to my list.
Thanks again.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #4,029 of 9,511
First off, thank so much for sharing your journey. It is very similar to what I’ve been thinking about, and appreciate how you laid out the decision making process. A stop-gap is not the right approach for me either, and that was what I was doing. I will take your suggestion of the ZDT jr and add it to my list.
Thanks again.
It's my pleasure! I hope it helps.

But be warned, that rabbit hole is deep.

tubes.jpg

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4,030 of 9,511
Apr 3, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #4,031 of 9,511
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4,033 of 9,511
Bueller, Buelller....

I got a used Valhalla 2 to tide me over until I get a Glenn. I've rolled a few different sets of tubes recommended on the Valhalla thread. I'm finding a wider soundstage than with my Hugo 2 with my current tubes (Voshkod Rocket NOS). I'm still at under $400 even with a new set of stock tubes and 4 others (3 for 6N1P and 1 6N6P).

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #4,034 of 9,511
I got a used Valhalla 2 to tide me over until I get a Glenn. I've rolled a few different sets of tubes recommended on the Valhalla thread. I'm finding a wider soundstage than with my Hugo 2 with my current tubes (Voshkod Rocket NOS). I'm still at under $400 even with a new set of stock tubes and 4 others (3 for 6N1P and 1 6N6P).
Thanks, another interesting approach. I’m going to have to learn more about tubes, it may be a good distraction while I wait for my order.

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #4,035 of 9,511

Users who are viewing this thread

Back