ZMF Verite Open
Sep 1, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #2,806 of 9,512
For anyone who is on the fence with regards to entering the Verite club... I am looking to sell my LTD Verite Pheasant wood, but fret not - it is to finance buying a Verite LTD with Cocobolo wood.
So, if you're looking to get a cheaper ticket for entering the Verite club - here is my FS post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-zmf-verite-ltd-pheasant-wood.914204/

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #2,807 of 9,512
H0IoJIJ.jpg
Just picked up my Verite Open. Spend half an hour demo'ing it with a Chord TT2. Knowing that the Chord unit is slightly on the lean side of neutral, I wasn't concerned by some minor issues in the treble. Sure enough, when I put the Verite on my home rig it is as spectacular as I expected, without any treble bother.

This headphone is what the Focal Utopia should have been. I jumped on the Utopia hype train and bought one way too early without demo'ing it first. I could live with the small (but very precise) sound stage, but I could not live with Focal's tuning. Not my thing.

Almost pulled the trigger on the E2, but decided to wait for someone to build a headphone with similar technical capabilities to the Utopia, but with tuning more in line with my tastes. The Verite seems to be ticking that box for me. At last, a headphone worthy of the hype.

The headphone is the store unit, but I was the first customer to try it. Only one or two of the store staff had used it, briefly. So it still has very few hours on it. Should become more relaxed with a few more hours on it - however it is stunning as is.

This headphone rewards upstream components. My home rig is detailed below. This is giving results significantly more pleasing than the TT2 I used in store.

PC->ethernet->Metrum Ambre->I2S->Metrum Pavane->GS-X Mk2

My Pavane has been upgrade to Adagio standard with DAC TWO modules. Superb R2R NOS DAC for those that might be in the market for one. I found the move to I2S feed with the Ambre unit well worth the money. It improves on the Singxer SU-1/AES feed significantly.

Will fire up the Glenn 300B amp shortly and see how that performs.

EDIT - to get the image working. My Gorilla hands struggle sometimes.

Congrats!

Interestingly enough, I find the Verite sounds best out of my TT2’s warm (3) filter, so I think I know what you’re saying.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #2,808 of 9,512
Congrats!

Interestingly enough, I find the Verite sounds best out of my TT2’s warm (3) filter, so I think I know what you’re saying.

I liked everything about the TT2 except the treble/tonality. Just a little bit off, but it also could have been the Verite I was using as it was almost pristine. Chord managed to pack a lot of sonic goodness into a small package with the TT2.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,809 of 9,512
How about the Mjolnir 2 vs the Liquid Platinum? I cannot really get an OTL because most of my other cans are low impedance planars and don't want to buy an amp just for the Verite.

It's a little off-thread, but from my experience, don't be so fast to say, "most of my other cans are low impedance planars" (which wouldn't sound good on an OTL).

I have a Woo WA3, an affordable OTL that I purchased w/the upgraded driver tubes. Just love the sound of this thing w/any high impedance HPs I've tried it with (ie, Eikon; Aeolus; JAR650/modded HD650).

But I also got terrific sound out of 3 relatively low-impedance planars: Meze Empyrean; HEX v2l; & a pre-fazor LCD 2.1. There are solid technical reasons why OTLs don't sound like ass on planars, but do on low impedance dynamics.

Based on my experience, any decent OTL will be just fine w/low impedance planars...

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2,812 of 9,512
It's a little off-thread, but from my experience, don't be so fast to say, "most of my other cans are low impedance planars" (which wouldn't sound good on an OTL).

I have a Woo WA3, an affordable OTL that I purchased w/the upgraded driver tubes. Just love the sound of this thing w/any high impedance HPs I've tried it with (ie, Eikon; Aeolus; JAR650/modded HD650).

But I also got terrific sound out of 3 relatively low-impedance planars: Meze Empyrean; HEX v2l; & a pre-fazor LCD 2.1. There are solid technical reasons why OTLs don't sound like ass on planars, but do on low impedance dynamics.

Based on my experience, any decent OTL will be just fine w/low impedance planars...
Add the GOTL to the list of OTLs that can drive low impedance headphones rather well.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #2,813 of 9,512
Perhaps you should just get a few amps. :)

LCD-3f sounds good on GOTL but Studio Six is better with it. Verite is good on both GOTL and Studio Six but GOTL has the slight edge.

Meanwhile the Sansui au alpha 907mr is sulking away because as good the Sansui is, this tube amp fanatic just prefer to play with tube amps more.

IMG-3384.JPG

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #2,814 of 9,512
Just received my 3rd pair of Vérité in Cocobolo with the newly-offered copper rods/grilles, and have to say I'm thrilled with how they turned out:

So, having these set for home and my secondary rig, the next question is going to be what wood to go with for a pair of Vérité C (for which I have a review-set in Monkeypod) that I've been enjoying, and that have exhibited some interesting changes during burn-in ... which are apparent in measurements done when they first arrived and since with a bit over 100 hours on them).
---

Why "3rd pair"? I originally bought the Pheasantwood set during the initial pre-order and loved them - enough to buy a 2nd pair for another location. I went with Ziricote for the 2nd set, and was so taken by the look of those that I decided I wanted to swap my Pheasantwood for Ziricote (posted here for sale/trade with that aim). Timing worked out such that the Cocobolo option just surfaced, and I liked those as much, or better than the Ziricote, so in the end I opted to order the set you see above. So, I only own two pairs ... but they're the third I've had in my hands and probably my favorite looking so far (they all sound fantastic).

That is spectacular cocobolo, really special

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2,815 of 9,512

Wouldn't damage the amp though?

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,816 of 9,512
Wouldn't damage the amp though?

Not at all. I suppose if the planar was an extreme power hog and I pushed the OTL into extreme clipping, that would cause damage. But w/the 3 planars I tried, I barely got the volume knob to 11:00-11:30. Plenty of power.

In fact, planars represent a more stable impedance load to the amp than any dynamic headphones would be...

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2,817 of 9,512

Is it true the WA3 is just a modified Darkvoice? Just worried I will loose a lot of detail and maybe tight bass with the planars and maybe even the Verite too.

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #2,819 of 9,512
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #2,820 of 9,512
Is it true the WA3 is just a modified Darkvoice?

Nope. They are totally different tube amps. I had a Darkvoice 336se once. Had Elise, Euforia, La Figaro 339 but I've never owned a Woo Audio amp. Did have the Woo Audio WA5le for 2 weeks, courtesy of a friend. Had Takatsuki 300b tubes and EML rectifiers. That was nice with Utopia, Abyss 1266 and HD800 that I tried.

Even had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP for 6 months before I sold it. Pretty good with HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back