ZMF Verite Open
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #4,052 of 9,521
Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this particular question but ZMF doesn't seem to have an official dealer in Canada and I'm still really keen on ordering a Verite. I typically try to avoid FedEx and DHL like the plague when shipping from USA to Canada. They can sometimes charge up to 50% of the items cost plus the tax as a brokerage fee. Complete robbery. Have any of you had experience shipping with ZMF into Canada and what was your final cost?
I have ordered 3 pairs direct from ZMF and have got dinged with customs and taxes every time. For my Auteurs and Atticus it was a couple hundred dollars. You could use a forwarding service or just accept it as the cost of getting some amazing headphones from a small company. I definitely feel that it was worth it but that would be up to you. Right now the exchange rate is so bad I am trying to avoid any USD purchases until it gets better.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #4,053 of 9,521
I would like to buy a couple of cushions to make my Verite 'open really perfect. I don't like Verite cushions while I like Universal Lambskin Perforated much more. I read that many of you love universal suede but I noticed that there are 3 types. All suede, half leather and half suede, perforated suede and leather and perforated suede. What is the most suitable for a warm listening, rich in details but euphonic and non-linear?

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #4,054 of 9,521
I would like to buy a couple of cushions to make my Verite 'open really perfect. I don't like Verite cushions while I like Universal Lambskin Perforated much more. I read that many of you love universal suede but I noticed that there are 3 types. All suede, half leather and half suede, perforated suede and leather and perforated suede. What is the most suitable for a warm listening, rich in details but euphonic and non-linear?

The non perforated pads are not recommended for Verite Open so based oh Zach's suggestion, I didn't continue my order.

There's no sound difference (to me anyway) between Perf. Universe hybrid lamb/suede and Perf. Universe lambskin. The only difference with is the contact surface. Instead of lambskin, it's suede. This is my go to pads when I'm using brighter tube like NOS 6CG7 RCA Clear top and Sylvania Bad Boy. The combinations provide good details, tamed lows a bit and still, very pleasing to hear.

The Perf. Universe Suede is my favorite pad. When combined with the warmer tube (Psvane CV181-T Mk.2), it tames both the lows and highs while maintaining the detail on mids/vocal. If your equipment chain already provide you with the sound you're looking for with the Perf. Universe Lambskin, stick with it or go for the hybrid if you like the suede feels on your face. If you're looking for more neutral sound presentation, go with the Perf. Universe Suede.

Hope that helps.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #4,055 of 9,521
ASdsKdW.jpg

I received my LTD Purplewood two days ago ... it sounds fantastic, not to mention the looks of the wood!

I have a couple of questions for Zach:
- How many Purplewood have been built?
- Have you already decided which wood you'll use in the next LTD?

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #4,059 of 9,521
I am strongly thinking about two options to go to max out the abilities of my Verites - can you give me some insight, if you already went that route:

- DAC + an OTL amp (Chord Qutest with a Feliks Euforia f.e.)
- Chord Hugo TT2 (and adding later an M-Scaler) - I did not find much about that combo

Im not sure this will be very helpful feedback but I’ll provide it just in case...

I enjoy my Verite Closed out of my MScaler/TT2 more than I enjoyed the pairing with the VO. Not that that VO was lacking but the VC has a lot more energy and is more frontal with my pairing.

I also used to have a Qutest with a Liquid Platinum (not OTL) and that was such a fun pairing. I could see a Qutest with an OTL amp, tube rolling, and a VO being a lot of fun.

Apr 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #4,060 of 9,521
Im not sure this will be very helpful feedback but I’ll provide it just in case...

I enjoy my Verite Closed out of my MScaler/TT2 more than I enjoyed the pairing with the VO. Not that that VO was lacking but the VC has a lot more energy and is more frontal with my pairing.

I also used to have a Qutest with a Liquid Platinum (not OTL) and that was such a fun pairing. I could see a Qutest with an OTL amp, tube rolling, and a VO being a lot of fun.
I would think the opposite. I would prefer the brighter/more neutral sounding rig with the VO and the more laidback/warmer sounding rig with the VC.

Apr 10, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #4,061 of 9,521
I would think the opposite. I would prefer the brighter/more neutral sounding rig with the VO and the more laidback/warmer sounding rig with the VC.

In my experience it was less about bright/neutral/warm and more about energy in the music with each pairing. I can pretty much dial in the sound signature using the DAC filters on the TT2 and pad rolls on the Verites.

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #4,062 of 9,521

I am currently using the Qutest w/ Liquid Platinum or GSX mini with the VO. Both amps pair well with the Qutest DAC and VO.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #4,063 of 9,521
Apr 11, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #4,064 of 9,521
Very well said. You make several good points. I was just about to say that I’ve heard many high end headphones that have excellent resolution. I used to own the he1000se, Final d8000, and LCD 4Z, for example. Plus I would say the 800/800S also have TOTL resolution. But none of those do to me what the Verite does. They don’t hypnotize me to the point where I feel like I’m being wrapped in the music like a sonic blanket.

So I think you’re on to something. Maybe it’s because of the combination of all of those traits you mentioned above. They let you just “let go” and relax to the point that the musical experience becomes hyper real.
I am in the mood for a second headphone besides my Focal Clear and I was especially looking into the Final Audio D8000/D8000 Pro and the Audeze LCD4 / / LCD4z.
But your post about the Verite being so immersive totally intrigued me. And since it so happens that I have a chance to buy a like new Verite for a good price, I might take the plunge and buy a headphone, I have not auditioned before.
I have just one question left, which you might be able to answer:
Is the bass sufficient to enjoy bass heavier music like EDM, Dubstep, etc...?
Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #4,065 of 9,521
I am in the mood for a second headphone besides my Focal Clear and I was especially looking into the Final Audio D8000/D8000 Pro and the Audeze LCD4 / / LCD4z.
But your post about the Verite being so immersive totally intrigued me. And since it so happens that I have a chance to buy a like new Verite for a good price, I might take the plunge and buy a headphone, I have not auditioned before.
I have just one question left, which you might be able to answer:
Is the bass sufficient to enjoy bass heavier music like EDM, Dubstep, etc...?
Thanks in advance.

Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back